• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
    Averages are funny shit. Carefully selected subsets of data are funny shit too.

3 games before ours the Bengals scored 20
    week before that the Packers scored 17
    Week before that the Broncos scored 10
    Week before that the chiefs scored 20

Cherry pick away, my good man …
    Titans D was much healthier 3 games before ours.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Titans D was much healthier 3 games before ours.
      thats true, but variation in the NFL from game to game is huge. The post was about “average last 3 games” yet one of those 3 games was the Bengals. Bengals have a very good offense and they only scored 20. We scored 17. I don’t find the difference between 17 and 20 to be that significant.

We beat Miami with a lot of second stringers and we lost games with starters. Other teams are the same, we’re not as unicorny as folks around here think. Games unfold and evolve as living organisms, its not a simple static math equation or every game result would be known before kickoff.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

thats true, but variation in the NFL from game to game is huge. The post was about “average last 3 games” yet one of those 3 games was the Bengals. Bengals have a very good offense and they only scored 20. We scored 17. I don’t find the difference between 17 and 20 to be that significant.

We beat Miami with a lot of second stringers and we lost games with starters. Other teams are the same, we’re not as unicorny as folks around here think. Games unfold and evolve as living organisms, its not a simple static math equation or every game result would be known before kickoff.
        like how refs can determine a game? heck if officiating was truly neutral do you think some of these teams and players would win as much? You cant breathe on Brady unless you want a 15yd penalty. I get the feeling Herbert is going to start getting more and more calls as he starts making more eye-popping throws that the whole world sees...that the refs cant ignore. maybe then we can have some games swung our way.

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

like how refs can determine a game? heck if officiating was truly neutral do you think some of these teams and players would win as much? You cant breathe on Brady unless you want a 15yd penalty. I get the feeling Herbert is going to start getting more and more calls as he starts making more eye-popping throws that the whole world sees...that the refs cant ignore. maybe then we can have some games swung our way.
          I have been told here by many here that the refs are infallible, show zero favoritism, and for me to think otherwise is delusional, sad and pathetic.

Yet here we are with terrible refs again this year.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I have been told here by many here that the refs are infallible, show zero favoritism, and for me to think otherwise is delusional, sad and pathetic.

Yet here we are with terrible refs again this year.
            After the NY Giants Washington Commanders game there was an article on a mainstream site written about how an NFL ref can influence a games outcome similar to the way the NBA ref tim Donaghy did. Not so far fetched and especially so much money involved. There are non reviewable judgment calls made many times in an nfl game.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Refs can throw a flag every down if they want. Guaranteed something technical is bring done wrong.
              Call or don't call the same penalties the same way on both teams. or it looks fishy.
              I prefer "let them play". Flag the blatant fouls only but get them when it happens.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Birmingham AL
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

After the NY Giants Washington Commanders game there was an article on a mainstream site written about how an NFL ref can influence a games outcome similar to the way the NBA ref tim Donaghy did. Not so far fetched and especially so much money involved. There are non reviewable judgment calls made many times in an nfl game.
                I agree 100% it seems there are bad calls and then there are Tim Donaghy calls that occur every week in the NFL. The Chefs game with the push off that led to a first down and Myhommy leading the game winning drive. That was a Tim Donaghy type non call.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I agree 100% it seems there are bad calls and then there are Tim Donaghy calls that occur every week in the NFL. The Chefs game with the push off that led to a first down and Myhommy leading the game winning drive. That was a Tim Donaghy type non call.
                  Since they are so inconsistent with calls - I do think illegal contact and defensive holding should NOT be automatic first downs. If you want to make them ten yarders, thats fine - just replay the down. But those two calls are so inconsistent and is the player that is held or touched always the intended target. Plus its just a bail out call for certain teams and QBs I think

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Since they are so inconsistent with calls - I do think illegal contact and defensive holding should NOT be automatic first downs. If you want to make them ten yarders, thats fine - just replay the down. But those two calls are so inconsistent and is the player that is held or touched always the intended target. Plus its just a bail out call for certain teams and QBs I think
                    I think you are on to something there. They used it as a bailout for the Chefs in the Chargers game on that last drive. That is what pisses me off, not the call just that you have not called it all game but then decide to call it at the last minute to favor one team.

Comment

• jubei
                      Vagabond Ninja
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I especially hate calls for illegal contact from plays that are clear across the field and have absolutely no bearing on the play. sometimes refs need to flag themselves for throwing the flag too much. It slows down the flow of the game and is detrimental to a team that may be on a drive.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

I especially hate calls for illegal contact from plays that are clear across the field and have absolutely no bearing on the play. sometimes refs need to flag themselves for throwing the flag too much. It slows down the flow of the game and is detrimental to a team that may be on a drive.
                        Exactly. The QB never looks left, the WR is touched 6 yards down the field. So no bearing on the play. And even if the receiver is the intended target, you are assuming the QB makes a good throw and the WR catches the ball

And how many times on 3rd and long do you get a sack or pressure - thinking you have a stop only to have an arbitrary call

I say make both penalties 10 yards but replay the down as awarding a first down for a very arbitrary call to me - is too much.

Comment

• C’monchargers
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

It is going to be interesting to see how the chargers play Nick Foles this week. If I had remember correctly even in the Super Bowl days and the year after, Nick Foles was horrid against the zone; but his production against the press is pretty respectable. I believe he was 31 out of 32 staring qb against the zone that year. Since The Chargers had been running more man on man, it would be a match to watch personally.

That said many years have passed and I haven’t kept track of his progress these years but maybe he is a stud against the zone now or… maybe he is still seeing ghost when the boogeyman lurks.

All said, he would still be better than Matt Ryan, imo MR was never strong enough to play far past his prime. Even his signature frozen rope throw down the seam is a thing of the past. I wouldn’t be too comfy watching them getting into a shoot out. The colts had been getting creative with their play calling and trying to finesse points here and there. I believe they will play hard, after all this still might be an audition for Saturday to become the coach long term.
                          Last edited by C’monchargers; 12-22-2022, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X