Chargers @ Texans Pregame Thread (Week 4)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • electricgold
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

If that was the case, they should’ve selected him a round or two earlier. They selected Brenden Jamies pick #159 5th rd. 2021 a completely developmental OG who rarely saw the field as a rookie or now in his 2nd season. Jamaree Salyer wasn’t selected until the 6th rd. #195 overall. Polished Collegiate LT/LG who should have replaced Feiler sometime in the 2nd half of the first game this season.

Point is they (Telesco) don’t seem to have a clue how to value prospects past the elite blue collar legitimate 1st rd talents. It’s freaking sad really and I have no explanation for their methodology other than they like more picks to average out their misses. Staley is too embedded in his expresso, to alter his ego (afraid to piss of veterans maybe) and evaluate performance on equal playing field. Good God man it’s Football not rocket science.

And yes, I will be at the game Sunday, my purpose to win the day!
    OK cool, please let us know how TT's prospect Salyer looks who he decided could be a possible solution IF we needed a LT to spell Slater for this season Also Ek, JK & Sony should have a good game and we should put up close to 100 yards rushing this game. If we don't please let us know IF it's the Oline or RB's??? Herbert needs to have a high completion rate in this game and if he does, I like our chances.

Comment

• Portland1961
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Hillsboro Oregon
      • Construction Re-roof Estimator
      • Send PM

Like Chargeroo, I was sitting in old Balboa Stadium in 1961. Bought two season tickets and kept them even while in Army from 1964 through 1970. When I came home I started using them and taking my wife I married in Europe and who never saw American football. One of the games we saw was a preseason game with Vikings when they had the massive fight. She said wow, is it always like this.

Anyhow i was the same for me and spent lots of money over the years on games and gear. I still hope and root for them each game but being a realist I always wait for the bonehead play that shoots them in the ass and costs them the game. But still hope.

BUT HERES HOPING!!!!!

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Agree, too many 3 and outs killed our D, along with not scoring any points. Our D was gassed when they gave up the long run. In fact the last 2 games they have played great and most of the rushing yards came on 2 plays.
        I have always felt that I've valued first downs more than anyone I talk with.
        going 3 and out places sooo much addressed stress and fatigue on your defense, 2 in a row and you're basically screwed.
        1 thing I appreciate about Lombardi's short game, assuming Herbert and company can master it, is it's emphasis on staying ahead on down and distance.
        that way we can control tempo and clock.
        comes handy to guve our D rest for an explosive 4th quarter.
        Also helps back off pressure from good passrushing teams, it's absolutely necessary.

wts, I'd generally like to initially try to take huge knockout blows early in the game as a strategy that fits Herberts strengths.
        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Against the Texans last season, the Chargers' leading rusher and receiver is no longer on the team - Justin Jackson. Mike Williams and Keenan Allen both missed the game.

Josh Palmer played 97% of the offensive snaps, caught 5 of 6 passes for 43 yds and 1 TD.

Justin Herbert threw for 336 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT and was sacked once.

Jason Moore had more receiving yds than Palmer: 3 catches for 56 yds, 18.7 yd average

Michael Bandy returned 4 kickoffs for an average of 22 yds per.

Tillery had the only sack of the game on Davis Mills.

The Texans went off on the Chargers' inept run defense, for 189 yds on the ground. They out-gained the Chargers by 20 yds and had a 35-25 min TOP advantage.
          ---------------

Mike Williams had 100+ yds receiving four times last season. His high was 165 yds v. Cleveland. He had an additional two games with 90+ yds. It would be nice for him to have a big day tomorrow and prove he was worth the contract he got. If they double Mike, Josh Palmer needs to make them pay.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post

If that was the case, they should’ve selected him a round or two earlier. They selected Brenden Jamies pick #159 5th rd. 2021 a completely developmental OG who rarely saw the field as a rookie or now in his 2nd season. Jamaree Salyer wasn’t selected until the 6th rd. #195 overall. Polished Collegiate LT/LG who should have replaced Feiler sometime in the 2nd half of the first game this season.

Point is they (Telesco) don’t seem to have a clue how to value prospects past the elite blue collar legitimate 1st rd talents. It’s freaking sad really and I have no explanation for their methodology other than they like more picks to average out their misses. Staley is too embedded in his expresso, to alter his ego (afraid to piss of veterans maybe) and evaluate performance on equal playing field. Good God man it’s Football not rocket science.

And yes, I will be at the game Sunday, my purpose to win the day!
            I’m in the front engine car stoking coal in the furnace of the Feiler-Ain’t-Much train, but i can’t see criticizing a FO if a guy they land in the 6th round turns out to be a quality starter. There’s plenty of TT picks you could criticize instead. Any pick from 5 down is a coin flip imo.

