Chargers @ Browns Game Day Thread / Post Game Reaction (Week 5)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Every run from Ekeler & Kelly's big rushing day.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
      Keenan did not make the trip. I wonder if he was drinking and texting? Does he even drink?

I bet if he was on the sideline or better yet in the game he would have had a different attitude on the decision.

TG
      I treated KA's tweet like any post in the GDT...passion allowed. He wants a win, and he got it, so he's probably happy, and looking forward to being let out of his injury jail cell. Probably will get some WTFs in-person during practice this week from his WR room, lol.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

Why Staley didn't go for the 2 points to make 28-21 ?
        At 31-28, I would have understood the decision to go for it late in the game.
        Not with a 2 points lead !

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
          Is Staley really as a good of a coach as he talks or thinks he is?

I think Staley was probably too young and inexperienced in the NFL to be a head coach when the got the job. He has been learning on the job, and that learning, and mistakes he has made, has cost some games. But I believe he's extremely capable and while he might be in a bit over his head still, I think in the long term he has a chance to be a very good HC. I believe the best thing to do is stick with him at this point. The other options are more detrimental IMO.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I get that you're shell-shocked by previous disappointment (I've been a fan since '76). But... the past has no bearing on the present/future. If that were true, you'd never have the Steeler's dynasty of the '70's... or the Niner's dynasty of the 80's... or the Patriot's dynasty of the 2000's. Those teams sucked... before they didn't.

Wins (ugly or not) get you into the playoffs. Playoffs qualify you for a chance to win a Super Bowl. 8 wild-card teams have won a Super Bowl. It doesn't matter how you're playing at the beginning of the season... are you hot at the end of the season? All of these new players are learning how to play together right now. And we've been playing fairly well... even with all of the injuries we've endured from premium players (KA, Bosa, Slater). Even JCJ and Linsley have missed a game. That's 5 out your 7 best players right there. It's a miracle that we're 3-2! We outplayed the Chiefs without KA and Linsley (for half the game)...

Reasons to be optimistic:

Herbert (obviously)
            Linsley (the best OC we've ever had). Yes, better than Macek or Hardwick.
            Bookend pass rushers. Probably as good (or better) than any duo we've ever had. Grossman/O'niel were very good. Same goes for Jones/Dean. Merriman/Phillips... Bosa/Mack...
            Keenan: If he can get his hammy right again, he'll pass Joiner (this year) and Alworth (next year). Pair him with MW (the Chief killer) and that's a duo that ranks top-5 in Chargers history.
            Derwin: Best safety we've ever had. He's the answer to our "Kelce problem". Not sure if you noticed how ineffective Kelce was last game...
            In fact, JCJ, Callahan, ASJ, Derwin, and Adderly may be one of the best secondaries the Chargers have ever had. Top-5 for sure.

The jury is still out on Salyer, Zion, and Pipkins (sample size to small for me)... but they are trending positively.
            There's plenty to be optimistic about. Collectively, this may be our best roster ever.
            I'll take roster talent over superstition, curses that don't exist, and wins that "should have been more convincing".... every day (and twice on Sundays).

And before you label me as a cool-aid drinker... you should check out some of my posts over the last few years.
            Been a fan since 1977 and this ain't kool-aid, these are facts. It's the best roster on paper since 2006. A franchise QB who is out-performing Dan Marino from a stat perceptive. Please note that that offensive line and RB set the modern TD record, and I don't see that.

It's weird that Lo Gilman is outplaying Nas Adderley at this point. I think Lo is taking active part in compression tackles and the gang tackle mentality that Staley loves, than Nas. That's just what I saw with my eyes rewatching the game last night. Hard without coaches tape to glean more. Lo also the most clutch INT of the young season so far. 2023 - I expect JT Woods to become Derwin James' new running partner next season. Lo Gilman stays and Adderley, in the last year of his deal, moves on.

But right now, the Chargers take care of a stumbling division rival they will be 4-2 and 2-1 in the AFC West. If the Chargers are 4-2 and expecting Joey and Rashaun back this season is cause for optimism.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              I think Staley was probably too young and inexperienced in the NFL to be a head coach when the got the job. He has been learning on the job, and that learning, and mistakes he has made, has cost some games. But I believe he's extremely capable and while he might be in a bit over his head still, I think in the long term he has a chance to be a very good HC. I believe the best thing to do is stick with him at this point. The other options are more detrimental IMO.
              I dont disagree with you.

Trust me I have drank the kool aid and liked the hiring. I like alot about Brandon Staley, and have been pulling for him and felt I had his back when much of the league criticized his coaching last year.

But yesterday he started to lose me bit, giving a team the ball 10 yards out of FG range with a 2 point lead, even if it was a 3 point lead it wold havent have been as bad. And if you know you are going to be agressive and not take your offence off the field then dont call the usual conservative ineffctive calls on other downs so you are always in this position on 4th down.

