Safety Help..Jaquiski Tartt?, Anyone Else?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety Help..Jaquiski Tartt?, Anyone Else?

Jaquiski Tartt was released by the Eagles today.

He had a small contract with the Eagles (1 year, $1.12M, $500K guaranteed). He would be an immediate upgrade over any of Gilman, Webb, Woods and Layne while we try to develop Woods. He is solid at all phases of the game and would be a great S3.

I would love to see us sign him. I think safety is a huge need right now given how much Woods has struggled and how limited Webb and Gilman are.

What do you guys think?
  • kgbpasha
    #болтап
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

No thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by kgbpasha View Post
      No thanks.
      Sure, he dropped an important INT, but he is a solid player and 3 times as good as any of Gilman, Webb, Woods and Layne and he would cost very little for us to sign. He is a good tackler and he is at least solid in coverage. I think he would be a great #3 safety for us.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Experience counts when you’re trying to win it all.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by kgbpasha View Post
          No thanks.
          A new nominee for the "Butterfingers" Benji award...

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Tartt's production over 7 seasons isn't all that impressive. Looks like he averages about a pick or less and only 2-3 PD's per season. I'd at least like to see more PD's...pass...

tartt.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              Tartt's production over 7 seasons isn't all that impressive. Looks like he averages about a pick or less and only 2-3 PD's per season. I'd at least like to see more PD's...pass...

tartt.JPG
              Solid 60s PFF grades across the board last year. Webb and Layne are on the PS and Woods cannot tackle to save his life and should not be on an NFL field in 2022. So that leaves Alohi Gilman. Tartt is way better than Gilman. Otherwise, Gilman is on the field in the much discussed Staley 3 safety looks.

It is not that Tartt is any sort of great player. Rather, he is just a solid NFL player, which makes him better than any safety on our team not named James or Adderley.

The reality is that we need to add someone. Safety should easily be our top priority right now as we have no competent subs (sorry, Alohi) and no decent third safety. The whole not being able to tackle thing is kind of a killer as far as Woods is concerned. He looked like the worst player on the roster in the preseason games.

Comment

• kgbpasha
                #болтап
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Is Tartt even on a practice squad anywhere?

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Sure, he dropped an important INT, but he is a solid player and 3 times as good as any of Gilman, Webb, Woods and Layne and he would cost very little for us to sign. He is a good tackler and he is at least solid in coverage. I think he would be a great #3 safety for us.
                  agree..... he would improve our safety room....

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Solid 60s PFF grades across the board last year. Webb and Layne are on the PS and Woods cannot tackle to save his life and should not be on an NFL field in 2022. So that leaves Alohi Gilman. Tartt is way better than Gilman. Otherwise, Gilman is on the field in the much discussed Staley 3 safety looks.

It is not that Tartt is any sort of great player. Rather, he is just a solid NFL player, which makes him better than any safety on our team not named James or Adderley.

The reality is that we need to add someone. Safety should easily be our top priority right now as we have no competent subs (sorry, Alohi) and no decent third safety. The whole not being able to tackle thing is kind of a killer as far as Woods is concerned. He looked like the worst player on the roster in the preseason games.
                    Crusher, agree with u on Woods...the dude was a reach in round 3 and looks to be the safety version of a Pip-like project...embarrassing how weak his tackling is...but...I'm guessing the Bolts think he can be coached up and don't want to risk sending him to the PS where he might, might get poached...in the meantime, if any of our safeties get injured, I'll cringe every time he tries to make a tackle...does Tartt tackle any better than Woodywhiffy?

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Crusher, agree with u on Woods...the dude was a reach in round 3 and looks to be the safety version of a Pip-like project...embarrassing how weak his tackling is...but...I'm guessing the Bolts think he can be coached up and don't want to risk sending him to the PS where he might, might get poached...in the meantime, if any of our safeties get injured, I'll cringe every time he tries to make a tackle...does Tartt tackle any better than Woodywhiffy?
                      Yes, Tartt is known as a solid tackler. If one had to identify his greatest strength, it could be his tackling ability. Although he is fairly well rounded as a safety, the weakest aspect of his game is probably pass coverage. But again, he pulled PFF grades in the 60s in every individual area last year, including coverage.

He is just a solid, but not spectacular player. He is easily better than our backups--probably closest to Adderley in terms of overall ability, but I would probably give a small edge to Adderley at this point in their careers. This is a guy that has been a starter in every game in which he has played over the past 5 seasons. That he has had some injury issues and dropped a critical INT against the Rams are probably the worst things that could be said about Tartt as a player.

I agree with you on Woods too--that he may be a Pipkins like project. Woods has legitimate speed, good length and good ball skills. So I agree that we cannot expose him to waivers and the practice squad. In that situation, we might do well to consider carrying 5 safeties, since Staley plays three safety alignments at times, giving us one sub and an inactive Woods with 5 safeties on the roster.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • New Jersey
                        • Send PM

I think that, once Jackson is healthy, the Chargers will cut Leonard, sign him to the PS if no one claims him, and then sign a safety to the 53-man roster. Tartt is a possibility. The Chargers can't get by with only four safeties, especially when one of them--Woods--shouldn't be on the field yet given his tackling deficiencies. At least I hope the Chargers do this.

Comment

Working...
                        X