• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

When I talk about a number - I don't talk about dead money as that money is spent. That 2m of dead cap hit is there no matter what. So in reality, the decision on Feiler is about the 6.5m salary

And why do you think they cannot ask Feiler to take a pay cut - it could happen. And again, who would you rather pay: Sarrel at like $960k; Storm Norton I think would be like $1.05m or something or if Feiler would agree to it - $1.5m. I know who I would take for depth.

And technically, Feiler is not 6.5m of savings - he is at most 5.75m of cap savings as there will be somebody on the roster making the minimum salary. Like I see the numbers for Hopkins and part of his savings will be offset by Dicker the kicker. The true net savings for Hopkins is like 700k. unless he is a June 1 cut.
    If Fieler is on the roster he'll cost $8.5M not $6.5M. Fieler will not agree to $1.5M when he has a contract for $8.5M. Would you do it? His agent would tell him to get
    released and hit the open market. My thinks Fieler is a cap casualty.

Norton should be a cut, regardless. Sarrel is going to depend on what we do in the draft and FA. Most likely a post June cut. I haven't looked at his contract but it's doubtful
    we would owe him much in the form of a roster bonus.

Nope, if Fieler gets cut he'll save us $6.5M in the cap. Bringing in someone to replace him does not enter the equation until he is released at which point we would have an
    $6.5M of space we didn't have before. That's the way it works.

But again the bigger problem is Pipkins. We would already have a replacement for Fieler should he get released which is my guess. But if Pipkins is not signed we would have a hole to fill or we would have to shuffle the O line around.

If we're keeping Dicker, Hopkins is gone.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Really? Look back at how our offense did without him last season and how we did when he came back. KA is a guy that keeps moving the chains. He's still in his prime too. The DB's in AFCW are all hoping we let him go.
      Maybe he is back at his current salary -if that is the case, maybe other players will have contracts restructured or players traded.
      Popper thinks he might be released and or asked to take a pay cut

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

That was the OTC tool that I linked. $10 million would be the in-season cap left... to sign any FA's to fill injuries during the year. It's about what TT uses each year.
        I'd plan to replace Pipkins, Tranquil, and Fox via the draft. It fits Keenan without a pay-cut. What makes you think KA would agree to a pay cut?

And again... the re-structures/extension leaves us with $37 million in 2024 cap space. If you cut KA after 2023, you have another $23 million in space. Same goes for Mack ($23 million extra). If you cut both, that's $83 million in cap space. Certainly we could extend Herbert and sign 10 more FA's for that.

Edit: And there are some ERFA's (David Moa, Chris Hinton, Mark Webb, Hunter Kampmoyer, and Raheem Layne) that can be re-signed for $800,000 each in 2024. After I signed Herbert for $35 million in 2024, signed my ERFA's, ant cut KA and KM.... I had 45 players on the roster (including the 14 draftees). I still need a kicker and punter (2 more roster fillings for $3 million). I'm left with $41 million and 6 more players to sign...

It can be done.
        So I used the OTC tool a bit - I like it -- I see what you did. I kind of mimiced what you did to get close to the numbers you got

Regarding KA13:
        Joel Corry and Miguel B (Pats Cap guy on twitter) thinks they will give Allen some incentives that he can recoup but pushed on to next years cap. So he still has a chance to make his 19m or whatever - but his cap number is lower. Say his salary is 5m; signing bonus of 6m (allocated for two years), plus his 2.7m - his cap hit would be 10.7 (down 11m) - but incentives could get him another 6-7m

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Maybe he is back at his current salary -if that is the case, maybe other players will have contracts restructured or players traded.
          Popper thinks he might be released and or asked to take a pay cut
          My guess is they are asking a few players to stay but in one way or another help them out on the salary cap. Some of the lower priced players will likely be asked to come back at the same salary instead of seeking an increase. Some will say yes, others will go elsewhere. You can see some of these guys are really happy to be on this team, They like the coaches, and their teammates,and they believe the team is ready to step up. Time will tell, and we'll know about several of them very soon.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

His agent looks around - sees what the market is and realizes 10m or so from the Chargers is better than the open market.
            Dang, I hope TT doesn't do Keenan dirty like that.
            Keenan came back from injury and produced like a Top 5-10 WR.
            The Top-15 WR's in the NFL are making $20-30 million per year.
            Keenan (and his agent) would take the $6.9 the Chargers have already paid him... and go make another $18 million elsewhere.
            Over his last 8 games, Keenan went on a clip that, when extrapolated out over a whole season, would have given him 127 receptions and 1400 yards.
            Those are Stephon Diggs and Ceedee Lamb type numbers...
            OLineCentric

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Dang, I hope TT doesn't do Keenan dirty like that.
              Keenan came back from injury and produced like a Top 5-10 WR.
              The Top-15 WR's in the NFL are making $20-30 million per year.
              Keenan (and his agent) would take the $6.9 the Chargers have already paid him... and go make another $18 million elsewhere.
              Over his last 8 games, Keenan went on a clip that, when extrapolated out over a whole season, would have given him 127 receptions and 1400 yards.
              Those are Stephon Diggs and Ceedee Lamb type numbers...
              More like $15 mil for two years. So he gets $22 mil (with Chargers bonus) and then $15 mil for his last year. I Doubt he comes back for much lower pay after that.
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

Last year, the Chiefs traded their best Wr for picks
                Then, they won the SuperBowl with 10 rookies

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

More like $15 mil for two years. So he gets $22 mil (with Chargers bonus) and then $15 mil for his last year. I Doubt he comes back for much lower pay after that.
                  You keep KA for next year (SB push). Then you trade or cut in 2024 (when his cap # is $25.8 million but his dead cap is only $2.7 million ($23 million savings)... just in time to re-sign Herbie.
                  OLineCentric

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                    I approve of this message....
                    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

I feel you're making a point here . . . . . but I can't quite figure it out :lol:

But really - we're the Chargers - we're not going to trade our best WR for picks. We're just going to lowball him, and when that doesn't work out we'll cut him. Who needs draft picks anyways????

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Yeah, but can you name them all... and tell me exactly how they contributed to a SB run...?
                        What I saw in the Chiefs was one of the best OL's in football. An offensive play-calling genius... the best TE in football (Round 3 pick)... and a bunch of veteran WR's that knew route concepts... and the best DT in football (2nd rounder).

Their best rookie (McDuffie) was a Nutty favorite. Bryan Cook was another Nutty favorite. Jaylen Watkins was another late-round sleeper I liked.

Skyy Moore (Pick 54) had 22 receptions last year...
                        And while George Karlaftis began to play better in the 2nd half of the season... he was not why the Chiefs won the SB.
                        OLineCentric

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

So, let's trade both KA and Bosa for picks...and VOILA !
                          (It's worth a try...)

Comment

Working...
                          X