And the other thing is i need to start seeing more defensive chops from this giuy and better defensive results. Lets remember that this is the easiest part of the schedule.

That said, we get in to the bye with a decent record, get healthier and still lots to cheer for.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

I've lost confidence in him. I want to believe but the team keeps underachieving. We have more talent but our coaching limits them. I'm hoping for the most but my confidence in Staley is low.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                  I've lost confidence in him. I want to believe but the team keeps underachieving. We have more talent but our coaching limits them. I'm hoping for the most but my confidence in Staley is low.
                  I understand where you coming from and I agree about underachieving. But this team can't just keep cycling through head coaches. And I see a lot of positives about Staley and some of the positives - such as the performance of the OL yesterday - give me confidence. Staley is still learning on the job, there's no question, but rather than bail on him I personally think it's better to stick with him and ride out his growing pains.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Looking good "on paper" has to translate into wins on the field. Wins against quality opponents - the kind of teams you'll be up against in the playoffs. I just can't seem to get too excited about lucky (yes, we were lucky yesterday) wins against a team that ranks around 20th in the League Power Rankings. And I'm even less excited about the other wins, against two of the League's bottom feeders.

If people want to hang their hats on "a win is a win", or "on any given Sunday", or "that's why they play the games", I say knock yourselves out. For me, anything short of a Super Bowl VICTORY is a failed season. And I'm not even seeing playoff-caliber football being played by the Chargers at this point, no less serious Super Bowl-caliber play.
                    "On paper" we won an AFC road game without our Pro-Bowl LT, DE, and WR due to injury.
                    If you're only counting on "quality wins from playoff caliber teams"... then you probably won't be interested in watching most of the remaining schedule.
                    If you're relying on pundits Power Rankings to tell you who the playoff caliber teams are (in October, no less)... you'll be really confused come December.
                    Don't be surprised if some of those "bottom feeders" haven't become quality wins. The JAX loss was bad... but so was KC's loss to Indy.

Hint: There are no dominant teams this year... even the Chiefs and Bills are beatable. Apparently, the Dolphins are 100% reliant on fragile Tua's health. There are zero NFC teams that are dominant. Sure, the Eagle will cruise to a good record. But using your standards, will end up 0-0 (no quality wins) at season's end.
                    Get to the playoffs fairly healthy (bad wins and all... if that is actually a thing) and Chargers have as much chance as the Chiefs (who they already out-played) to win the only possible game that could ever validate your definition of a successful season (SB win).

I'm not saying that you can't be pessimistic about certain aspects of the Chargers' season... but portraying them as you have leads me to think one of 2 things:

1) Limited knowledge of the game of football in general
                    2) Limited knowledge of other NFL teams

You can look to the portions of my post that you excluded for help.
                    I can also provide you a breakdown of the teams remaining on our schedule (most of whom we could beat without many of our injured players back).
                    OLineCentric

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2022
                      • White Rock, BC Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      You do have to wonder if Brandon and Joe are actually holding Herbert back. What would Andy Reid be able to do with this guy?

Some around the league critisized not hiring an offensive guru head coach with a young franchise stud like Herbert. Even Staley says Herbert is the franchise that should be built around. Chargers hired a defensive coach who hasnt even been good at that in his first 26 games.

Joe Lombardi was in NO for years, but never allowed to be more than QB coach.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2022
                        • White Rock, BC Canada
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I understand where you coming from and I agree about underachieving. But this team can't just keep cycling through head coaches. And I see a lot of positives about Staley and some of the positives - such as the performance of the OL yesterday - give me confidence. Staley is still learning on the job, there's no question, but rather than bail on him I personally think it's better to stick with him and ride out his growing pains.
                        I hear that too but his inflexibility and defiance concerns me. Growing and evolving in any pursuit involves being open minded, open to change and to be willing to learn from mistakes.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I dont disagree with you.

Trust me I have drank the kool aid and liked the hiring. I like alot about Brandon Staley, and have been pulling for him and felt I had his back when much of the league criticized his coaching last year.

But yesterday he started to lose me bit, giving a team the ball 10 yards out of FG range with a 2 point lead, even if it was a 3 point lead it wold havent have been as bad. And if you know you are going to be agressive and not take your offence off the field then dont call the usual conservative ineffctive calls on other downs so you are always in this position on 4th down.

And the other thing is i need to start seeing more defensive chops from this giuy and better defensive results. Lets remember that this is the easiest part of the schedule.

That said, we get in to the bye with a decent record, get healthier and still lots to cheer for.
                          Staley is still teaching his defensive concepts. Certain performance deficiencies are no longer acceptable (see Nasir).

The first thing Staley said in the post game locker room speech was that there were some things that would get fixed as soon as they got on the plane.

I have no idea why any of you got on this ride,
                          if you were not gonna stay on until the end.

:coffee:​​​​​​​
                          Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.

Comment

Working...
                          X