Seahawks @ Chargers Pre Game Thread (Week 7)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I think Lombardi has been vastly limited in what he can attempt to do this year with Herbert's ribs, the injuries to the line, growing pains with young linemen, the lack of speed at WR and Allen only playing 2 quarters out of 6 games. I do not think the offensive output last year was the big liability that some here seem to think it was - in fact, it was quite good.
    In one of the vids I watched this morning about this, one person mentions that one reason Salyer is doing so well is because Lombardi is scheming to help protect him, but that also limits how wide open the offense can be.

Also, you mention lack of speed. I think Guyton's absence is also limiting the offense and he and his speed is missed more than is realized. They have John Hightower on the PS, a 6-2 5th round pick WR out of Boise State by the Eagles in 2020. Herbert threw to him at the Combine. He ran a 4.43 40 at the Combine. That's pretty decent speed. I wonder if we will see him in a game any time soon.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Both things can be true, rich.

That is, yes the Chargers are finding some ways to win games they normally would have lost. That is good. But it's done in ways that are not conducive to consistent winning, ie living on borrowed time. I firmly believe these things tend to balance out over a long season. And for those shakey teams that carry a hot start into the playoffs, we almost always see them get embarrassed in the first round.

This analysis is made more difficult with all of the injuries we are dealing with.

I think some of the criticism and hand wringing is warranted - fans are antsy for a consistent, reliable winner. But also fair to point out our current disadvantages and be glad we are still 4-2 with hopefully our best football ahead of us.
      There is no team in the league that is perfect or doesn't have areas to improve on, including ours.

I completely agree that It is very hard to get a read on this team with the injuries and IMO people are overlooking how big of an effect this is having on the O. Against the Broncos we had a gimpy RT, a rookie RG playing his 6th game who struggled, a backup center who had no practice all week as Linsley got his food poisoning on Saturday and who got knocked out of the game for a while, a RG who has had a so-so year, and a rookie backup LT making his 3rd start. We had no Keenan. Guyton is on IR. Parham got another concussion. Herbert is beat up. We dinked and dunked and Herbert still got pressured on 38% of his passes. So to hear the complaints about the play calling here and in some of the press is simply not paying attention to what Lombardi has to work with.

People complain about Staley constantly and he certainly is not perfect. You can debate his use of analytics, but he has made no bones about using them so it should not be a surprise that he is. But give him some credit too - there is one team in the entire AFC with a better record than us and they have one more win. There are 2 other teams with same number of wins as us. There are 12 teams with a worse record than us. So while we aren't winning any style points with our close wins, we are winning those games, something 12 other AFC teams aren't doing as well as us. Clearly we have things to fix and I expect things to improve as some guys come back and Herbert gets healthy.

We have 4 wins that were not easy, but they are wins and have positioned us exactly where we need to be going forward. Being the optimist, I see us gradually improving, something we'll need against some of our future opponents.
      Last edited by richpjr; 10-19-2022, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

There is no team in the league that is perfect or doesn't have areas to improve on, including ours.

I completely agree that It is very hard to get a read on this team with the injuries and IMO people are overlooking how big of an effect this is having on the O. Against the Broncos we had a gimpy RT, a rookie RG playing his 6th game who struggled, a backup center who had no practice all week as Linsley got his food poisoning on Saturday and who got knocked out of the game for a while, a RG who has had a so-so year, and a rookie backup LT making his 3rd start. We had no Keenan. Guyton is on IR. Parham got another concussion. Herbert is beat up. We dinked and dunked and Herbert still got pressured on 38% of his passes. So to hear the complaints about the play calling here and in some of the press is simply not paying attention to what Lombardi has to work with.

People complain about Staley constantly and he certainly is not perfect. You can debate his use of analytics, but he has made no bones about using them so it should not be a surprise that he is. But give him some credit too - there is one team in the entire AFC with a better record than us and they have one more win. There are 2 other teams with same number of wins as us. There are 12 teams with a worse record than us. So while we aren't winning any style points with our close wins, we are winning those games, something 12 other AFC teams aren't doing as well as us. Clearly we have things to fix and I expect things to improve as some guys come back and Rivers gets healthy.

