Chargers @ Texans Pregame Thread (Week 4)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

But to be able to run the ball - the defense is going to have to show the heck up and get some stops to allow the run game to continue. If the team gets behind, Lombo will probably just go back to pass pass pass.
    The defense is fine. The offense has to not turn the ball over, hopefully achieve some 1st downs more than one series per half. 10 points vs JAX was pure A BS!

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Keenan ruled out

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
        Keenan ruled out
        Yep. We'll need him later. Good time to establish the run.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Chargers Fans invest a lot of their time and energy and sometimes $$ because we want to see this squad SUCCEED!!!!!! When they take a loss we take a loss and some of us hate losing. When this team ascends the fans ascend, when they under achieve without giving total effort, frankly its sad.
          Fans don’t invest time, they allocate time as a choice because it entertains them. We are not nobly contributing charitable works and we watch for ourselves, not the team. NFL is an entertainment industry, America is awash with options good to bad to worse. We here choose Chargers. Enjoy your time you devote to football if you devote time to football, thats what I’m saying here.

I wouldnt waste time on football if it did not entertain me. I waste time on many things but I uniquely look forward to wasting time on Chargers football, I definitely enjoy more when they win more, but I enjoy consuming Charger football when they don’t. Id rather watch the Chargers lose than any other team win, I don’t care about any other team. But they don’t owe me. I watched last time. I watch again next time, its that simple.

Its normal for humans to lose varying degrees of perspective on topics we have feelings about. This is one for many, its normal and predictable. I’m just pointing to an alternate perspective which might increase aggregate life happiness for someone. I watch as much Charger football as the next, in that i watch every single play. yet I’m usually happier here as I find the perspective that works for me. If this doesn’t work for others, i get it. Just thinking out loud as I’ve read hundreds of unhappy posts for a topic that is 100% self-chosen and optional. Choosing to be unhappy is just not wise.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Los Angeles Chargers WR Keenan Allen out again with hamstring injury

2:14 PM PT

• Lindsey Thiry
            • ESPN
            COSA MESA, Calif. -- Los Angeles Chargers wide receiver Keenan Allen has been ruled out of Sunday's game against the Houston Texans because of a hamstring injury.
            Center Corey Linsley, with a knee issue, and tight end Donald Parham Jr., also with a hamstring injury, are questionable. Cornerback J.C. Jackson, who has been dealing with an ankle issue, and quarterback Justin Herbert, who has fractured rib cartilage, will play.

The Chargers are 1-2 and have been dealing with a host of injury issues, which included placing left tackle Rashawn Slater and edge rusher Joey Bosa on injured reserve earlier this week.
            Allen suffered the hamstring injury in Week 1 and has not played since.
            Earlier in the week, coach Brandon Staley expressed growing confidence that Allen might be able to return against the Texans.
            However, on Friday, Staley said that Allen "kind of felt something" during individual drills at practice.
            "We're going to hold him out of this game, just going to make sure that he keeps making progress," Staley said of the 10th-year pro. "Just don't want to push it where you have a significant setback of a major injury, so he couldn't make it this week and next week we'll give it another shot."
            Staley added that Allen did not suffer a major setback. "Just didn't make enough progress to make it to the game," he said.
            Allen has led the Chargers in receptions since 2017.
            The Bolts are also without reserve wide receiver Jalen Guyton, who tore his left anterior cruciate ligament last Sunday.

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

The defense is fine. The offense has to not turn the ball over, hopefully achieve some 1st downs more than one series per half. 10 points vs JAX was pure A BS!
              Not totally fine. 3rd most points scored against in the NFL and bottom 3 in run defence.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Not totally fine. 3rd most points scored against in the NFL and bottom 3 in run defence.
                Right. We were awful vs Jax. O, D & STs.
                I'm guilty of thinking talent matters.

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                  Right. We were awful vs Jax. O, D & STs.
                  I'm guilty of thinking talent matters.
                  I actually thought our defense was great in the first half. Jax kept getting the ball in great field position but our D kept them out of the end zone. They seemed to give up in the third quarter after the 4th and one that went for 50 yards. Maybe they were simply worn out because they were on the field for most of the game.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltx
                    Dominate the day
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I actually thought our defense was great in the first half. Jax kept getting the ball in great field position but our D kept them out of the end zone. They seemed to give up in the third quarter after the 4th and one that went for 50 yards. Maybe they were simply worn out because they were on the field for most of the game.
                    They were gassed for sure. And yes, they did limit the damage in the first half pretty nicely.

So looks like no KA, Linsley and Parham questionable. Expect a low scoring, ugly game. But that's how it's gotta be for awhile until we can get relatively healthy again.
                    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Fans don’t invest time, they allocate time as a choice because it entertains them. We are not nobly contributing charitable works and we watch for ourselves, not the team. NFL is an entertainment industry, America is awash with options good to bad to worse. We here choose Chargers. Enjoy your time you devote to football if you devote time to football, thats what I’m saying here.

I wouldnt waste time on football if it did not entertain me. I waste time on many things but I uniquely look forward to wasting time on Chargers football, I definitely enjoy more when they win more, but I enjoy consuming Charger football when they don’t. Id rather watch the Chargers lose than any other team win, I don’t care about any other team. But they don’t owe me. I watched last time. I watch again next time, its that simple.

