• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SK21209
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2020
    • San Diego
    • Send PM

Draft a WR and sign Schultz seems ideal. Leaves us with our second and third rounders to bring in legitimate depth at key positions, probably EDGE and O-Line. With the depth of this RB free agent class I suspect they'll look to free agency there as well.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
      Draft a WR and sign Schultz seems ideal. Leaves us with our second and third rounders to bring in legitimate depth at key positions, probably EDGE and O-Line. With the depth of this RB free agent class I suspect they'll look to free agency there as well.
      Popper had a list last week of targets for the Chargers since they are up against the cap. I actually like the idea of multiple players that might equal Schultz from a cap perspective. Hard to think both Van Noy and Fox will be back; plus Pip and Tranq. I think Telesco needs to do some minor cheap not cap busting signings to get back RT, LB, Edge and DL depth.

Granted if they release Everett but not sure he was that bad last year

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Have your guys listened to the recent GAC episode? They used OTC’s cap calculator to get under the cap with restructures and cuts and stuff…

I used it today just for kicks and I challenged myself to use in a such a way that it does less damage to future years than what the guys on GAC did. Right now OTC says we are about 21mil over the cap…the most obvious moves are cutting fieler and hopkins which brings the chargers to 13.5 mil over the cap…

then I traded joey bosa which cleared 17 mil and put the team at 3.5 mil under the cap…then I did a max restructure on mike williams and that cleared like 6.5 mil more to about 10 mil under the cap…then I extended michael davis and austin ekeler each for 2 years running to age 30 for both or the year 2025, and those extensions reduced their cap hit from 17.5 mil combined between the two to about 11 mil combined which cleared an additional 6.5 mill…bringing the team to almost 17mil under the cap, but the biggest benefit of trading joey is what happens in 2024 when the chargers will have over 36 mil in cap space to spend on a justin herbert extension, meaning that if they do these moves they only lose one significant starter but they gain significant draft capital which can be used to replace him, plus they get the cap space needed to work out herbert’s extension after june 1st

so two cuts, one trade, one restructure, and two extensions and the team will have 17mil to sign draft picks, re-sign pipkins (if they choose), and plenty left over to manage in season expenses plus maybe bring back a couple of their veteran free agent players at reasonable vet salaries again, maybe callahan or van noy or both, maybe just fox or carter…plus these moves allows them to tender all of their restricted and exclusive rights guys as well, so guys like guyton, fehoko, gaziano, dicker, sarrell, parham, hall…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2021
          • Send PM

This is the way

Comment

• beachcomber
            & ramblin' man
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
            Have your guys listened to the recent GAC episode? They used OTC’s cap calculator to get under the cap with restructures and cuts and stuff…

I used it today just for kicks and I challenged myself to use in a such a way that it does less damage to future years than what the guys on GAC did. Right now OTC says we are about 21mil over the cap…the most obvious moves are cutting fieler and hopkins which brings the chargers to 13.5 mil over the cap…

then I traded joey bosa which cleared 17 mil and put the team at 3.5 mil under the cap…then I did a max restructure on mike williams and that cleared like 6.5 mil more to about 10 mil under the cap…then I extended michael davis and austin ekeler each for 2 years running to age 30 for both or the year 2025, and those extensions reduced their cap hit from 17.5 mil combined between the two to about 11 mil combined which cleared an additional 6.5 mill…bringing the team to almost 17mil under the cap, but the biggest benefit of trading joey is what happens in 2024 when the chargers will have over 36 mil in cap space to spend on a justin herbert extension, meaning that if they do these moves they only lose one significant starter but they gain significant draft capital which can be used to replace him, plus they get the cap space needed to work out herbert’s extension after june 1st

so two cuts, one trade, one restructure, and two extensions and the team will have 17mil to sign draft picks, re-sign pipkins (if they choose), and plenty left over to manage in season expenses plus maybe bring back a couple of their veteran free agent players at reasonable vet salaries again, maybe callahan or van noy or both, maybe just fox or carter…plus these moves allows them to tender all of their restricted and exclusive rights guys as well, so guys like guyton, fehoko, gaziano, dicker, sarrell, parham, hall…
            am down.... save for I would extend Keenan rather than MW.

Comment

• rensoul
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2023
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I truly just don't want the only major move on the offense is bringing in Schultz but not upgrade the WR room with speed (Doss, Guyton don't count)
              I would be shocked if they don't try to add a WR with speed/YAC ability within the first 3 rounds of the draft. It's too obvious of a problem and they likely don't have the money to sign or trade for someone good.

Comment

• rensoul
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2023
                • Send PM

Popper had a list last week of targets for the Chargers since they are up against the cap. I actually like the idea of multiple players that might equal Schultz from a cap perspective. Hard to think both Van Noy and Fox will be back; plus Pip and Tranq. I think Telesco needs to do some minor cheap not cap busting signings to get back RT, LB, Edge and DL depth.

Granted if they release Everett but not sure he was that bad last year
                Everett isn't a bad player he just has some tendencies that make him about average at best.
                He's a very good YAC player but isn't a consistent threat down the seams or against tight man coverage imo.
                Also, he has a penchant for timely drops which is an awful trait for a TE1.

