• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If you mean some of us get "emotional" because Bosa helps lose us games, and a playoff game at that, due to bonehead penalties, then I guess yer right...trade him for a pick or two, please...It's a TEAM game, not a Headcase Diva game...
    For me, Allen and Bosa is more math (the salary cap) and the long term future of the team. The team went for it last year - -they surely did. But they are in a bad shape because of it. Kicking the can on Bosa is one thing - he is younger. Pushing 10+ m on Allen to the future - when its probably his last year - not good cap management. And if you do the same for Bosa - 20m - all of the sudden you are in the same boat 12 months from now

As for Bosa - been a good player. But he is not a game changer like - TJ Watt, Chris Jones, change gamae. If there is a market, explore it

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

they would need to throw/add in their 2024 first rounder,
      Good trade partner - they have cash to spend. future FRP plus a pick in 2023 would be a solid deal

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

For me, Allen and Bosa is more math (the salary cap) and the long term future of the team. The team went for it last year - -they surely did. But they are in a bad shape because of it. Kicking the can on Bosa is one thing - he is younger. Pushing 10+ m on Allen to the future - when its probably his last year - not good cap management. And if you do the same for Bosa - 20m - all of the sudden you are in the same boat 12 months from now

As for Bosa - been a good player. But he is not a game changer like - TJ Watt, Chris Jones, change gamae. If there is a market, explore it
        Yep...let Bosa test the market...maybe he doesn't get good offers, maybe he does...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...let Bosa test the market...maybe he doesn't get good offers, maybe he does...
          Well Bosa is not a free agent and he has guaranteed dollars - so its tricky.

It will be interesting what the Chargers do with Allen and Bosa

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            JH3 and Me
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Well Bosa is not a free agent and he has guaranteed dollars - so its tricky.

It will be interesting what the Chargers do with Allen and Bosa
            He has guaranteed dollars this year but still big dollars per contract after that. I don’t have any idea/pulse if teams have appetite to take his contract on and give us picks for that privilege? His contract below - ‘24 and ‘25 are not guaranteed and combined base salary + roster bonus but does a team trade for him that doesn’t want him for 3 yrs? Idunno.

2023: $24M (guaranteed)
            2024: $22M
            2025: $25M

Chargers still have $14M of signing bonus to hit cap regardless.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

All depends on the value you get for Bosa and what you do with the cap dollars

The idea of moving on from Allen and Bosa is only a bad one if Telesco doesn't actually do anything to replace them.

The Niners traded DeForest Buckner - got a FRP
              The Broncos traded Bradley Chubb - unsigned, FRP

The team trading for Bosa would be on the hook for 24m 22 and 25m in salaries - not all guaranteed

I think the chargers can field a deeper team if they trade Bosa and either get Allen to take a pay cut or trade/release him. The NFL is not the NBA
              The Chargers got Mack for a 2nd round pick... mainly because he was coming off an injury and Chicago was looking to rebuild and shed salaries.
              Now Bosa is coming off injury... might appear to be desperate to shed salaries. Selling Bosa low is a bad idea. Who in this year's draft do you see "replacing" him...?

Niners replaced Buckner with Kinlaw. In this circumstance, the trade off was deemed equivalent. Plus, they had just paid Armstead a big contract... with Buckner's contract on the horizon. 49ers got the #13 pick for him. As you say, some team will be on the hook for $$$.... but remember, so are we. That's just throwing money in the trash.

Aren't you interested to see what a full year with Bosa/Mack looks like? We saw it for 2 games. Combined they went off for 5.5 sacks.
              They beat the Raiders handily. They outplayed the Chiefs. Without that 99-yard pick-6, we beat the Chiefs handily (without Keenan BTW). We hold the Chiefs offense to 20 points.

Personally, I'd re-structure Joey. He's only 27 years old. He has lots off cap space on his deal... Zero guaranteed money for 2025. You can lower your cap hit by $15 million this year... and spread the re-structure out over 3 years. It enables you room to re-sign Justin Herbert and keep a proven Top-10 pass rusher.

The other choice... eating dead cap and getting a late 1st rounder... seems risky. Bird-in-the-hand stuff...

OLineCentric

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

He has guaranteed dollars this year but still big dollars per contract after that. I don’t have any idea/pulse if teams have appetite to take his contract on and give us picks for that privilege? His contract below - ‘24 and ‘25 are not guaranteed and combined base salary + roster bonus but does a team trade for him that doesn’t want him for 3 yrs? Idunno.