Its normal for humans to lose varying degrees of perspective on topics we have feelings about. This is one for many, its normal and predictable. I’m just pointing to an alternate perspective which might increase aggregate life happiness for someone. I watch as much Charger football as the next, in that i watch every single play. yet I’m usually happier here as I find the perspective that works for me. If this doesn’t work for others, i get it. Just thinking out loud as I’ve read hundreds of unhappy posts for a topic that is 100% self-chosen and optional. Choosing to be unhappy is just not wise.
                      Good post, valid and I mostly agree,
                      just want to add that sometimes people grow unhealthy relationships with their chosen teams.
                      However, imho, "unhappy posts" is not necessarily indicative of such a relationship.
                      people grow attachments towards sports teams for several reasons, and if you believe in Attachment Theory, you can see those dynamics play out.
                      If you're a postmodernist to any degre, there is room for having your relationship to your team be more than just entertainment or happiness. In many ways it IS a deep personal and emotional investment for some, (myself included) and can have meaning in the form of disappointment, disgust, embarrassment and other "negative emotions"
                      the key is the meaning behind these emotions. For you, clearly, the main value it holds is entertainment and happiness and that's great. At the same time, for me, its that and its a safe and comfortable space I hold for negative emotions, critical thinking, self challenge and discovery. Essentially, I'm comfortable with my relationship with our team, even if it may seem odd or unhealthy to others.
                      I agree that if the relationship with the team is causing actual life-distress that is unmanageable or simply destructive, you should reconsider how much value you place on what is essentially entertainment product designed to squeeze your wallet dry.

Curious to hear what you (and others) think.
                      Cheers.
                      Last edited by 21&500; 09-30-2022, 06:37 PM.
                      2024: Far From Over

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

I've been a Chargers fan ever since they moved to SD in 1961. I've spent a ton of money on them over the years. Overall, I've had a lot of enjoyment from my favorite team. I view it as entertainment in a sport that I enjoy. Even in the worst years, they've always had a few great players that are fun to watch.

I used to lose sleep over them but somewhere along the way, I got to where I accepted that they aren't always playing as well as I expected and it ceased to bother me that much. Win or lose, they always have players that are fun to watch. I enjoy them the most when they have a big time offense. Sadly, it looks like the offense has lost its punch this year. I'll have to enjoy Herbert and the defense for now.

I expect some low scoring games until we get the injured guys back. I think this week's game will be one of those low scoring games.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Good post, valid and I mostly agree,
                          just want to add that sometimes people grow unhealthy relationships with their chosen teams.
                          However, imho, "unhappy posts" is not necessarily indicative of such a relationship.
                          people grow attachments towards sports teams for several reasons, and if you believe in Attachment Theory, you can see those dynamics play out.
                          If you're a postmodernist to any degre, there is room for having your relationship to your team be more than just entertainment or happiness. In many ways it IS a deep personal and emotional investment for some, (myself included) and can have meaning in the form of disappointment, disgust, embarrassment and other "negative emotions"
                          the key is the meaning behind these emotions. For you, clearly, the main value it holds is entertainment and happiness and that's great. At the same time, for me, its that and its a safe and comfortable space I hold for negative emotions, critical thinking, self challenge and discovery. Essentially, I'm comfortable with my relationship with our team, even if it may seem odd or unhealthy to others.
                          I agree that if the relationship with the team is causing actual life-distress that is unmanageable or simply destructive, you should reconsider how much value you place on what is essentially entertainment product designed to squeeze your wallet dry.

Curious to hear what you think.
                          Cheers.
                          I agree with you on the points that you raise.

I actually enjoy being able to discuss what I perceive as issues/problems with the team even though many of the issues with the team are frustrating to me, especially the ones that I believe are avoidable. Just as you have said, that comes from a deep commitment to the team, in my case as a fan for some 48 years.

To me, it is also very enjoyable to read what others have to say about the team, whether or not I agree with them. I often learn about team developments through reading what others have said and I occasionally learn things about Chargers football and football in general, which I also find enjoyable.

But at the end of the day, it is just football and it seems strange to me that long term Chargers fans can be easily "life-distressed" about what is happening with the team when there have been so many frustrating developments in many of the seasons. We have been through the Holy Roller, a pure luck tipped pass TD for the Raiders in the 1980 AFCCG, -59 degree wind chill weather in the 1981 AFCCG, Nate Kaeding's playoff woes, Marlon McCree's fumble, too many injuries to count in the 2007 AFCCG, Cromartie making a business decision to join the Jets during the 2009 AFC playoffs while playing against the Jets, the wasting of Rivers' career, and 35-32 in the season finale just last season just to name some of the adverse events along the way.

If we can go through those times and remain more committed than ever, then I do not see a little well deserved saltiness toward Lombardi's admittedly poor play calling to be anything even remotely close to being of a life-distressing nature.

On the other hand, on a personal level, and to bring things into a little bit of a better perspective, last week, a friend decided that her life was no longer worth living and she killed herself. That was the first time that anyone that I considered to be a valued friend had done anything like that in my 54 years. For me, that tragic occurrence was of a "life-distressing" nature as I was shocked/stunned and very much saddened to learn the bad news. I think the difference between posting on a forum even out of some frustration and that kind of real life tragedy (or other life-distressing events of a different nature) is pretty easy to see. At least I hope it is.

Comment

Working...
                          X