If they don't sign a guy like Schultz I expect Everett to be back for another year.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

The newest Charger rumor is that Drue Tranquill is too costly for the Chargers to sign. Are any of the current LBs on the squad ready to step in as a replacement? — @MorOfUsThanThem

The Chargers do not have a linebacker on the roster who can replace everything Tranquill did for Staley’s defense. He is a complete linebacker. He covers well in man and zone. He is a disciplined run defender. He emerged as a weapon as a pass rusher last season. And that is not even mentioning what he brings to the field with his football intelligence. Staley turned to Tranquill as the defensive signal-caller in Week 4 last season, and Tranquill kept that role for the remainder of the season.

Tranquill has played his way into a multiyear contract. And the Chargers will have to decide if additional cost-cutting moves are worth making to re-sign Tranquill. Extensions for in-house players can happen at any time after the season ends.

I do not think Tranquill will be too costly for the Chargers. Depending on how his market shakes out, I would expect Tranquill to sign a deal in the $6-to-8 million average annual value range. If the Chargers offer him a three-year contract at that AAV, they could massage the cap hit to the $4 million range for 2023. For example, Feiler signed a three-year, $21 million deal in 2021. His first-year cap hit was $5 million, according to Over The Cap.

Tranquill and right tackle Trey Pipkins III are the Chargers’ two most important in-house free agents. Put them in any order you want. I think the Chargers should do what is necessary cap-wise to re-sign both.

Drue Tranquill should be one of the Chargers’ biggest in-house priorities. (Harry How / Getty Images)
                  really don't agree w/the narrative above on Drue Tranquill.... in fact if I substitute the eval from Zierlein on Henry To'oto'o, don't think we're too far off from a Drue eval:

Assignment-oriented linebacker whose play is steady but unspectacular. (Tranquill) is tough but lacks thump inside and doesn’t have the speed to cut off angles and stop outside run plays before they get to the corner. He’s a good technician but his play is a little more conservative than it will need to be with relatively average traits. (Tranquill) is always under control and generally where he needs to be. He’s just average in coverage and will need to become much more consistent as an open-field tackler. Good backup to below-average starter could be his career path whether he plays inside or outside.

Strengths
                  • Operates with above average technical savvy.
                  • Strikes the block with decent pop and leverage.
                  • Extends and separates from blocker to stay pursuit-ready.
                  • Rarely drifts too far into the forest while diagnosing the action.
                  • Scrapes efficiently to the action with squared pads.
                  • Consistent to mirror runner’s cuts and lane choices.
                  • Operates with good discipline against zone read.
                  • Adequate athleticism for spot drops in coverage.
                  ​Weaknesses
                  • Missing desired stopping force to be a thumper.
                  • Needs faster downhill flow to disrupt block timing.
                  • Inconsistent balance taking on second-level blocks.
                  • Lacks the range to hunt and tackle from sideline to sideline.
                  • Below average eye-balance, losing track of receivers.
                  • Leggy change of direction in open field leads to missed tackles.

Sources Tell Us
                  “He knows how to play and he’ll be on a roster for a long time but I don’t see him as a dynamic playmaker.” -- Executive for AFC team
                  and as mentioned before, I was off on my dislike for Weddle, and may be cutting Drue the short end of the stick, and.... really miss Denzel knifing thru the line to make a tackle for loss, and standing ball carriers up in the hole for zero yards after contact, and.... besides all the aforementioned, there are a good coupla few LBs in this draft that would prolly be an upgrade and make for really good Chargers.​

Comment

• beachcomber
                    & ramblin' man
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

here's his actual eval coming out of college.... he's exceeded expectations,

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/drue-tranquill/32005452-4128-9059-cb73-4eadedc51904

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

the other narrative that personally think is way off base and ill founded is the chicken little story on Keenan Allen and how he's worth a hill 'o beans on first and second downs ?? !!

borderline absurd and absolutely no basis in reality. have asked before and got no response, but who are all these 31 year old receivers who have fallen off the proverbial cliff @that age.

seem to recall most big time receivers holding steady until their mid thirties or so ??

isn't Cooper Kupp 30 years old and coming off an injury ?? are the Rams jumping ship on him ??

how many GMs would pay dearly to have Keenan Allen lined up @wideout for them ?? are there any that wouldn't ?? what would Eric DeCosta say/do ??

will say it again.... MW is the one who lacks value and is the one eye would question retaining when his contract comes up, and....

really don't see any receiver in this draft as anything close to a slam dunk addition to this squad, and really view most all of this receiver jabberwocky as need based, if not want(on) behaviour.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I think this is an excellent well thought out. I totally agree with extending Ekeler and Davis for cap savings as even if you extend for two more years - the 2025 season would have nominal dead cap

The reason I always bring up cutting/releasing or trading Allen over Bosa is the Chargers control that. To trade Bosa, you need a partner. To release Allen - you just release Allen

I am a bit surprised the Chargers would not have more cap space in 2024 if you are trading Bosa - as he is on the books next year for $29m so if traded, unless a June 1, the Chargers would get all that back - so easily over $70m of cap space. Plus Williams Ekeler and Davis only cost you like $12m - so maybe its in the high 50's of cap space. Not to mention, cutting Dustin Hopkins this year - would also save next year. So I think trading Bosa and releasing Hopkins, could is in the 70m range

I will say - I like the fact you didn't push money on Allen or Mack - could be their last years with the Chargers

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Today, Bill Barnwell says essentially, the next order of business leaguewide is Herbert's extension.

The potentially huge implications make whatever else speculators here and everywhere are doing child's play.
                          Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

Working...
                          X