14m dead
                17m of cap
                24m of cap

Nothing on the books for 2024....granted, have no idea of his market. They might jsut have to push the 20m of cap space for Bosa forward and figure out what to do with Allen.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The Chargers got Mack for a 2nd round pick... mainly because he was coming off an injury and Chicago was looking to rebuild and shed salaries.
                  Now Bosa is coming off injury... might appear to be desperate to shed salaries. Selling Bosa low is a bad idea. Who in this year's draft do you see "replacing" him...?

Niners replaced Buckner with Kinlaw. In this circumstance, the trade off was deemed equivalent. Plus, they had just paid Armstead a big contract... with Buckner's contract on the horizon. 49ers got the #13 pick for him. As you say, some team will be on the hook for $$$.... but remember, so are we. That's just throwing money in the trash.

Aren't you interested to see what a full year with Bosa/Mack looks like? We saw it for 2 games. Combined they went off for 5.5 sacks.
                  They beat the Raiders handily. They outplayed the Chiefs. Without that 99-yard pick-6, we beat the Chiefs handily (without Keenan BTW). We hold the Chiefs offense to 20 points.

Personally, I'd re-structure Joey. He's only 27 years old. He has lots off cap space on his deal... Zero guaranteed money for 2025. You can lower your cap hit by $15 million this year... and spread the re-structure out over 3 years. It enables you room to re-sign Justin Herbert and keep a proven Top-10 pass rusher.

The other choice... eating dead cap and getting a late 1st rounder... seems risky. Bird-in-the-hand stuff...
                  A team should never spend on a player just to avoid not having dead cap. The decision should be made on roster moving forward. Thats fine if you push out 15m of cap - but that is also 15m less of cap you have moving forward.

Look at 2024 cap - its not in great shape either for what the Chargers need to do and the available salary to try to sign Herbert long term just was hurt, not helped

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

In 2022, James Bradberry signed a 1 year, $7,250,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including a $6,215,000 signing bonus, $7,250,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,250,000.​

He's leaving Philly and he did a damn good job for 3+ quarters against our division rivals WRs, and we're down a man until mid-season, that is JC Jackson's time-frame of being cleared. His play post-surgery will be another.

I don't read the Bosa stuff. Joey said he played the playofff game on one leg and I believe him. He's earned his guaranteed salary and I think a full season with Mack/Bosa is just what the doctor ordered. Now get them a young bull inside in the draft.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I think the re-structures go to Joey and Mike Williams. Both are younger. Joey's contract goes until 2025. You can move re-structure money to 2024 and 2025. Mike's contract is up in 2024. If you extend him to 2025, there will be 2024 and 2025 to move re-structure (or extension) money. 2025 has $145 million cap space. I would even consider extending Michael Davis out to 2025.

There are viable ways to save on the 2023 and 2024 caps... and still keep your best players for 2023. I think the front office had plans for a 2022 and 2023 Super Bowl push. As a fan, I'd be pissed if they blew up that plan just because injuries thwarted that 2022 push.

In 2024, they can save $46 million by cutting the older players, Keenan and Khalil. Their contracts are structured with that in mind.
                      OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Well, this happened and it was also shocking. I know they also got a QB in return but Goffs contract was a bugger for them and somebody traded for it. ....plus got picks which helps.

I dont know what we will do, probably nothing a far as Bosa but if we can get a 1st and 3rd, i jus might pull that trigger. Hec maybe just a first but think we can get another pick since some other defenders brought a first. Edge rushers are worth more as are CBs.
                        But if we keep him, then fine. Something needs to be done with his contract.

As for the contracts, Goff will earn $25,650,000 in 2021, with all but $650,000 fully guaranteed. The Lions are officially on the hook for $33 million in dead cap money for trading Stafford’s contract away

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

A team should never spend on a player just to avoid not having dead cap. The decision should be made on roster moving forward. Thats fine if you push out 15m of cap - but that is also 15m less of cap you have moving forward.

Look at 2024 cap - its not in great shape either for what the Chargers need to do and the available salary to try to sign Herbert long term just was hurt, not helped
                          Have you used the OverTheCap "Salary Cap Calculator" tool, yet.

I've restructured Bosa and Williams. I've cut Feiler and Hopkins (because they have cheaper replacements already on the roster). I've extended Michael Davis to 2025.
                          I have 53 players on the roster (7 of which will be replaced by draft picks and only cost $4 million once signed). I have $14 million in 2023 cap space ($10 million left after signing the 2023 draft class). I also have $37 million left of 2024's cap space. I can save another $46 million against 2024's cap by cutting Keenan and Mack. I have $166 million of space in 2025.

It can be done. It will allow us to re-sign Herbert in 2024. It will allow us to re-sign Slater and ASJ in 2025.

OLineCentric

Comment

Working...
                          X