Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

That could work too. Jalen Carter would help quite a bit.

I think their plan is to move Salyer to RT.
    And the 5 OL will be Slater, Feiler, Linsley, Johnson, Salyer.
    I think they like the starting WR/TE group they have will add to it, but not with Rd1 pick.

if they go offense in Rd1, RB makes the most sense. It's just Ekeler and a bunch of JAGs. And Bijan would get 200 or more touches run and pass.

Defense has needs at every level so using Rd1 to improve there make sense as well.

Telesco has always like players that put the ball in the endzone. So, I think Bijan is very much a target for him in Rd1.
    We have the league's leading TD maker already.

I think they'll re-sign Pipkins and Salyer will be the swing Tackle.

I think I see more need at TE than I see at RB. Everett is fine but you need two and I don't see another. One of the others is an injury waiting to happen and one can't catch and didn't turn into the blocker they thought he'd be. If Kincaid is available at 21, he's my pick. If Bijan is there at 21, he's my pick but I really doubt that will happen and I'm opposed to trading up for him. Here's a fun thought for you - if Bijan falls to them, they turn Ekeler into the Chargers version of Edelman.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

That could work too. Jalen Carter would help quite a bit.

I think their plan is to move Salyer to RT.
      And the 5 OL will be Slater, Feiler, Linsley, Johnson, Salyer.
      I think they like the starting WR/TE group they have will add to it, but not with Rd1 pick.

if they go offense in Rd1, RB makes the most sense in round 1. It's just Ekeler and a bunch of JAGs. And Bijan would get 200 or more touches run and pass.

Defense has needs at every level so using Rd1 to improve there make sense as well.

Telesco has always like players that put the ball in the endzone. So, I think Bijan is very much a target for him in Rd1.
      I dont think RB makes the most sense on offence in round 1. Lets get Herbert a stud 1TE in the best TE draft in 10 years. Everett is lacking, Parnham cant stay healthy and McKitty is a bust. If Kincaid is there at 21 I would rather give Herbert our version of Kelce over a RB when we already have Ekler.

There are a ton of good FA RBS to compliment Ekler and some will be quite affordable. Some of them already know how to pick up an NFL blitz also. All better than Kelley. Some bigger better inside runners then Ekler for working the clock.

Long list:

Rashad Penny
      Alexander Mattison
      Raheem Mostart
      Miles Sanders
      Ernest Johnson
      Kareem Hunt
      Leonard Fournette
      Jamaal Williams
      David Montgomery
      D'onta Foreman
      Chase Edmonds
      James Robinson
      Samije Perine
      Damien Harris

You really think a 1st pick ona RB is needed? This is the deepest position in free agency and used RBs dont get big long term lucrative deals
      I also want some desperately needed speed at WR in rounds 2 or 3 before we use draft capital on RB, see above FA.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I understand how it works. You sure all good teams get comp picks?

Philly didn't have any last year and have 55 mil in dead cap this year.
        SF had 5, two 3rds from losing coaches....which I think is a BS rule.
        LV had 2, Arizona had 2 , Rams had 4 ...all worse this last season.
        Balt and Denver seem to always get them, no difference in their success.
        KC had 3, signed Free agents to compensate.

I'm just saying I wouldn't worry about comp picks if a FA can help me but this year we likely won't be signing any, maybe one.

I think we are resigning Pip.
        Baltimore got comp picks for 13 years in a row. And last year, Baltimore stayed away from free agency to protect comp picks when they lost a couple big money players

New England has done it in the past

The Rams traded away many picks but over a four year period - had the most draft picks of any team.

I get the fact that a lot of comp picks are 6th and 7th rounders - but it is still away to give yourself more draft picks.

But with the new found cap space - I am sure they will be pretty active in free agency so its probably a moot point. I truly hope Staley and Telesco are looking at their defense - status quo is not good enough

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I dont think RB makes the most sense on offence in round 1. Lets get Herbert a stud 1TE in the best TE draft in 10 years. Everett is lacking, Parnham cant stay healthy and McKitty is a bust. If Kincaid is there at 21 I would rather give Herbert our version of Kelce over a RB when we already have Ekler.

There are a ton of good FA RBS to compliment Ekler and some will be quite affordable. Some of them already know how to pick up an NFL blitz also. All better than Kelley. Some bigger better inside runners then Ekler for working the clock.

Long list:

Rashad Penny
          Alexander Mattison
          Raheem Mostart
          Miles Sanders
          Ernest Johnson
          Kareem Hunt
          Leonard Fournette
          Jamaal Williams
          David Montgomery
          D'onta Foreman
          Chase Edmonds
          James Robinson
          Samije Perine
          Damien Harris

You really think a 1st pick ona RB is needed? This is the deepest position in free agency and used RBs dont get big long term lucrative deals
          I also want some desperately needed speed at WR in rounds 2 or 3 before we use draft capital on RB, see above FA.
          Good point, Canada...just hope if we do sign a FA RB, he doesn't turn into the next Sony...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Good point, Canada...just hope if we do sign a FA RB, he doesn't turn into the next Sony...
            The Chargers do have Spiller -- hopefully he shows something

As it would be pretty bad to have to draft another RB and TE when Telesco spent good draft capital on Spiller and McKitty. I get if they are mistakes, you move forward. But damn...

