• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Ekeler and Sony both got stuffed quite a bit on inside runs. Kelly had a massive hole on one and to his credit he did not waste much time.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

I say it some every year, but it takes time for OL and RB to get in synch with each other. More so now that they don't spend much time playing together in preseason. Even when Kelley was playing in PS, we were still throwing a lot of passes, working on other things, but not necessarily just banging the running game.\

It is not like we are the only team with this issue. Most of the teams in the league are suffering from it. You just have to keep at it, or it will never get any better. It comes with practice and the more you do it the better you get.

As far as Sony goes, he has been in the O for like 2 weeks? He will get somewhat better. He hasn't worked with ANY of our OL before, and he needs to see how they work as a group.

I think we have a nice mix in the RB room. Kelley is a bit more of a slasher. Sony has some power, especially inside. Ekeler has a little of both.

The one thing we might do better is where we run. THe Chargers made a real effort to run behind Pip and Zion, and they had some success there. But just because those guys look like they have some real potential as run blockers, the left side is still the go-to side. Probably always will be. I just had the feeling like Lombardi was trying to stay away from running that way. Let other teams know they need to load up because Feiler and Slater will bring it and we still love to run behind them.

Feiler is not this elite, pass protector guy. He is OK in protection, but he is at his best on inside and offtackle zone runs to the offensive left. And Slater is just awesome at sealing off the backside on those runs, so anyone who wants to run down the RB from behind has to run half way to China to do it. Be a little predictiable. Make teams sell out to stop the run against our left. Make them slide the LB over or bring up a DB with some leverage to help out. That will open things up. That was Lombardi's Grandfather's big thing. Make them sell out to stop your best stuff, then make them pay for over-committing. It still works, even if we will be using different plays today.

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I say it some every year, but it takes time for OL and RB to get in synch with each other. More so now that they don't spend much time playing together in preseason. Even when Kelley was playing in PS, we were still throwing a lot of passes, working on other things, but not necessarily just banging the running game.\

It is not like we are the only team with this issue. Most of the teams in the league are suffering from it. You just have to keep at it, or it will never get any better. It comes with practice and the more you do it the better you get.

As far as Sony goes, he has been in the O for like 2 weeks? He will get somewhat better. He hasn't worked with ANY of our OL before, and he needs to see how they work as a group.

I think we have a nice mix in the RB room. Kelley is a bit more of a slasher. Sony has some power, especially inside. Ekeler has a little of both.

The one thing we might do better is where we run. THe Chargers made a real effort to run behind Pip and Zion, and they had some success there. But just because those guys look like they have some real potential as run blockers, the left side is still the go-to side. Probably always will be. I just had the feeling like Lombardi was trying to stay away from running that way. Let other teams know they need to load up because Feiler and Slater will bring it and we still love to run behind them.

Feiler is not this elite, pass protector guy. He is OK in protection, but he is at his best on inside and offtackle zone runs to the offensive left. And Slater is just awesome at sealing off the backside on those runs, so anyone who wants to run down the RB from behind has to run half way to China to do it. Be a little predictiable. Make teams sell out to stop the run against our left. Make them slide the LB over or bring up a DB with some leverage to help out. That will open things up. That was Lombardi's Grandfather's big thing. Make them sell out to stop your best stuff, then make them pay for over-committing. It still works, even if we will be using different plays today.
        Run some old counter trays, step left and go right.

Comment

Working...
        X