Since Joe Lombardi is out...Who Will Be the New OC?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    JH3 and Me
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

But the team would still need to add the right pieces to the roster. Staley, Telesco, and the staff on the offensive side of the ball should stop neglecting speed burners at WR.

Frank Reich is one candidate for OC being brought up. Some people forget about the bad tendencies he had when he was with the Chargers.
    True, but setting aside the horrible OL he had here, that was his first OC gig. Growing pains seems to be not confined to just our intrepid HC. He made great strides in Philly after leaving our fold, stellar enough to get a HC gig where he angain did well with even a decent QB. He is definitely a mature professional choice, so if having an “adult in the room” is a plus, he’s a worthy selection. He will be a huge upgrade of Lombo. I’m down with a Shannonite if the go that way too, though I don’t we have the personnel ala SF to pull it off. We don’t have a Debo and we don’t have a McCaffrey, for starters. trusting you smart cats to sniff out the most fragrant rosebud in the dumpster.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
      https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...argers-oc-hunt

I didn't realize Joe Brady was/has been the QB coach for Josh Allen/the Bills. I thought he was fired from Carolina just this season. If anyone has a better timeline, please share.
      anyway, he has at least SOME experience as an OC in Carolina working with absolute crap at QB (Sam Darnold).
      he obviously had that great season working closely with Burrow at LSU, so this far he's familiar with 2 of our main AFC rival QBs (Burrow and Allen). working with Herbert should be an easy transition.
      btw, he has a background in coaching linebackers (a defensive background now coaching offense should really knock Staley's socks off).
      Finally, he was an offensive assistant with, you guessed it, New Orleans Saints for 2 years before going to LSU, so he's at least familiar with the system we have in place.

I think we found our guy.
      An OC is going to bring in his own system. He didn't run NO system at LSU or Carolina.

No idea who they will interview but if this all backfires next season, they wasted an opportunity. I'm not really feeling the vibes on this. I'm thinking they should of fired Staley since we are already going to have a new system on offense.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

They should offer Sean Payton the OC job as HC in waiting

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

would be much more excited 'bout Brady than Reich.... Frank does seem to have some Norv 2.0 to him ??

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            I have seen Frank Reich's name thrown around a lot. He's still under contract until 2026 so it would be just like Spanos to hire him and pay him cheap and have the Colts eat the rest.
            I don't know if Frank Reich would want a 2nd tour with the Spanos & Telesco.

He got bounced here after only 2 years as OC ...... that 2nd year the Chargers had PR, no Keenan and what on offense?
            Maybe Danny Woodhead coming off of a knee injury the season before.
            Gates suddenly got old that year.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
              I look at SF with such envy.

Down to their 3rd string QB and they somehow get better.

We lose one guy anywhere and the entire team folds it seems.

Like, wow. Some teams are just made to win.
              Took them two losing seasons to turn it around with Shanahan and Lynch.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

We miss Frank Smith.

Joshua Kelley did not give us enough dynamism in complementing Ekeler.

I expect the new OC to be a Wide Zone guy.

MW and at least some deep speed must be balanced with a dangerous running attack featuring Ekeler plus more.
                Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

True, but setting aside the horrible OL he had here, that was his first OC gig. Growing pains seems to be not confined to just our intrepid HC. He made great strides in Philly after leaving our fold, stellar enough to get a HC gig where he angain did well with even a decent QB. He is definitely a mature professional choice, so if having an “adult in the room” is a plus, he’s a worthy selection. He will be a huge upgrade of Lombo. I’m down with a Shannonite if the go that way too, though I don’t we have the personnel ala SF to pull it off. We don’t have a Debo and we don’t have a McCaffrey, for starters. trusting you smart cats to sniff out the most fragrant rosebud in the dumpster.
                  Reich would be solid I think
                  Brian Johnson still is intriguing to me

I just want somebody who looks at the players and develops the system. And doesn't bring their playbook and make the players fit it. Granted that means working with Telesco to also find the right players in teh draft that fit the system for the offense

You bring up Kyle Shanahan but his system is not the same as Matt laFleur in GB - so even though the same tree - they evolve for the talent and not like what Hackett did in Denver - take his system and have the players adapt. Hence, I don't want that guy

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

An OC is going to bring in his own system. He didn't run NO system at LSU or Carolina.

No idea who they will interview but if this all backfires next season, they wasted an opportunity. I'm not really feeling the vibes on this. I'm thinking they should of fired Staley since we are already going to have a new system on offense.
                    The advantage I see with Brady's familiarity with the N.O. offense is in understanding our offense currently. Understanding how far along we are should give him a better sense of how to best implement his offense in a way that's realistic and efficient. Maybe even keeping some elements that Justin is already proficient at.
                    Any new OC will try to do this, but I figure someone with knowledge of the current system would have a better chance.

Also, his familiarity with the college game should help him understand and manage the barriers between college and pros. I bet he can help provide input into this upcoming draft.
                    And he has already worked with Burrow and Allen, so he's not coming into the job, "star struck" by Herbert, which will be important to evaluate Herbert's progress and maintain an objective, on-going assessment. He has also worked with Sam Darnold, so he's had vast experience on the spectrum of QB talent.

So many relevant items on his resume, it's a shame if Staley were to not interview him simply because he doesn't come from a particular coaching tree.

All I want is for the Chargers to cast a wide net and hope henat least has an interview. If nothing materializes, I can accept that. But if he's able to keep up with Staley on Xs and Os, he should be seriously considered.
                    Darius "4.36" Davis
                    top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP2024: (Triple Play)

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

The advantage I see with Brady's familiarity with the N.O. offense is in understanding our offense currently. Understanding how far along we are should give him a better sense of how to best implement his offense in a way that's realistic and efficient. Maybe even keeping some elements that Justin is already proficient at.
                      Any new OC will try to do this, but I figure someone with knowledge of the current system would have a better chance.

Also, his familiarity with the college game should help him understand and manage the barriers between college and pros. I bet he can help provide input into this upcoming draft.
                      And he has already worked with Burrow and Allen, so he's not coming into the job, "star struck" by Herbert, which will be important to evaluate Herbert's progress and maintain an objective, on-going assessment. He has also worked with Sam Darnold, so he's had vast experience on the spectrum of QB talent.

So many relevant items on his resume, it's a shame if Staley were to not interview him simply because he doesn't come from a particular coaching tree.

All I want is for the Chargers to cast a wide net and hope henat least has an interview. If nothing materializes, I can accept that. But if he's able to keep up with Staley on Xs and Os, he should be seriously considered.
                      I agree with this. Be open to somebody not under a tree. Look at the people they coached with and for. Do they have a diversity of thought. Reich worked with Whisenhunt, McCoy, Pederson - so a wide range of coaches.

Brady has worked for I think Payton in NO and now the Bills - two separate styles - I like that

Comment

• QSmokey
                        Guardedly Optimistic
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kuna, Idaho
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Another article about the folly that is the Chargers:

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

System?

That was the exact problem with Lombardi. He applied a system to Herbert that didn’t exploit his talent.

We need a OC coach that will build a system that suits the roster not try to fit a square peg in a round hole.

The best coach would be one that is innovative and can think out of the box…..not one that is simply trained in a system and that’s all they can implement.

Lombardi was the incarnation of a system guy who couldn’t adjust in the second half.

Comment

Working...
                          X