• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Many years before the Titans pulled that crap on Lights Out,
    Steve Wisniewski and Don Mosebar of the Raiders tried to destroy Leslie O'Neal's knee on a dirty play.
    Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Listened to a little of teh Guilty as Charged crossover podcast with Popper and they asked about Allen back to the Chargers. Popper put the number 38.57% or something. So his thought was just follow the math. The Chargers are not a team to restructure and move money down the road like other teams. Plus Allen's age it doesn't make sense to move money for one year

Popper also thought they should have drafted a faster WR last year and now they have too for sure - probably the first round.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
        Listened to a little of teh Guilty as Charged crossover podcast with Popper and they asked about Allen back to the Chargers. Popper put the number 38.57% or something. So his thought was just follow the math. The Chargers are not a team to restructure and move money down the road like other teams. Plus Allen's age it doesn't make sense to move money for one year

Popper also thought they should have drafted a faster WR last year and now they have too for sure - probably the first round.

We’ll see, I’m not sure cutting or trading herbert’s favorite weapon is the best way to convince him to sign an extension, the spanos need to realize that in this new era players, especially one’s like herbert, have more power than ever…look at what dak prescott did in dallas and what lamar is doing in baltimore…even a nice kid like herbert doesn’t want to feel like his career is being wasted…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

We’ll see, I’m not sure cutting or trading herbert’s favorite weapon is the best way to convince him to sign an extension, the spanos need to realize that in this new era players, especially one’s like herbert, have more power than ever…look at what dak prescott did in dallas and what lamar is doing in baltimore…even a nice kid like herbert doesn’t want to feel like his career is being wasted…
          Herbert is not going anywhere - they can franchise
          Herbert probably wants to win - what if they can go like the Saints and draft a player like "Olave" who played very well his rookie year - Saints fans forgot about Michael Thomas
          Its the crappy part of the NFL - but when they made the moves last year - this was the result this year

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Herbert probably wants to win - what if they can go like the Saints and draft a player like "Olave" who played very well his rookie year - Saints fans forgot about Michael Thomas
            Its the crappy part of the NFL - but when they made the moves last year - this was the result this year
            think the Chargers woulda drafted Olave if they coulda, but you can't say shoulda coz him, Garrett Wilson and Jamison Williams were all off the board well before 17.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

think the Chargers woulda drafted Olave if they coulda, but you can't say shoulda coz him, Garrett Wilson and Jamison Williams were all off the board well before 17.
              Five WRs were picked before the Chargers and Burks was picked right - so 6 of the top 18 picks were WR. Its such a position of need this year.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Agree, I'll believe it when I see it. And just don't think we are going to see it.

We will do things like not bring back Adderley, hopefully let Murray go or trade him, hopefully do something with Bosa's contract, cut Fieler, cut Hopkins.

Just can't see Keenan going anywhere. It would be shocking anyways.
                Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-25-2023, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Interesting thread about the salary cap and what to do. I think you extend Davis to free up some more cap. Herbert’s deal might help but who knows when that’ll happen this year. Basically need to stay under the cap and have him room to resign some internal guys and draft picks.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                    Interesting thread about the salary cap and what to do. I think you extend Davis to free up some more cap. Herbert’s deal might help but who knows when that’ll happen this year. Basically need to stay under the cap and have him room to resign some internal guys and draft picks.

I read that yesterday - I did think some good points were made .

Bosa - they can actually do more than two years - they can put some void years or extend the deal to get more cap space
                    Mack - at his age - not too sure I want to kick the can that much

Some of the others like Linsley and Davis probably make sense
                    JC Jackson - not sure I want to kick the can unless he is healthy

Allen makes the most sense: age combined with how they need to upgrade the roster at that position. Look at the receivers for the teams playing Sunday
                    Kelce -- he is a unicorn
                    SF has Deebo and Aiyuk, even Kittle
                    Bengals have Chase, Boyd and Higgins
                    Eagles have Brown and Smith
                    Hell even some receivers last weekL Kirk, Lamb, Diggs

Call the Bears - take their 4th and call it good.

Last thing - if you trade Allen - not only does it help with this years cap - it gives you some flexibility in free agency this year as you have created 23m of cap space in 2024. If you pay Allen his money but make it a signing bonus that is owed in teh future- all of the sudden - some of that flexibility in 2024 goes away. Now if he wants to take a pay cut by half - I think that might make some sense

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Saints fans forgot about Thomas because he has been on the field 3 times the last two seasons and 10 times in three seasons.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

I read that yesterday - I did think some good points were made .

Bosa - they can actually do more than two years - they can put some void years or extend the deal to get more cap space
                        Mack - at his age - not too sure I want to kick the can that much

Some of the others like Linsley and Davis probably make sense
                        JC Jackson - not sure I want to kick the can unless he is healthy

Allen makes the most sense: age combined with how they need to upgrade the roster at that position. Look at the receivers for the teams playing Sunday
                        Kelce -- he is a unicorn
                        SF has Deebo and Aiyuk, even Kittle
                        Bengals have Chase, Boyd and Higgins
                        Eagles have Brown and Smith
                        Hell even some receivers last weekL Kirk, Lamb, Diggs

Call the Bears - take their 4th and call it good.

Last thing - if you trade Allen - not only does it help with this years cap - it gives you some flexibility in free agency this year as you have created 23m of cap space in 2024. If you pay Allen his money but make it a signing bonus that is owed in teh future- all of the sudden - some of that flexibility in 2024 goes away. Now if he wants to take a pay cut by half - I think that might make some sense
                        I don’t want restructuring for any older players like Mack or Linsley. I do think Davis earned another short term extension.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                          I don’t want restructuring for any older players like Mack or Linsley. I do think Davis earned another short term extension.
                          Cutting Mack will create $9M in dead cap. If you can restructure with similar results that's what you do. The bigger problem is
                          Bosa. He'll cost $31M unless we do something. Can't cut him as that will create $38M in dead cap. Trade with that contract
                          is probably unlikely. So again we may entertain restructure. Interesting times. We went all in this last year and didn't get the
                          results. Now we will pay the price.

Comment

Working...
                          X