• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

Maybe. Lots of wishful thinking like promoting someone who was on the same staff last year and expecting improvement, but I would like to hold out hope too.

To start the season, OAK rolled us for 4.9 ypr. KC for 5.2 , JAX 4.2 and HOU 9.4. So those guys weren't great before they got hurt. I hope I'm wrong but brace yourself for the worst.
    Improvement is not guaranteed. Different is absolute.
    We didn't get many games together before the wheels started falling off last year. Lots of new to get working as a team- didn't happen.
    I expect that slap in the face still stings.
    IMO We'll be better and will continue to improve as long as we are reasonably healthy.

ps: When did Herbert get the rib injury? Slater go on IR? KA out? Part of the plan was put up a lot of points on O, force more passing to keep up.
    That was educational. Don't count on help from Lombardi's offense. We were #13 scoring offense for the year, averaging less than 20 ppg the 1st 3 games.
    Enter Kellen Moore.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Improvement is not guaranteed. Different is absolute.
      We didn't get many games together before the wheels started falling off last year. Lots of new to get working as a team- didn't happen.
      I expect that slap in the face still stings.
      IMO We'll be better and will continue to improve as long as we are reasonably healthy.

ps: When did Herbert get the rib injury? Slater go on IR? KA out? Part of the plan was put up a lot of points on O, force more passing to keep up.
      That was educational. Don't count on help from Lombardi's offense. We were #13 scoring offense for the year, averaging less than 20 ppg the 1st 3 games.
      Enter Kellen Moore.
      I'm in the mindset that it really can't be worse....
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I’m of the mindset it will definitely be better. Defense will improve without half the starters on IR for 80% of the season and another year to gel. LB upgraded. Hope they sign JJ and S group looks much better than last year.

Offense will be better with Moore, Slater back, Salyer to LG and Moore installing a rush blocking scheme they can execute. Expect draft adds some tasty skill pieces to the pie.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

QB2 is Easton Stick.
          that's the/a problem.... Staley already showed his hand in mismanaging Herbert's health when it was clear that he was in jeopardy of getting really hurt.

would like a QB2 that we can go to without hesitation.... 'specially when it involves the health/well being of the face of the franchise.

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
            Tranquill ended up being better than I anticipated. Having said that, he was not very good vs the run. That's why we brought in Eric Kendricks. His read/react skills are better than Tranquill's. IMO, LB is still on the draft radar. With the K9 contract up at the end of the season, we should be looking for an off-ball LB that can cover RB's and TE's well. If we find a guy that can blitz on occasion... we will have addressed our needs.

DeMarvion Overshown (3rd round)
            Owen Pappoe (4th round)
            Dee Winters (5th round)
            would like to address things sooner there >> Drew Sanders, Jack Campbell, Noah Sewell.... would like more of a traditional MLB, and.... get one of your types if and when they might fall to us, and.... if that's not 'til next year, that's fine as well.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

LOL! We won 10 games and made the playoffs. There's a LOT of room to get worse.
              I would agree that it shouldn't. 11-6 & a playoff W or better.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

would like to address things sooner there >> Drew Sanders, Jack Campbell, Noah Sewell.... would like more of a traditional MLB, and.... get one of your types if and when they might fall to us, and.... if that's not 'til next year, that's fine as well.
                IMO, Drew Sanders isn't slotted for us. It would seem to be a reach @#21. I think there will be a CB there. Campbell and Sewell are more true MIKE's. With the acquisition of Hendricks, I think the Chargers are pushing that need off for a couple of years. The more immediate need would be a replacement @WILL for when K9's contract expires.

WILL (2023 draft)
                MIKE (2024 draft)

A lot of WILL possibilities in this year's draft IMO.
                OLineCentric

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2022
                  • White Rock, BC Canada
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

LOL! We won 10 games and made the playoffs. There's a LOT of room to get worse.
                  I would agree that it shouldn't. 11-6 & a playoff W or better.
                  Not sure about all the doom and gloom here.