Maybe we should see Salyer play a game though.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              Against the Texans last season, the Chargers' leading rusher and receiver is no longer on the team - Justin Jackson. Mike Williams and Keenan Allen both missed the game.

Josh Palmer played 97% of the offensive snaps, caught 5 of 6 passes for 43 yds and 1 TD.

Justin Herbert threw for 336 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT and was sacked once.

Jason Moore had more receiving yds than Palmer: 3 catches for 56 yds, 18.7 yd average

Michael Bandy returned 4 kickoffs for an average of 22 yds per.

Tillery had the only sack of the game on Davis Mills.

The Texans went off on the Chargers' inept run defense, for 189 yds on the ground. They out-gained the Chargers by 20 yds and had a 35-25 min TOP advantage.
              ---------------

Mike Williams had 100+ yds receiving four times last season. His high was 165 yds v. Cleveland. He had an additional two games with 90+ yds. It would be nice for him to have a big day tomorrow and prove he was worth the contract he got. If they double Mike, Josh Palmer needs to make them pay.
              I don’t care for the Moore over Bandy PS elevation. Coaches need to show some minimal respect to players earning it on the fucking field and dispel their predispositions. Bandy soundly outperformed Moore by miles and miles in the PS.

Even based on assessment - Moore doesn’t bring anything we don’t have in Palmer and Williams imo. He’s not a great receiver either slot or outside. Palmer can play outside, he’s not a uniquely great slot receiver that can’t move outside either. Bandy gets open and that has seemed to be a uniquely difficult task the last few games for receivers.

I’d have MDub and Palmer outside base with Bandy in the slot, myself. Throw in some Parham Eke Everett and maybe we got something if the OL holds up with Salyer.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don’t care for the Moore over Bandy PS elevation. Coaches need to show some minimal respect to players earning it on the fucking field and dispel their predispositions. Bandy soundly outperformed Moore by miles and miles in the PS.

Even based on assessment - Moore doesn’t bring anything we don’t have in Palmer and Williams imo. He’s not a great receiver either slot or outside. Palmer can play outside, he’s not a uniquely great slot receiver that can’t move outside either. Bandy gets open and that has seemed to be a uniquely difficult task the last few games for receivers.

I’d have MDub and Palmer outside base with Bandy in the slot, myself. Throw in some Parham Eke Everett and maybe we got something if the OL holds up with Salyer.
                Parham is out for this game isn't he? Don't forget about DeAndre Carter, who may be on his way to becoming Herbert's favorite deep threat. I'd've gone with Bandy also, not sure what they see in Moore, expect he did OK against the Texans last year. Right now they only have 4 WRs, so they might bring up Bandy before tomorrow. Or maybe they'll activate Spiller for this game - I'd really like to see that.

It looks like Salyer will be going up against Houston's RDE Jerry Hughes, who's 34, and has four sacks on the season, two v the Colts in week 1 and two v the Bears in week 3.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I have always felt that I've valued first downs more than anyone I talk with.
                  going 3 and out places sooo much addressed stress and fatigue on your defense, 2 in a row and you're basically screwed.
                  1 thing I appreciate about Lombardi's short game, assuming Herbert and company can master it, is it's emphasis on staying ahead on down and distance.
                  that way we can control tempo and clock.
                  comes handy to guve our D rest for an explosive 4th quarter.
                  Also helps back off pressure from good passrushing teams, it's absolutely necessary.

wts, I'd generally like to initially try to take huge knockout blows early in the game as a strategy that fits Herberts strengths.
                  No reason the defense can’t force 3 and outs and get off the field. Also would give the offense more opportunities to get into rhythm. The defense was gassed. Cause they couldn’t get off the damn field

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

No reason the defense can’t force 3 and outs and get off the field. Also would give the offense more opportunities to get into rhythm. The defense was gassed. Cause they couldn’t get off the damn field
                    Yes,
                    buuuuuut
                    The offense has the natural advantage of having the ball and snapping it, all of the rules have slowly evolved to favor offensive scoring, we have Herbert who can threaten every square foot of the field.
                    Unless we're up against an elite defense, there's no excuse for not getting 1 first down at an elite level.
                    coaching AND execution both responsible, needs to set up our D and expect that opposing offenses are going to get a lucky flag PI, or break a run or whatever.

edit:back to back 3andouts is just unacceptable, especially in the second half.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

..And when they did the offense went 3 & out or turned it over. Vs Jax was a team loss. Chargers 10 - Jags 38 was not acceptable on any level.
                      So, that's history. Do not repeat.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chargers/co...m_source=share

Got an "ouchy"?
                        use a Bandy.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Bandy’s up per Popper. Let’s go Bandy. Give us something to justify our support.

Comment

Working...
                          X