• dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
    Last year, the Chiefs traded their best Wr for picks
    Then, they won the SuperBowl with 10 rookies
    I keep seeing that “10 rookies” stat over and over. How many of those rookies were starting? I know it was a few, and another one or two more later after some injuries. but I also know it wasn’t 10 starters so let’s all just cut the shit with “they had 10 rookies”.

We had 11 rookies according to the current roster on Chargers.com. Apparently the Chargers adding more rookies doesnt work like it does in KC and the proponents of “more Charger rookies” may not be over the target.

What is the average number of rookies on an NFL roster each year - all 32 teams, anyway, between draft picks and UDFAs? Is it around 8? Is it 10 maybe? And what is KC’s average number of rookies on the roster each year, say the last 10 yrs? Do they have 10 rookies on their roster every year, was this actually different?

Data is a bitch.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

More than we can pay. Bijan would be much cheaper
      That's... if Bijan isn't gone before #21, and if that's who Telesco goes with.

Not every hole the Bolts have can be filled with a cheap rookie, unfortunately.

Again, I realize Jacobs wouldn't be realistic, cap-wise. But this particular draft may not see the Bolts take a RB who's any more promising than Isaish Spiller was a year ago.

Comment

• Berserker76
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I keep seeing that “10 rookies” stat over and over. How many of those rookies were starting? I know it was a few, and another one or two more later after some injuries. but I also know it wasn’t 10 starters so let’s all just cut the shit with “they had 10 rookies”.

We had 11 rookies according to the current roster on Chargers.com. Apparently the Chargers adding more rookies doesnt work like it does in KC and the proponents of “more Charger rookies” may not be over the target.

What is the average number of rookies on an NFL roster each year - all 32 teams, anyway, between draft picks and UDFAs? Is it around 8? Is it 10 maybe? And what is KC’s average number of rookies on the roster each year, say the last 10 yrs? Do they have 10 rookies on their roster every year, was this actually different?

Data is a bitch.
        The Chiefs had four rookies starting on their Super Bowl team. Hate the Chiefs or not, you have to admit that is pretty impressive. Like you said, just drafting a bunch of rookies doesn't mean squat. A team has to draft the right rookies and have the right staff to lead them.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Data is a bitch.
          The point is that the Chiefs got outstanding production from late round picks. RB Isaiah Pacheco comes to mind. 7th round RB who got the job done whenever called upon. Then you look at the (lack of) production the Bolts got from 3rd rounder Woods and 4th rounder Spiller, and all you can do is shake your head.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

The Chiefs had four rookies starting on their Super Bowl team. Hate the Chiefs or not, you have to admit that is pretty impressive. Like you said, just drafting a bunch of rookies doesn't mean squat. A team has to draft the right rookies and have the right staff to lead them.
            Is it? the Chargers had 3 rookies starting I can think or without checking the roster … Zion, Salyer, Dicker. A 4th was our starting FB Horvath though we never saw him so not sure i can count him. We had an CB have to come in, but he was not technically a starter in the last game.

KC is wonderful, they are fabulous, yeah yeah, i get it. But are their 4 rookie starters really different quantity than the average NFL teams year in and a year out? Beats me …you don’t know either it appears.

At least we’ve gotten off the stupid as “KC had 10 rookies on their team” fake stat bullshit. I’ll bet without looking that some of them weren’t even active and suited up on game days.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Again, I realize Jacobs wouldn't be realistic, cap-wise. But this particular draft may not see the Bolts take a RB who's any more promising than Isaish Spiller was a year ago.
              All true. He may not be there and what we want may not be what they are thinking.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

every time eye take a deeper dive, there is just more and more talent @RB in this draft....

Bijan, Jahmyr, Devon Achane, Charbonnet, Kenny McIntosh, DeWayne McBride, Israel Abanikanda, Travis Dye, and.... who else ??

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

The point is that the Chiefs got outstanding production from late round picks. RB Isaiah Pacheco comes to mind. 7th round RB who got the job done whenever called upon. Then you look at the (lack of) production the Bolts got from 3rd rounder Woods and 4th rounder Spiller, and all you can do is shake your head.
                  Yep...SMH is right...apparently, the Bolt Brass was wowed by Woods being the top ballhawk in the nation, but forgot about one little detail...he's a crappy tackler...oops...

Comment

• nomad1946
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2017
                    • West Yellowstone, Montana
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Jahmyr running behind Slater and Salyer?

Comment

• rensoul
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2023
                      • Send PM

Data is a bitch.
                      They did have an unusual amount of rookies playing throughout the season/playoffs.
                      On defense the guys that played a bunch were 1st round-McDuffie, 1st round-Karlaftis, 2nd round-Cook, 4th round- Williams, 7th round- Watson and by mid to late in the season 3rd round-Chenal was a regular part of their rotation. On offense they had 7th round Pacheco and 2nd round Moore who mainly played a backup role.

That's a lot of rookies that played a lot of snaps.
                      It would be like having to feature Spiller on offense and on defense rolling with Leonard/Taylor/Woods all playing a ton of snaps and starts through the year/playoffs.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...SMH is right...apparently, the Bolt Brass was wowed by Woods being the top ballhawk in the nation, but forgot about one little detail...he's a crappy tackler...oops...
                        Telesco is consistent in one thing - his draft picks in rounds 3 through 5 have been pretty mediocre at best.

He has traded up four times and none of the players, well Murray is too be determined, will have gotten a second contract

Only five players of the 40+ he has drafted have received a second contract and four of those were no-brainers

Can only hope he has a solid draft this year. I would prefer he go for a bunch of doubles unlike JT Woods - a safety who cannot tackle.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Data is a bitch.
                          They use the argument to justify their stance that Keenan Allen should be traded.
                          But the fact is... none of those 10 rookies will ever be as good as the 5-time Pro Bowler and former 3rd-round pick.

Having said that, the Chiefs did a nice job drafting. McDuffie, Cook, Chenal, and Watson often ended up in my mock drafts last off-season.
                          I thought Karlaftis and Skyy were over-rated. Let's not forget that 6th-round Salyer handled 1st-round Karlaftis pretty easily...
                          OLineCentric

Comment

Working...
                          X