Playoff game was embarassing but the team went 10-7 with a brutal amount of injuries. Team never really got to play together for any real stretch of games. This is still one of the better rosters in the NFL and Lombardi is gone.

Schedule is hard this year and the Chargers will have to beat some good teams this year though.

I think 11-6 is possible.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Oklahoma
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Wrbanwal View Post

Regards,

manti Te’o and Larry English
                    AJ Smith 2nd round disaster Jonas Mouton (4.86 forty time) says hello as well

Comment

• LarryAW
                      Chargers fan since 1970
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Chula Vista, CA
                      • retired paralegal/court reporter
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Charbonet from ucla is the correct answer…
                      Works for me. Been a Chargers fan far too long to expect no OL injuries or breakdowns, or expect the top WRs to play together all season long. So, a big back, really helps.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

that's the/a problem.... Staley already showed his hand in mismanaging Herbert's health when it was clear that he was in jeopardy of getting really hurt.

would like a QB2 that we can go to without hesitation.... 'specially when it involves the health/well being of the face of the franchise.
                        That opinion was contradicted by events. The facts are in, you were wrong.

I agree they should get a different QB2
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• beachcomber
                          & ramblin' man
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

QB Herbert, Stick * the usual roster deficit, as Easton has not shown he is an NFL quality passer.... Stidham went to Denver for $5m, don't know what Gardner Minshew is up to, and not really a fan of the likes of a Joe Flacco or Carson Wentz, and.... not really eager to repeat the chit show from last year in KC.... Justin deserves better.

RB Ekeler, Kelley, Spiller, Rountree, Horvath * have been a Kelley fan/supporter since day one, and would still hope he learns to loosen up a bit and revert to his more natural form as an RB, similar to how he ran as a Bruin, and.... not sold on Spiller yet, and willing to replace Rountree w/a draft pick, or rather a FA. turns out that signing Michel last offseason was too little too late and not helpful.... we need to do better.... we need to sign a D'Ernest Johnson or better, and not later, but now, otherwise this will be yet another roster deficit, and as a direct result of being too top heavy in talent. otherwise UDFA Travis Dye is a priority given the Ekeler saga, and would look to bring in Ulysses Bentley IV as well.

WR Keenan, MW, Palmer * am in the resign Guyton and Carter camp, as not sold that a speed merchant is gonna change the fortunes of Chargers football. how much firepower does one team need, not to mention we've got Ek 'n Everett to boot. we need some better health, and.... not sure Palmer was the optimum draft pick here, albeit he is def not a bust, and.... not sure resigning MW was the shrewdest move, and.... we could do worse. @present, have no problems w/this five. if we for some reason don't resign the aforementioned, am intrigued some by Andrei Iosivas in the draft and w/Justin Shorter as an UDFA.

TE Everett, Parham, McKitty, Smartt * was ok w/the Rodgers signing last offseason, and don't mind Donald back, albeit barely know much 'bout Stone, and don't think it wise to pass on Kincaid if he is there round one, 'specially given that Gerald's contract comes to a close @season's end.... don't look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth.... bring in the talent @TE.... it's Charger football.

OT Rashawn, Pips, Sarell * obviously we have Jamaree for the if and when need be here as well, and not sure I want to go into things w/just Foster as our third wheel here, and.... like Connor Galvin some in the draft, albeit not so humored that he weighs in just under the 300 mark.

OG Jamaree, Zion, Jaimes * not sure the latter survives camp cuts, and do think someone comes to us via the draft, and whether that's O'Cyrus early or the likes of a Henry Bainivalu and/or Antoni Mafi day three, and as.... not sure Aboushi is gonna return.

OC Linsley, Clapp * wasn't comfortable w/the depth here last offseason, and.... ditto for this offseason. Joe Tippmann round two makes some sense, as haven't really caught wind of anyone here in FA.

Comment

Working...
                          X