• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexanBeerlover
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
    There's starting to be whispers that once the Chargers get under the cap that Dalton Schultz could be signed by the Chargers! If so we probably won't be drafting one of the top TE's in this draft..
    sounds more like connecting the dots.

why after relief from cap hell, wouldn't they address position in a rookie contract, in one of the best TE classes in draft history on the cheap?

Comment

• electricgold
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

sounds more like connecting the dots.

why after relief from cap hell, wouldn't they address position in a rookie contract, in one of the best TE classes in draft history on the cheap?
      ESPN is reporting something like saying Dalton wants to follow Kellen Moore here and play in his O with Herbert passing him the ball for down the seam type of plays? I would also think if we release KA we'll use a higher pick on a WR to replace him, also we need passrushers and runstoppers probably a bit more with the premium picks, than the top TE's.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

ESPN is reporting something like saying Dalton wants to follow Kellen Moore here and play in his O with Herbert passing him the ball for down the seam type of plays? I would also think if we release KA we'll use a higher pick on a WR to replace him, also we need passrushers and runstoppers probably a bit more with the premium picks, than the top TE's.
        Dalton would be huge upgrade, but again consider these sources. Actually rank Dalton #21 on my big board (oddly enough), but this is pre-combine. If Chargers really want to stretch the field and take cover off the top, Musgrave (#30) may fly up the board to #21 and give Chargers, and new OC Moore what he wants.

Comment

• nomad1946
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2017
          • West Yellowstone, Montana
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I guess we'll have to wait another year or two on JC Jackson...we have an out on his deal after 2024...$82 mil for not much production...ouch...
          They could cut him next year as a post June cut and take a 5M cap hit for 3 years.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

What Dalton Shultz wants means nothing for what we want or need. We can't afford to sign a TE like Shultz when there is a nice TE class coming in the draft and they may want to sign a couple of our own guys.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2023
              • Send PM

The more and more I see Bijan Robinson I want him drafted by us. So maybe the signing of a tight end makes sense. Any interest in a trade for Jalen Ramsey. ? Meyer from Notre Dame I like. Probably between him and Robinson.

Comment

• rensoul
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2023
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                What Dalton Shultz wants means nothing for what we want or need. We can't afford to sign a TE like Shultz twhen there is a nice TE class coming in the draft and they may want to sign a couple of our own guys.
                If they go after him it will likely be to have someone already comfortable/reliable in the system for Moore/Herbert to have. If they really want to do this it's basically swapping Everett for Dalton. Letting go of Everett will save a little over 4 mil and create 4 mil of dead cap, if they are able to find a trade partner then it would save 5.75 mil. I don't think Everett will fetch much interest but they could possibly trade him cheap for a late round conditional pick to a cap rich team.
                Gerald Everett contract and salary cap details, including signing bonus, guaranteed salary, dead money, roster bonuses, and contract history

It's something they might consider if they don't see Everett as a long term fit because his contract is up after 2023.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

the replacements....

QB Chase Daniel, Easton Stick * Gardner Minshew, Jarrett Stidham, Cooper Rush, Joe Flacco * have no interest in any Kellen Moore kling-ons, and wish we had monies enough for a top shelf backup here
                  RB Sony Michel, Larry Rountree 3 (MG3) * Bijan, D'Ernest Johnson, DeWayne McBride, Israel Abanikanda, Kenny McIntosh, Camerun Peoples, Travis Dye, Chris Rodriguez * personal preference/opinion is that it best to get a vet in FA to spell Sony Michel, and to look for a midrounder (or later) in the draft to replace Rountree, for the if and when Bijan goes off the board before us @21
                  WR Michael Bandy * Andrei Iosavis, Justin Shorter * sorry, as just can't bring myself to list any of your need picks, as just think the early rounds are better spent on other (better) players/Chargers
                  TE Richard Rodgers (Hunter Henry) * Michael Mayer, Dalton Kincaid, Luke Musgrave * want Dalton Kincaid, not Shultz, and also not enamored w/Musgrave as any sort of consolation prize
                  OT Trey Pipkins, Storm Norton * Connor Galvin * this guy would spell Storm, albeit there is no tackle in this draft that would make me happy as a Chargers' add @RT
                  OC Will Clapp * Joe Tippmann * far as eye can tell, my guy/Eli Cox returned to school, and not overly enamored w/anyone else as a surefire hedge against Linsley's health, save for maybe Tippmann

DT Christian Covington, Jerry Tillery * Bryan Bresee, Mazi Smith, Siaki Ika, Calijah Kancey * would love to see what this D could do w/a real NT, and got no problems doubling up if that's the case
                  DE Joey Bosa * Tuli Tuipulotu * if he's on the board, would prolly cost us our second rounder @53
                  LB Drue Tranquill, Troy Reeder * Drew Sanders, Jack Campbell, Noah Sewell * need to take care of our biz here before the close of day two
                  FS Nasir Adderley * JT Woods * in house replacement, and for better or worse, unless JL Skinner (or Branch) somehow falls into our lap

