JC Jackson Discussion - Was He a Locker Room Distraction?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Hey - I got a lot of pushback this offseason for dare suggesting the team move on from Keenan and trade Bosa. I will admit, Keenan has been balling so I have to eat a little crow. But my thought is the same -- I didn't think the team after the Jags game was in a position to really make a push hard at KC - so why push a bunch of cap to finish in teh wildcard round. And for the record, the only reason I was keeping Williams over Allen was Williams had guaranteed money where as Keenan didn't

The worst thing Telesco and Staley can do - is trade assets now - before the deadline. If the team is 5-3 or 6-2, fine - but trading assets now before the Cowboys and Cheifs would be really stupid
    I never said anything about trading assets, I think the best thing they can do is minimize damage to the cap any further by simply doing nothing, ride out the rest of your lame duck season and push what little they can into next years budget to minimize the damage on the other end of this....the top $ guys (don't know who) like Bosa, Allen, Williams, Mack, and others are most likely going to be moving on via trades or cuts and others won't be resigned...the 2024 charger HC job is going to look a lot less sexy than it did in 2021...there will be a ton of dead salary cap in 2024 and 2025...

for the record, I wasn't with you on getting rid of KA, but I thought it was the perfect time to move on from Bosa, still young enough to warrant some draft capital in return and the move would have cleared cap right on time for this coming year...after Jacksonville I went from being one of the biggest Bosa apologists on this forum to basically wanting him gone from this roster, can't have players that put their own bullshit ahead of the team's goals in ANY game let alone in the postseason...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

cmplxgal is one of the most level headed posters on the board. The worm has fully turned

More likely the smoke curtain has thinned . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Staley doesn't know the first thing about leadership, he's an ambitious guy and intelligent guy that managed to talk his way into position after position that would enable him to speed up the chain of command without paying the proper dues and having the necessary experience. I knew last year after the first game of the year a win against the Raiders, I saw how he addressed the team and I knew it right then and there that he had no idea what the hell he was doing...Staley would have benefitted from a longer development as an NFL assistant, but even then some guys are just not cut out to be the guy...
        I too caught quite a bit of heat for criticizing Staley's leadership (or lack thereof) . . . . . . . . . . he's a used car salesman who interviews well . . . . . .

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

I never said anything about trading assets, I think the best thing they can do is minimize damage to the cap any further by simply doing nothing, ride out the rest of your lame duck season and push what little they can into next years budget to minimize the damage on the other end of this....the top $ guys (don't know who) like Bosa, Allen, Williams, Mack, and others are most likely going to be moving on via trades or cuts and others won't be resigned...the 2024 charger HC job is going to look a lot less sexy than it did in 2021...there will be a ton of dead salary cap in 2024 and 2025...

for the record, I wasn't with you on getting rid of KA, but I thought it was the perfect time to move on from Bosa, still young enough to warrant some draft capital in return and the move would have cleared cap right on time for this coming year...after Jacksonville I went from being one of the biggest Bosa apologists on this forum to basically wanting him gone from this roster, can't have players that put their own bullshit ahead of the team's goals in ANY game let alone in the postseason...
          I can admit I was wrong about Allen - he is balling. But at the same time, as Popper pointed out, there were reasons why they could move on from Allen. Williams and Bosa had guarantees; Mack was just traded for so they would have been giving up on him after one year. Allen was the "cleanest" cut. But hye, I will eat some crow - he is balling out

But Bosa - of the four, they should have truly looked to move him even if they paid part of his salary . Hell I would still move Bosa - get something now for him

Comment

• Air Coryell
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2021
            • Davis, CA
            • Teacher, Coach, CFO
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Is it a great move if Belichick gets him back into his pre-injury form? Or is that an indictment of Staley?
            You cannot afford to pay EVERYONE. I would only invest long term big dollar contracts to QB, OL and DL. I did not like spending $20M+ on CB; that's before this went south. This is an indictment on both TT and Staley.

Comment

• ChargingBolts
              Superbowl?
              • Sep 2018
              • Los Angeles/Chicago
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              And now he is on his way to New England, making more than $45 million from the Chargers for seven starts.
              Wow, $45M for 7 starts 👀

Comment

• rensoul
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2023
                • Send PM

One thing with these young first time HC's.

It would be a good idea to have someone on the staff as an assistant HC, or co-ordinator position who is much more seasoned with prior HC experience.

Wade Phillips played that role for McVay and I think it would help decrease some of the bonehead mistakes of a first time HC.

If Moore gets hired I hope he does this because I would assume he would still probably call plays and manage the offense as a HC.

Comment

• rensoul
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2023
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I like the idea, but I've asked this before: Why would a lame duck HC and GM start a fire sale - unless ordered to by one of the Spanos' - when their jobs are on the line? Dumping Mack, Bosa, and Ekeler mid-season would be an admission that they're tanking the rest of the year, which would all but ensure that Staley and Telesco would be gone. I mean, I'm all for it, but I just can't see that happening...even if we lose all of our next three games.
                  Yea, I don't see it happening. They leveraged the cap and sold out 2024 already. The order to do it would probably have to come from ownership after an in season firing of the current HC for it to occur.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                    Not only did they fail in signing JCJ, they failed in getting rid of him. Got nothing but moving from a 7th rounder to a 6th from a team desperate for CBs
                    The Chargers were just as desperate to unload a problem player with a huge contract.

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

]

how can you guys talk about this team like it's actually headed anywhere and doing anything? this whole season is a lame duck, there is no reason that the owners are interested in buying anything except to save face for continuing this farce...

I took a lot of shit for being adamant that we needed to move on from staley after the fiasco in Jacksonville...got accused of being 'emotional' after the loss, but seriously, I honestly think this team might've been better off under Lynn these last couple of years...that's saying something right there...
                      You know what, I've been wondering the same thing. Lynn had the player's respect but he also was making some coaching mistakes. I always think there is somewhat of an advantage to keep a coach
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

Yea, I don't see it happening. They leveraged the cap and sold out 2024 already. The order to do it would probably have to come from ownership after an in season firing of the current HC for it to occur.
                        Rensoul is right - it would have to come from ownership and my guess, the Spanii would never have the balls to do it. Even if they are 2-6 or 3-5.

Comment

• Duck of Death
                          Social Piranha
                          • May 2022
                          • Flyover, USA
                          • Send PM

I might be a pariah for saying this, but I’m pretty sure 95 + % of Bolt fans were absolutely elated when JC was acquired. And most, though not all, NFL analysts applauded the move. Whether he was just a “system guy” we might never know due to the surgery & injury circumstances. But his previous performance with NE sure looked legit to me. I don’t think you can fake 25 INTs, regardless of system. Unfortunately he suffered an injury that literally no player to date has ever fully recovered from - not a single one to my knowledge. Hard to blame anyone for that.

But if it’s any consolation, remember that SF struck out hard on Jimmy G AND Trey Lance (not to mention Alex Smith a few years before before Kaep became a nuisance). Philly struck out on Wentz. My point is teams can recover from big “gambling misses” like this. I do wish they might’ve done a little more homework on character. But really that’s an area that we can hardly criticize management for, as they’ve done a better job there than most teams.

Comment

Working...
                          X