Titans @ Chargers Pre Game Thread | (Wk 15)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

40 times are pretty relative. Mike has some long speed and wins one on one match ups.
    You want to throw downfield, block for another 1/2 second.
    GOAT WR Jerry Rice totally sucked on the track in shorts.
    A real burner does move coverage back if he can get loose, whether you throw to him or not and that's a plus.
    A lot of Rice's TD's or long gainers were short passes in the flats that Rice turned into great YAC gainers...his short area quickness, vision, acceleration and twitch were exceptional...

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Mike Williams is like Jerry Rice in that his game speed is faster than his 40 time.

Rice's official 40 time coming out of college is in dispute. Some say it was 4.6, others say it was 4.7. But there is no dispute that with the ball in his hands Rice was maybe the fastest man on the field.

Mike Will is similar. Recall the Pitt game last season when the Chargers fell behind late. Mike Will took a pass from Herbert on the sideline and sprinted 50+ yds to the end zone. A Pitt DB, I forget which one, thought he had the angle to cut him off, but Mike Will was too fast for him. That is just one example where I've seen Mike Will get a ball then turn upfield full speed and he is out-running DBs. I'm not saying Mike is a 4.3 guy in those situations, but maybe a 4.4 guy with the ball in his hands.

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        Mike Williams is like Jerry Rice in that his game speed is faster than his 40 time.

Rice's official 40 time coming out of college is in dispute. Some say it was 4.6, others say it was 4.7. But there is no dispute that with the ball in his hands Rice was maybe the fastest man on the field.

Mike Will is similar. Recall the Pitt game last season when the Chargers fell behind late. Mike Will took a pass from Herbert on the sideline and sprinted 50+ yds to the end zone. A Pitt DB, I forget which one, thought he had the angle to cut him off, but Mike Will was too fast for him. That is just one example where I've seen Mike Will get a ball then turn upfield full speed and he is out-running DBs. I'm not saying Mike is a 4.3 guy in those situations, but maybe a 4.4 guy with the ball in his hands.
        Mike Will is nothing like Rice. MW is a big guy that creates 1 one 1 mismatches downfield. Rice would beat you off the line with quickness, not top speed. Rice was exceptional at getting separation. MW not so much so.

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Ekeler leads the All Underpaid NFL team IMO.
          I don't think any of them are underpaid.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Time to feed the Mac attack!
            Attached Files
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• AK47
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sdchrgrboy View Post

It was actually over 50 yards I believe
              Must be nice to have an arm like that.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Navarro may be reading us. His current Mike Williams article firs nicely.https://www.chargers.com/news/charge...justin-herbert

His 55-yard reception in the third quarter was the offense's longest reception of the season to date and kept up a recent trend of lengthy plays from No. 81. Since 2018, Williams ranks third in the NFL with 23 receptions of 40-plus yards.

Williams, who has 44 catches for 626 yards and four touchdowns, simply opens up the field for everyone else. His return translated the Chargers most passing yards in a game this season.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Must be nice to have an arm like that.
                  I wonder how fast these QB's can throw a baseball?
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I wonder how fast these QB's can throw a baseball?
                    My recollection is Patrick Mahomes can throw in the mid 90 mph. From a football velocity standpoint my money is on Josh Allen followed by the Mahommes/Herbert tier.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Some 40 yard times are deceiving both for the tall guys with long strides and short guys with short strides, the tall guys might be accelerating by the time they hit 40 yard mark and some of the shorter guys might be losing speed after 20 yards, every body type is different and over the years we’ve seen guys that didn’t do well in the forty dominate in the NFL and we’ve also seen tons of guys that excelled in the 40 stink it up big time…
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Best scenario Week 15

Bills beat Dolphins Sat eve
                        Lions beat Jets Sun morn
                        Raiders beat Patriots Sun aft
                        Chargers beat Titans Sun aft

This would put the Chargers in the No. 6 seed. It would be nice to wrap up a playoff berth in week 17 so that week 18 in Denver is not a must win.

The minimum that needs to happen this week to get inside the playoff window is for the Bills to beat the Dolphins (which is almost a lock IMO) and the Chargers over the Titans - this would put the Chargers in the No. 7 seed, even if the Raiders fall to the Patriots.

Question - what if the Chargers clinch a playoffs spot in Week 17, and in week 18 they could only improve their wildcard seeding from No. 7 to No. 6 with a win over the Broncos in week 18? Do play the starters in week 18?

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Some 40 yard times are deceiving both for the tall guys with long strides and short guys with short strides, the tall guys might be accelerating by the time they hit 40 yard mark and some of the shorter guys might be losing speed after 20 yards, every body type is different and over the years we’ve seen guys that didn’t do well in the forty dominate in the NFL and we’ve also seen tons of guys that excelled in the 40 stink it up big time…
                          So true this.

Comment

Working...
                          X