WR Jaylon Guyton, DeAndre Carter * see no reason to get rid of the either one of these guys
                  WR Keenan Allen * we signed MW as our longball threat, and passed up on the opportunity to diversify our ranks @receiver and on the roster @large
                  TE Gerald Everett * dude was perfectly reasonable as a more than decent starter, albeit not sure if he gets extended after next season
                  OG Matt Feiler * dude is not old in Olineman years, and if there is anything decent to his game, we need to explore renegotiating w/him
                  DT Morgan Fox * what's the point in coming upon great FA additions if you can't retain 'em.... we have to find a way here
                  ED Khalil Mack * perhaps an oversight, and he's a Charger now, and makes no sense in calling it a day w/him, 'specially @the expense of a valuable round two selection
                  OLB Kyle Van Noy * if we're gonna go into next season minus the Big Bear, we're gonna need the vet savvy that Van Noy brings to the field
                  CB JC Jack * the albatross on the roster/elephant in the (DB) room, and.... we need a FO that can work some magic here
                  NB Bryce Callahan * we need to find the monies to sign him, as would wager that he is a better keep than Pips, and despite the call for RT as a dire need

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

If they go after him it will likely be to have someone already comfortable/reliable in the system for Moore/Herbert to have. If they really want to do this it's basically swapping Everett for Dalton. Letting go of Everett will save a little over 4 mil and create 4 mil of dead cap, if they are able to find a trade partner then it would save 5.75 mil. I don't think Everett will fetch much interest but they could possibly trade him cheap for a late round conditional pick to a cap rich team.
                    Gerald Everett contract and salary cap details, including signing bonus, guaranteed salary, dead money, roster bonuses, and contract history

It's something they might consider if they don't see Everett as a long term fit because his contract is up after 2023.

Being in his last year of his deal is why I'd think they will draft a TE for it being cheaper and have Everett for a year while the rookie adapts to the NFL or if it's a first round pick, perhaps they can trade or release Everett.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Poppers article - edited for the cap stuff: I bolded one part - where Popper mentions if Bosa and Mack stay together. Also mentions Macks roster bonus; same as Allen. I do agree just moving on from Feiler and re-doing Bosa allows the team - post March 15 - to assess what they need after free agency. Also that is when players can be traded so the Chargers would still need to be under the cap to trade a guy like Allen

Chargers mailbag: Position to target in Round 1? When are cap-saving moves coming?

By Daniel Popper
                      7h ago

The NFL Scouting Combine officially begins Tuesday in Indianapolis. Some of college football’s best prospects will be working out and interviewing with teams. Just as important, the NFL world will be intermingling in the city all week with free agency swiftly approaching. That includes Chargers head coach Brandon Staley and general manager Tom Telesco.

You ask. I answer.

It’s the mailbag.

What is more important in Round 1: receiver or edge rusher? — @evan_wessling

The Chargers are positioned to go in several different directions in the first round at pick No. 21, which is a good thing. If a team has options in how they approach the early rounds of the draft, that is usually a positive indication of roster health. And that has not always been the case for the Chargers. In Staley’s first offseason, for example, they had to address tackle and cornerback in the first two rounds. Luckily, the board fell in their favor, and they grabbed Rashawn Slater in the first round and Asante Samuel Jr. in the second round. But operating within those restrictions is not ideal because so many variables are out of a team’s control over draft weekend.

Our question-asker brings up two positions that I think are important to address early in receiver and edge rusher. I would add a third: tight end. In terms of which position is most important, that is tough to answer without clarity on how the Chargers are going to navigate their cap situation.

They are more than $20 million over the cap right now, according to Over The Cap. They will have to make moves to get cap compliant by the new league year, whether that is cutting players, trading players, restructuring contracts, extending contracts or agreeing to pay cuts with players. Which moves the Chargers end up making will impact the importance of the position needs.

If they move on from tight end Gerald Everett, tight end becomes a much more important need. If they move on from receiver Keenan Allen, receiver becomes a much more important need. If they move on from edge rusher Khalil Mack, edge rusher becomes a much more important need.

GO DEEPER

Chargers 2023 mock draft 1.0: Speed threat in first round to unlock Justin Herbert

As the roster currently stands, I think receiver, edge rusher and tight end all make equal sense in the first round. They need more speed, depth and explosive playmaking at receiver even if Allen is on the roster in 2023. They need a rotational edge rusher behind Mack and Bosa next season, if that duo stays together. And an early pick on that position would provide a potential replacement for either Bosa or Mack down the road. They also need to find an all-around tight end who can affect the game as a pass catcher and run blocker, and this is a particularly talented tight end draft class.

ADVERTISEMENT

One last thought on this: Staley taking a cornerback early in the draft will never be a surprise. I do not think the need at that position reaches the level of edge rusher, tight end or receiver. But I will point to what Staley said about defensive backs at the combine last year: “We’re always going to be looking at it as long as I’m the head coach.”

