• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    Given the lack of true blue chip prospects in the draft, it could be tough to trade down - have to find a team in love with a player to do it. But if we could, I'd be all for it given our cap space this year.
    Careful shopping will lead to positive results. Blue-chip at #21 or can we move up 5 spots and take a player we really like not named Bijan...
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Barring injury to KA or MW a rookie WR won't get a lot of snaps in 2023. Same with Bosa-Mack-Edge.
      We're looking for depth- 2024 at WR- Edge.
      Planning to go deep on 2023 playoffs, I want to upgrade starters at TE and penetrating DL They're 1 & 2 for me.Edge in 3. WR day 3- UDFA

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
        On adding a wr (theory) I have seen allot of Podcasts focusing our need at WR as a slot wr type of player. I think this is short sighted and wrong. At least in how we have approached the wide receiver play we have had. I'm sure most of you know all our receivers play about 1/3rd of their snaps from the slot. A dedicated slot receiver will likely play the bench when we run KA or MW from the slot and that limits his usefulness. I do not see us using a pick before day 3 on a slot only guy. Second it is clear that after this year or next year KA will be gone. Any WR we draft we should figure to be a compliment to BMW and or Joshua Palmer. In this way a guy who can play outside or inside and develope into a 1a or 1b receiver in the next two to three years should be the goal if we are drafting in the first three rounds in my opinion.
        agree. Palmer was drafted to be KA's eventual replacement as possession WR.... MW is a rare kind of giant WR which is unusual and hard find or replace....both are great at some things but neither is a true number 1 all round complete WR with size, speed, rout running, etc... who can take over a game by themselves...

There do not seem to be any true number one type WR's in this draft, so we should not draft one in round one, but there are a number of guys who can play various roles, and there are a number of speedy deep threat WR's who can do returns reverses, etc(which we badly need a couple of)who can be found after the first round.....

Chargers have enough needs we should be drafting BPA every pick.... that is how the great organizations become great and stay great.... the great organizations tend to have multiple first rounders on OL and DL because great ones are hard to find and those positions have longer careers than most other positions do providing more bang for the buck.

The Chargers will pass on great players just because we already have ONE at that position.....taking a lesser quality player instead..... we take players who have injury histories over healthy players with s character issue.... and then use injuries as an excuse for losing......

There is nothing wrong with having 5 first rounders on the OL or DL.... you can never have too many pass rushers, RB's, WR's..... CB's.....

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
          Barring injury to KA or MW a rookie WR won't get a lot of snaps in 2023. Same with Bosa-Mack-Edge.
          Planning to go deep on 2023 playoffs, I want to upgrade starters at TE and penetrating DL They're 1 & 2 for me.Edge in 3. WR day 3- UDFA
          I am just the opposite - WR on Day 2 in Round 2 or 3

Agree about Edge and TE though- if they stay at 21 in Round 1 Even Bijan who won't be there

Palmer for me is a JAG - he's not BIP Mathews but nothing special. He would be WR4. TE, Edge and WR are top 3 on my board

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
            I'm going to disagree at edge. We can use a guy to spell Mack/Bosa so they don't tire out in Q4. At WR we really don't have a good slot guy.
            I think this year would be perfect to get one. They tend to be smaller quicker guys and we don't need to spend a 1st to get one.

If we're going to stick with the 3/4 we need a legit NT. Not sure there's even one available this year. But DL would be nice.

On the fence for TE in the 1st. There are 5 pretty decent ones. Pretty sure we can land one of those in the 2nd round. Talent wise I'm not sure there's that much
            difference although some are very different players. So depends on what we want out of a TE.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

I'm going to disagree at edge. We can use a guy to spell Mack/Bosa so they don't tire out in Q4. At WR we really don't have a good slot guy.
              I think this year would be perfect to get one. They tend to be smaller quicker guys and we don't need to spend a 1st to get one.

If we're going to stick with the 3/4 we need a legit NT. Not sure there's even one available this year. But DL would be nice.

On the fence for TE in the 1st. There are 5 pretty decent ones. Pretty sure we can land one of those in the 2nd round. Talent wise I'm not sure there's that much
              difference although some are very different players. So depends on what we want out of a TE.
              You keep making my point about trading back.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

You keep making my point about trading back.
                I'm all for it assuming there isn't a stud @ #21. Unfortunately trading down is not TT's strong suit. If anything the guy may move up.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

I'm all for it assuming there isn't a stud @ #21. Unfortunately trading down is not TT's strong suit. If anything the guy may move up.
                  I said it before - but sure, if there is a stud, not even Bijan - but a top 15 guy on your draft board, he is not a QB - you take him

but if you have a bunch of guys ranked in the 20-25 range and they are all pretty close -- and you get that extra 3rd rounder - that might make your team better

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Some good stuff including trying to bring back Deandre Carter if the price is right.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Weapons.
                      WR. TE. RB.
                      Any of the above.
                      Just weapons.
                      To me,
                      stretching the field horizontally means not necessarily speed getting to the EDGE,
                      but someone who can elude or break tackles..
                      We need YAC, cheap yards.
                      A vertical field stretcher probably might be someone with pure deep speed.
                      But it can also be other things.
                      Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                        Given the lack of true blue chip prospects in the draft, it could be tough to trade down - have to find a team in love with a player to do it. But if we could, I'd be all for it given our cap space this year.
                        Don't rookie salaries come out of some sort of pool? Money set aside for that, specifically? What I'm asking is that would trading down - from 21, which is pretty low - to something lower, save us *that* much money? Serious question.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Don't rookie salaries come out of some sort of pool? Money set aside for that, specifically? What I'm asking is that would trading down - from 21, which is pretty low - to something lower, save us *that* much money? Serious question.
                          Pointless...our rookie pool is around $8 mil with the first rounder at $2.7 mil. Even if we moved up to #15 pick is only $3.14 or Pie.
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X