Since Joe Lombardi is out...Who Will Be the New OC?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Imo it would be difficult if not impossible to place, "too much emphasis" on QB/passing game experience/expertise when you're best player happens to be your QB.

Brown is probably the riskiest candidate for me since Herbert would again be left under utilized by an OC that wants to coordinate away from his strength and ultimately our biggest advantage over other teams, Herbert's downfield passing ability.

Sure Brown may fix the run game but how much of that is personnel? What we need to do is upgrade the run game coordinator coach.
    Our personnel should continue to grow to be a pass first offense (emphasis on pass blocking).

Don't get me wrong, improving the run game is a priority, but not over maximization of Herbert. Herbert will ultimately decide how far we go every season.

Imho.
    It should be pointed out that Brown was the TE coach this year though, so he has experience on the passing side. And we’ve seen successful OCs who were never near the QB like Arthur Smith and McVay (both were never QB coaches and were also TE coaches before becoming OCs), and Mike McDaniel who only had experience in the running game before becoming OC. Plus it helps that Brown actually has called plays as an OC, albeit in college.

I don’t think we should go full Anthony Lynn. But we also can’t go full Lombardi either. We need the running game to be at least average in order to protect Herbert and make him more effective. Brown has experience in both the Goff scheme and Stafford one.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

It also needs to be said -- all things equal - there is a built in advantage that hiring Brown gives the team over say Robinson or even Pitcher

The 49ers have used this to their advantage. And once Ryans picks the Texans (or Donkeys) - they will get three third round comp picks over the next two years with the Ran CArthon GM hiring in TN. The Niners could trade those picks for CMC because they already have gotten comp picks for Saleh and McDaniel.

Now, do I think they should just pick Brown for that reason. No. But Brown did interview for the Texans job I believe. And if Brown can take the offense like Ben Johnson did in Carolina - he will get more HC interviews.

Same with Jerrod Johnson - hire him as the QB coach - again if the Vikings allow it and he is qualified. Because if Brown moves on, look who fills his spot (if Staley is still around).
      I think we need Brown to stay with us for two seasons at least before we can capitalize on any comp picks.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I think we need Brown to stay with us for two seasons at least before we can capitalize on any comp picks.
        Oh - is that right, two years. Still good with the hire
        (all things equal)

but I still want them to talk to Slowik Pitcher and Brian Johnson

I do want more opinions than the Rams
        (granted Demeco might want Slowik in Houston_

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

I guess none of these interviews have blown the Chargers away. Otherwise I don’t know what they’re waiting for.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I thought that’s what Hill did. Sit in the booth and relay things down to Staley.
            Get someone else then, our halftime adjustments, well, we didn’t do any.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
              I guess none of these interviews have blown the Chargers away. Otherwise I don’t know what they’re waiting for.
              If they are casting as wide a net as possible then they should at least do another week of interviews with different candidates before deciding IMO. I think last year’s ST coach search took three weeks. This has only been 10 days?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                Being thorough?
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Being thorough?
                  Honestly want them to take their time with this. I don’t see the rush.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Lots of teams looking for coaches

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Now that McVay officially went away from Brown AND Robinson, I'm lower on both, even though as Xenos has pointed out, that hiring externally is a standard practice for McVay.
                      but still, I trust McVay's judgment, and I doubt either of them were his, "close 2nd choice". He just seemed so disinterested in both and more interested in selling them elsewhere.
                      I'm wondering if any Ram fans or media people see it the same or different.

of the guys we have interviewed, I'm still leaning towards Joe Brady (haven't interviewed yet) because I think he will maximize Herbert's talents as well as our weapons but also because I want Herbert to have a smooth transition and Bradys familiarity with Payton/Lombo system gives him a huge advantage. And lastly but maybe most importantly, he will already be in place in the event that the Spanos decide to go all-in with payton next offseason.

2024: Far From Over

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Same. There is no rush, if some candidate wants to jump to any of the other remain options, then I'm comfortable ruling them out for that decision alone, it tells me they don't understand the advantage a Herbert offers.
                        I also want to make sure we get a chance to even try to interview candidates from the remaining 4 teams.
                        Lastly, we have ribs to heal, no sense in getting Herbert excited this early.
                        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

If they are so good. Why is McVay doing away with them? In as far as I can tell, it's not like teams are lining up to sign
                          these guys up as OCs. They were first let go by McVay. Then came the interviews.

Comment

Working...
                          X