Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Week 1 Pregame Discussion Thread - Raiders At Bolts

The Raiders are really full of themselves right now. They went 4-0 in the preseason and just got through trashing the Patriots 23-6. Their fans thinks this is an indication that they are an elite team. Some of them do anyway.

I feel the key to winning this game is to dominate the Raiders' very suspect OL. The Chargers now have the DL that can do that, and an edge rushing duo that should manhandle Raiders tackles Kolton Miller and Alex Leatherwood. Shut down the running game and keep the pressure on Carr all game long. The Raiders' secondary is also a weakness. If the Chargers' OL can give Herbert a clean pocket, he should great success completing passes on all levels. The Chargers have a trio of WRs - KA, MW, JP - who can rip apart any secondary. They should be able to dominate the Raiders' DBs, which is average at best. The Chargers will have open receivers running open through the Raider D second and third level, that I can almost guarantee. The key will be keeping Maxx Crosby and Chandler Jones out of Herbert's face.

My prediction: 34-17 Chargers.
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Chargers open as a 4 point favorite.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      Chargers open as a 4 point favorite.
      The line has moved since last week. It was 3.5.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

But we sucked in preseason!

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          But we sucked in preseason!
          You mean our scrubs sucked in preseason.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

F.T.R.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

2 weeks folks

Comment

• Eurobolt
                *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

JC playing?

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post
                  JC playing?
                  Maybe. 2 weeks might do the trick.
                  JC has been taking advantage of a hyperbaric chamber which speeds healing in small wounds.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    The Raiders are really full of themselves right now. They went 4-0 in the preseason and just got through trashing the Patriots 23-6. Their fans thinks this is an indication that they are an elite team. Some of them do anyway.

I feel the key to winning this game is to dominate the Raiders' very suspect OL. The Chargers now have the DL that can do that, and an edge rushing duo that should manhandle Raiders tackles Kolton Miller and Alex Leatherwood. Shut down the running game and keep the pressure on Carr all game long. The Raiders' secondary is also a weakness. If the Chargers' OL can give Herbert a clean pocket, he should great success completing passes on all levels. The Chargers have a trio of WRs - KA, MW, JP - who can rip apart any secondary. They should be able to dominate the Raiders' DBs, which is average at best. The Chargers will have open receivers running open through the Raider D second and third level, that I can almost guarantee. The key will be keeping Maxx Crosby and Chandler Jones out of Herbert's face.

My prediction: 34-17 Chargers.
                    Your analysis is mostly sound, but I doubt we outscore the Raiders by 17. I'd take a win, even an ugly win. I think this is going to be a close game, and actually might be a good look into what can expect from the team this season. These are the kinds of games that playoff teams need to win.

But...it's only one game, and it's a long season. Lots of playoff teams have started out slowly only to get hot at the right time; lots of teams have started out hot and missed the playoffs. If I had my choice, I'd prefer the team to peak toward the last 3-4 games of the season.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                      Stack Au Ag Pb
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

Well I hope Kelley continues to play with his hair on fire if he does that’s a helluva 1-2 punch with Eck.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

I'm reading now that the Raiders are trying to trade Alex Leatherwood, the OT the Raiders drafted at No. 17 overall last year (4 picks after the Chargers took Slater) and could be released if they can't trade him. The Bengals are one team mentioned as a possible trade partner. The reason Leatherwood has struggled at the NFL level is because he lacks sound technique, according to what I've read. The polar opposite of Slater.

Also, DE Clelin Ferrell, drafted with the No. 4 overall pick in 2019 as the replacement for losing Mack to Chicago, may also be released. He has fallen to the bottom of the Raiders' depth chart. There is a substantial cap hit if they do cut him.

The right side of the Raiders' OL is a huge weakness. I've read that Brandon Parker, who would replace Leatherwood at RT, has also struggled, as has Lester Cotton at RG. There should be some opportunities for Bosa there. Their entire OL is average at best. They aren't going to be able to double-team Bosa with Mack on the other side. I really do think this game will be won by the Chargers big bodies up front dominating the Raiders OL in the trenches.

Comment

Working...
                        X