When will we start seeing restructuring? — @EconJaeger

Cap-related moves are coming. The Chargers have no choice but to clear space to get under the cap by the new league year. The timing, however, could fluctuate based on a few factors.

To be exact, the Chargers are $20,511,524 over the salary cap, according to Over The Cap. To be cap compliant by the new league year, which begins March 15 at 1 p.m. PT, the Chargers will have to clear at least $20,511,525 in space. They will need to clear more space to re-sign in-house free agents, whether they make those signings before or after the new league year begins. And they will need to clear even more space to sign external free agents and their draft picks. But in terms of what must happen before the new league year, the Chargers have to clear that $20,511,525. And then they can manage the cap as necessary after the new league year begins.

So some moves will have to happen between now and March 15. Some moves could wait until later.

The Chargers have several avenues in terms of clearing that initial space to become cap compliant. Let’s say they restructure Joey Bosa’s contract for a maximum cap savings of $15.22 million and cut left guard Matt Feiler to save $6.5 million. (Both those figures courtesy of Over The Cap.) Together, that cleared space equals close to $22 million. The Chargers would be cap compliant with just those two moves. They would have virtually no space to work with, but they would still meet the league-year deadline.

ADVERTISEMENT

The timing moving forward would depend on deadlines built into player contracts, as well as how much space the Chargers need to sign players.

Allen, for instance, is due a $3.5 million roster bonus on March 19, according to Over The Cap. The Chargers would need to cut or trade Allen before March 19 to avoid paying him that bonus. Mack is also due a roster bonus on March 19. So that day is a firm deadline on when the Chargers have to make decisions on those players.

A recent example of a similar situation was Bryan Bulaga last offseason. Cutting Bulaga to save close to $11 million was always a formality. But the Chargers waited until after they had agreed to terms with their initial wave of external free agents — cornerback J.C. Jackson and defensive linemen Sebastian Joseph-Day and Austin Johnson — to officially release Bulaga. The cut happened on March 16. Bulaga was due a roster bonus on March 20. Each situation is unique, but this shows how a team can manage its cap situation after the new league year depending on different levers in a specific contract.
                      go-deeper
                      GO DEEPER

Chargers free agency: 20 external options for the cap-crunched team

The newest Charger rumor is that Drue Tranquill is too costly for the Chargers to sign. Are any of the current LBs on the squad ready to step in as a replacement? — @MorOfUsThanThem

The Chargers do not have a linebacker on the roster who can replace everything Tranquill did for Staley’s defense. He is a complete linebacker. He covers well in man and zone. He is a disciplined run defender. He emerged as a weapon as a pass rusher last season. And that is not even mentioning what he brings to the field with his football intelligence. Staley turned to Tranquill as the defensive signal-caller in Week 4 last season, and Tranquill kept that role for the remainder of the season.

Tranquill has played his way into a multiyear contract. And the Chargers will have to decide if additional cost-cutting moves are worth making to re-sign Tranquill. Extensions for in-house players can happen at any time after the season ends.

I do not think Tranquill will be too costly for the Chargers. Depending on how his market shakes out, I would expect Tranquill to sign a deal in the $6-to-8 million average annual value range. If the Chargers offer him a three-year contract at that AAV, they could massage the cap hit to the $4 million range for 2023. For example, Feiler signed a three-year, $21 million deal in 2021. His first-year cap hit was $5 million, according to Over The Cap.

Tranquill and right tackle Trey Pipkins III are the Chargers’ two most important in-house free agents. Put them in any order you want. I think the Chargers should do what is necessary cap-wise to re-sign both.

Drue Tranquill should be one of the Chargers’ biggest in-house priorities. (Harry How / Getty Images)

Comment

• rensoul
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2023
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Being in his last year of his deal is why I'd think they will draft a TE for it being cheaper and have Everett for a year while the rookie adapts to the NFL or if it's a first round pick, perhaps they can trade or release Everett.
                        I think it's a good bet they will draft one as well but they usually take a while to develop so I wouldn't be surprised if they pick one in rounds 2-4.

I don't think Schultz is a great TE but I do think he's more consistent as a security blanket than Everett is. I could see it going either way. If they can get Schultz on a reasonable deal then it's likely Everett is gone and then draft a developmental guy and add him to the mix.

Or draft a guy and bring last season's TE's back to camp and see who stands out if they don't want to sign Schultz.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

I think it's a good bet they will draft one as well but they usually take a while to develop so I wouldn't be surprised if they pick one in rounds 2-4.

I don't think Schultz is a great TE but I do think he's more consistent as a security blanket than Everett is. I could see it going either way. If they can get Schultz on a reasonable deal then it's likely Everett is gone and then draft a developmental guy and add him to the mix.

Or draft a guy and bring last season's TE's back to camp and see who stands out if they don't want to sign Schultz.
                          I truly just don't want the only major move on the offense is bringing in Schultz but not upgrade the WR room with speed (Doss, Guyton don't count)

Comment

Working...
                          X