We have 4 wins that were not easy, but they are wins and have positioned us exactly where we need to be going forward. Being the optimist, I see us gradually improving, something we'll need against some of our future opponents.
        Very fair assessment...again, after the first game, we have not seen the roster we thought we were gonna have this year...at times, its been nowhere close....but we are adapting on the fly most every game, and squeaking out the wins...just gotta hang tough, TPB...

Adopted Bolt: Scott Matlock

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Its part of dialogue - especially DURING the game when emotions are up and down and all over the place

Maybe Chargers fans are negative but based on history - they expect the other shoe to drop. Maybe Staley and this team will change the history.
          Until this team makes another Super Bowl appearance, you will see the negativity from fans.

I can understand why though. All of these Almost There But Not There is frustrating.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Not making the playoffs would be very disappointing. Not winning a Lombardi this year but being in the tourney would be "Aw shucks! Can't wait for next year!"" ...for me.
            I like this 2022 team and look forward to every game. There's a 50/50 chance that we'll be solid post season contenders.
            4-2 Conf, 2-1 AFCW, is an acceptable start. Eleven games to go. Just win the next one - and the next - etc.
            Our current W % would earn 11 - 6.
            Team health, adjustments and getting new players better integrated will be the difference maker.

Comment

• captaind
              Cook This Pork Chops
              • Jun 2013
              • Balcony
              • Senile Agitator
              • Send PM

The criticism of Staley & Lombardi is fully warranted. Not trying to be overly negative, it is what it is. While I'm happy to be 4-2, I'm not overly excited given the opponents.

Staley is a young Anakin Skywalker. Rash, impatient, wanting. Not a Jedi yet. Much more experience does he require.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Seahawks have young, inconsistent bookend OTs. IOL is solid. Weapons abound. Metcalf. Lockett. Fant. Walker III. Enough to make Geno look decent !

Big challenge for our D.
                Prep well and adjust smoothly.

Woolen is a productive rookie. There's Uchenna.
                DL rotation brings energy.

I project our offense to be able to deal.
                Herb's ribs must be monitored and protected.
                Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                  Not making the playoffs would be very disappointing. Not winning a Lombardi this year but being in the tourney would be "Aw shucks! Can't wait for next year!"" ...for me.
                  I like this 2022 team and look forward to every game. There's a 50/50 chance that we'll be solid post season contenders.
                  4-2 Conf, 2-1 AFCW, is an acceptable start. Eleven games to go. Just win the next one - and the next - etc.
                  Our current W % would earn 11 - 6.
                  Team health, adjustments and getting new players better integrated will be the difference maker.
                  Good post and agree. I think 11 wins is reachable but would really help if you can somehow figure out Sunday, get to 5-2 and go from there. Get healthy post bye
                  Seattle, Atlanta, SF
                  four of five on the road but Atlanta post bye followed by SF, Vegas and AZ - those last three are pretty dang easy road trips
                  MIA, KC and TN all at home - so thats good

Take care of business Sunday, get healthy and hit those last 10 games hard

Comment

• cmplxgal
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • New Jersey
                    • Send PM

NFL TV Schedule and Maps: Week 7, 2022

FOX LATE

Anchorage
                    Fairbanks
                    Honolulu

Kansas City @ San Francisco
                    Kevin Burkhardt, Greg Olsen

Seattle @ LA Chargers
                    Kevin Kugler, Mark Sanchez

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

All I want to see this week if Spiller get some touches. If Rountree is activated of him, it will just be another questionable roster move by this team.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        Seahawks have young, inconsistent bookend OTs. IOL is solid. Weapons abound. Metcalf. Lockett. Fant. Walker III. Enough to make Geno look decent !

Big challenge for our D.
                        Prep well and adjust smoothly.

Woolen is a productive rookie. There's Uchenna.
                        DL rotation brings energy.

I project our offense to be able to deal.
                        Herb's ribs must be monitored and protected.
                        6 games in, Sea has given up 31sr most pass yds. Our coaches should be able to work with that. I'd like to see us keep the ball on O, a lot like Den but score TDs in the red zone.
                        Sea is OK on offense. Geno is doing better than I would have expected.
                        Get some D stops, maybe a takeaway , Get TOP and points on O. Show me some more on STs return & coverage.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                          All I want to see this week if Spiller get some touches. If Rountree is activated of him, it will just be another questionable roster move by this team.
                          Or Spiller still isn't healthy yet (as he himself said last week) and isn't ready.

Comment

Working...
                          X