• Show
Clear All
  • Buckethead
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post
    Also...Sean Payton? just kidding.
    Rumor is he's waiting to see if the Chargers or Cowboys position opens up. Rumors make for good press. That would be cool though.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

Interesting take. The decision to play Mike does seem at odds with his overall philosophy of taking care of his players. I would actually prefer this to be the case (rather than it being his decision), but why would Ownership (and who else could dictate this kind of thing to an NFL head coach) do such a thing? And why would Staley allow it anyway?
      I think maybe Dean could have met with him & said something like, "Well there's been times in the past when we rested starters the final week and it didn't go well - guys got stagnant"

But the only time I recall that happening in semi-recent history is when they had bye weeks. In '09 they played washington the final week and Norv took the starters out after about 1 series. I don't recall what they did the final week in '06.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Trumpet Man View Post

That was me.

Mike needs "another" MRI and "further" testing to find a broken back ?

What the fuck happened the first time around and not catching it ?

Yeah not a good look at all ......

Next man up

Playoffs

BTFU
        MRI's are very, very subjective. You can show the same MRI to 10 different technicians and get 10 different answers. See: https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...29943016310932

This was likely a result of his agent (and family) not wanting Mike to play and talking Mike into getting a 2nd opinion. A lot of this type of shit goes on in the NFL there's a natural conflict between agents and team. He could get a 3rd MRI that might not show anything.

Comment

• Lightnin'
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

...the decision to play Williams in a meaningless game and then his suffering an
          injury that costs him 2-3 playoff weeks, elevates "Chargering" to an entirely new
          level.

Geez...
          San Diego Chargers

1961-2017

Comment

• Fleet 1
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Kauai
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

Unfortunate!
            All good tho. I want to stay realistically positive because it is what it is.
            What's better this time around vs the jags?
            *Herbert 100 pct healthy
            *2 LB's are playing better vs the run
            *Gillman is better than who we used last time. A guy named NAS
            *Josh Palmer + Parham = One Mike Dub!?! (Gonna email em now to USE 6'8" PARHAM MORE). Catch % is very high w/ him. Plus, can draw flags.
            *Corey LInsely in this time.
            *Parham in this time.
            *"Revenge"
            *This team is resiliant.
            *If Staley loses, chance for a better coach next season!!!
            *If Bolts win, Staley and staff progress
            *Still a win win
            *Playing starters last week increases chances of WINNING. (Stats show when teams rest starters b4 Wildcard, the winning percentage is only .333). Let's have courage. I choose to.The choice is yours.

Please no religion. A really well known rule here. I dont dislike seeing it etc...because i follow...but its a rule and its in place for everyone here. Thank you. I will edit.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

That was me.

Mike needs "another" MRI and "further" testing to find a broken back ?

What the fuck happened the first time around and not catching it ?

Yeah not a good look at all ......

Next man up

Playoffs

BTFU
              I think they just missed it because it was tiny crack in a transverse process in the x-ray at the stadium, just enough to cause back spasms by nerve inflammation. MRI's are good for soft tissue, they didn't find anything, so they did another x-ray with a better machine and found the fracture. Unfortunate, I wish Mike was more durable.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

I think they just missed it because it was tiny crack in a transverse process in the x-ray at the stadium, just enough to cause back spasms by nerve inflammation. MRI's are good for soft tissue, they didn't find anything, so they did another x-ray with a better machine and found the fracture. Unfortunate, I wish Mike was more durable.

MW's past durability issues make the decision to play him (at all) in a meaningless game all the more frustrating.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                  Dea Spanos my HERO
                  • Dec 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

The stadiums are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment I have read.

I just have to wonder if that NFL purchased stadium equipment was made in C-h-i-n-a.

We have the internet to get different doctors opinions on MRI's and artificial intelligence to sort all that noise out - yet - a tiny hairline back fracture gets by everybody until ..................man oh man....not a good look at all.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

The stadiums are equipped with state-of-the-art equipment I have read.

I just have to wonder if that NFL purchased stadium equipment was made in C-h-i-n-a.

We have the internet to get different doctors opinions on MRI's and artificial intelligence to sort all that noise out - yet - a tiny hairline back fracture gets by everybody until ..................man oh man....not a good look at all.
                    Who knows, maybe the fracture became more evident when they got home. Anyway, time for someone else to step up into the huge gap that is there without MW, and hope the game plan was not to rely on him.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                      This is why I really don't think it was his call. Staley is so tuned into sports science it really makes no sense. This is the field I've been in for nearly 30 years so I see the things he does from a little different perspective. He never practices on wednesdays, never plays his guys in pre-season, and is very cognizant of reps and snap counts. Then as you mentioned note how pissed off he was after that Denver game. He has to know the physical benefits of a week off otherwise he wouldn't implement all the other recovery oriented things he normally does throughout a season. The decision to play starters so long last week is totally incongruent with his decisions the last 2 years. The only logical explanation to me is it wasn't his call.
                      Before this news he had an interesting quote about MW that bolsters your point. He said, "rest is better than reps" at this point of the season.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Please get back on topic...

Comment

• Fleet 1
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kauai
                          • Send PM

Its a convenient discovery. Thats for sure. Get well Mike. Need you next year.

Also we ha\ve an E Car discussion in the non football forum. Moved those posts there. Its a good discussion go check it out.

Comment

Working...
                          X