And based on that list - I think I would wait on RB

Free agency has to be about OT (Pipkins or Player X) and LB (Wagner or Kendricks are intriguing names to me)

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Baltimore got comp picks for 13 years in a row. And last year, Baltimore stayed away from free agency to protect comp picks when they lost a couple big money players

New England has done it in the past

The Rams traded away many picks but over a four year period - had the most draft picks of any team.

I get the fact that a lot of comp picks are 6th and 7th rounders - but it is still away to give yourself more draft picks.

But with the new found cap space - I am sure they will be pretty active in free agency so its probably a moot point. I truly hope Staley and Telesco are looking at their defense - status quo is not good enough
              And Baltimore is about the same as always. Comp picks didnt get them to where they are.You sure thats why they stayed away? They draft pretty damn good. Better than us by a mile. Maybe they are just confident in doing that.

Getting comps is not a bad thing but this year isnt the year to worry about them when you arent losing anything worth while. I wouldnt refrain from signing a FA though to retain a possible 7th comp pick i might lose. Probably keeping Pip and doubt Tranq and Adderley bring anything.

We lost better players in 2021 and got 4 late rounders. Best was #214 and Telesco traded away the 7ths draft to gain a 6th this year. It depends on the draft and what you see in value late. They didnt see much i guess.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2022
                • White Rock, BC Canada
                • Send PM

Sony was never really good though

You want to add some speed to this offence? How about Raheem Mostert? He cost the Dolphins 2 million last year. Had 900 yards rushing...4.9 ave...31 receptions..5 TDs...and is a threat to break it any play. Still runs 4.38

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

And Baltimore is about the same as always. Comp picks didnt get them to where they are.You sure thats why they stayed away? They draft pretty damn good. Better than us by a mile. Maybe they are just confident in doing that.

Getting comps is not a bad thing but this year isnt the year to worry about them when you arent losing anything worth while. I wouldnt refrain from signing a FA though to retain a possible 7th comp pick i might lose. Probably keeping Pip and doubt Tranq and Adderley bring anything.

We lost better players in 2021 and got 4 late rounders. Best was #214 and Telesco traded away the 7ths draft to gain a 6th this year. It depends on the draft and what you see in value late. They didnt see much i guess.
                  Those are all fair points
                  I am not signing a free agent to win the comp game
                  but when evaluating two free agents and they are close in skill and dollars - i at least hope to hell Telesco is thinking that way

Comment

• electricgold
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                    I would never spend that kind of draft capital for Bijan. I like him, he's a good prospect but we don't need a RB that bad.

I'd probably do it for Jalen Carter and then I'd use him to beat the team that had Bijan.

You win in the NFL by having the best trenches.
                    I would not trade up for Bijan but I disagree we NEED a RB bad! We were ranked 30th in rushing yards per game last season. A good RB and we could jump up to at least top 16 which takes a lot of pressure off of Herbert and the passing game. IF the right TE is on the board consider it but Id take Branch or a top RT over a TE in the first round if Bijan is gone like he probably will be, and think about Gibbs in the 2nd or even Zach Charbonnet in the 3rd, if any of these RB's fall to us.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Sony was never really good though

You want to add some speed to this offence? How about Raheem Mostert? He cost the Dolphins 2 million last year. Had 900 yards rushing...4.9 ave...31 receptions..5 TDs...and is a threat to break it any play. Still runs 4.38
                      Mostert has been injured a lot...but worth a look anyways...

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

Mostert has been injured a lot...but worth a look anyways...
                        He has yes but that is why you get him for a reasonable cost. Last year he came through pretty well. We woud take 900 yards 31 receptions and 5 TDS playing with Ekler plus the speed threat.

There were a handful of other very competent RBS on that list I had in this thread. I bet James Robinson wouldnt cost all that much right now. Cant tell me he isnt better than Kelley. Wonder what Mattison will sign for, probably more...he is a stud waiting for opportunity.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2022
                          • Send PM

I can't see the Charger's using their 1st rnd pick on a RB much less trading up for one. They are going to have to find and eventual replacement for KA and Mack and possibly Bosa. They also need help at LBer as well as online. I would be absolutely shocked if they pick a RB in rnd 1.
                          1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                          2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                          2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                          3a- #66 Puni OT
                          3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                          4a- #105 Rice WR
                          4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                          5- #140 Green CB
                          6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

Working...
                          X