• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

This one just won't go away, I guess. Indy, playing a QB who is about 2 years past retirement, and without their star running back, doesn't exactly qualify as juggernaut team. It was a nice victory, a playoff-clinching victory, but let's not get carried away with accolades. This wasn't the Chiefs, Bills, or Bengals. We took care of business against a shitty team. I expect that and it was nice to see, for a change. Winning has now become something that is "so hard to do". I'm not buying it.
    First of all, no one ever suggested that Indy is a juggernaut. They are a team without a good QB... all year long (even during the KC game). They are a team with a pretty good defense... pretty sure the Chiefs played against the same defensive personnel we played against (17 vs 20 points).

Apparently, missing one offensive player matters... and missing multiple offensive players isn't a consideration. You need to make up your mind on this one.

My explanation of the Chiefs loss to the Colts is... the Chiefs were going through an offensive slog at the beginning of the year. After all, they had just come off an underwhelming offensive showing against us the week before. If it weren't for the 14-point swing (pick-6 by their rookie CB) we had outplayed them.

Indy is not the Chiefs, Bengals or Bills... everyone knows that despite your insinuation. But every team is vulnerable (both KC and Cinci have defenses that can be exploited and Bills OL will have a hard time handling Mack, Bosa, and Fox).

My narrative has always been: Multiple/Impactful player injuries have limited what we can do offensively/defensively... the world is not ending... we will get most of those players back and make the playoffs. If/when healthy, we can compete with anyone.

This is exactly what has happened... this is not a controversial statement. Next, please.

OLineCentric

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
      Spell check like of there when I wanted if...
      Jon...you know you can just edit your original post and correct the misspelling, right?

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

And for the record, I think the Raven are a tough match-up for us, too. There won't be any easy match-ups in the playoffs. We'll have to protect Herbie and play good defense.
        OLineCentric

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

First of all, no one ever suggested that Indy is a juggernaut. They are a team without a good QB... all year long (even during the KC game). They are a team with a pretty good defense... pretty sure the Chiefs played against the same defensive personnel we played against (17 vs 20 points).

Apparently, missing one offensive player matters... and missing multiple offensive players isn't a consideration. You need to make up your mind on this one.

My explanation of the Chiefs loss to the Colts is... the Chiefs were going through an offensive slog at the beginning of the year. After all, they had just come off an underwhelming offensive showing against us the week before. If it weren't for the 14-point swing (pick-6 by their rookie CB) we had outplayed them.

Indy is not the Chiefs, Bengals or Bills... everyone knows that despite your insinuation. But every team is vulnerable (both KC and Cinci have defenses that can be exploited and Bills OL will have a hard time handling Mack, Bosa, and Fox).

My narrative has always been: Multiple/Impactful player injuries have limited what we can do offensively/defensively... the world is not ending... we will get most of those players back and make the playoffs. If/when healthy, we can compete with anyone.

This is exactly what has happened... this is not a controversial statement. Next, please.
          No, but they were singing the praises of our defense and how we "shut them down". They forgot to mention that they weren't a juggernaut. In fact, they're a pretty shitty team that was outscored by like 80 points in the second half of their previous two losses. Most people, who weren't hopeless homers, would recognize that and scale back their praise accordingly.

I insinuate nothing. IF we were to make a strong showing against the likes of the Bills, Chiefs, or Bengals, I'll be singing the praises of the team right there with the Pollyannas, who will finally have something to crow about.

And the world knows all about injury-theory analysis. You've been posting about it since the team's first hangnail. It's tiresome. Next, indeed.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Wu, at some point on that list, you have to score, yes?
            I will take consistent one score victories over occasional impressive blowouts combined with flameouts in important games.

As I asked in the beginning of this season, what does success look like to TPB ?

Are you all actually saying that even following a deep playoff run, Lombardi must be fired ?

That is blind venting, not good football judgement.
            Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I will take consistent one score victories over occasional impressive blowouts combined with flameouts in important games.
              Does it have to be an either/or?

And success, to this poster, is a SB victory. I've been saying that since TC.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

It does not have to be either/or. Agreed.

But I would respectfully add that celebrating ugly wins is not necessarily associated with pollyannaism.

To cut to the chase, Lombardi's offense actually has an aspect or two that marries up with the idea of winning.

Additionally, being able to role out a front four look of
                Rumph-Fox-Bosa-Mack
                can help us surprise these juggernaut offenses in the playoffs.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Colts were with their best defensive player, Darius (Shaq) Leanard, against the Chief's: he's currently out for the season.
                  Sometimes, the other team will be just more focused and energetic than you on a particular Sunday.

The eye test works for me, the D is playing faster. Sure, the Colts were without a few players on offense.
                  On the offensive side of the ball, the routine yards seem hard to come by and they always need some extraordinary play
                  to set themselves up.

They seem to be scoring at least half their tds on greatly shortened fields.

Comment

• PR#1
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

Is Bosa practicing this week ?

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

I think Van Noy is starting to play Edge pretty darn well now. In fact, I think he's better than Rumph. When Joey is back, I'd like to see Van Noy being the guy that gives Joey a break now and then and on third and long I'd be interested to see what we could do with Bosa, Van Noy, Fox, and Mack.

This defense is starting to cook!
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Success to me is not a SB victory: you need too much good fortune for that.

Success to me, for this team, is a hard out in the playoffs against a SB worthy team.
                        A game you could have won, and not because the other team was trying to piss the game away.

Losing to Jacksonville does not fit that criteria.

Down by 11 to the Chief's with two minutes left does not fit the criteria.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

LOL.
                          Can you play drums with a hangnail ?
                          Asking for keyboards/rhythm guitarist.

Comment

Working...
                          X