What Rookies Have Made Good or Bad Impression?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

What Rookies Have Made Good or Bad Impression?

I’m referring to guys from all around the league maybe some you wanted on the chargers perhaps others you didn’t. How are they doing? I’ll be adding to my list as the preseason progresses.

charles cross——looks like he might be the best OT of the 2022 draft and the seahawks got themselves another starter in lucas in round three, lucas has been impressive…

evan neal——has looked slow, he does not look good, maybe he’s hurt, IDK but I’ve watched some giant games to see how our once would be coach brian daboll is doing and neal has looked bad…daboll on the other hand seems to be helping daniel a bit, thibido doesn’t look like a top 5 pick, I like ojilari better and he was a third rounder I wanted the chargers to draft in 2021…

I was impressed with tyler smith from dallas on saturday, he looks like he could play this year if needed…

kenny pickett has looked very impressive so far, he was rumored to be a top ten pick and right now he looks like a bigger more athletic and even more accurate mac jones plus a faster release…

isaiah likely might be the best receiving TE in the entire draft, ravens got him late in the 4rth, I liked greg dulcich more but I think I was mistaken, likely looks amazing…

"The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​
  • Duck of Death
    Social Piranha
    • May 2022
    • Flyover, USA
    • Send PM

Great topic. I’ve only read & not so much observed - about the following:

Nick Cross & Jalen Pitre have supposedly impressed. Trevor Penning, as expected, has been a plus run blocker and not so great at pass pro (although supposedly better in his 2nd outing). Jaquan Brisker has garnered some positive attention. Ditto for big Jordan Davis. I have, however, seen George Karlaftis looking pretty legit - damn.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post
      Great topic. I’ve only read & not so much observed - about the following:

Nick Cross & Jalen Pitre have supposedly impressed. Trevor Penning, as expected, has been a plus run blocker and not so great at pass pro (although supposedly better in his 2nd outing). Jaquan Brisker has garnered some positive attention. Ditto for big Jordan Davis. I have, however, seen George Karlaftis looking pretty legit - damn.
      Brisker has been impressive….jordan davis already a force and is so raw technique wise, of he gets conditioning and technique it’s going to be scary, karlaftis has looked good, I didn’t like him much coming out, I was totally wrong…
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Brock Purdy.

Comment

• foreigner
          Tom Telesco is gone
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

How about our boy Zion ? havent see many reviews on him....

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
            How about our boy Zion ? havent see many reviews on him....
            I didn’t include zion on my list because I’ve already expected him to be good and he has lived up to that without any surprises, plus I’ve discussed it extensively on many threads here already…

I did read this article on CBS sports this morning (they copied my thread, LOL) that gives Zion an A grade (one of the few A’s given) it also has a nice little excerpt about how good he’s been:
            https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...and-surprised/

Comment

• eaterfan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

I was hoping Travis Jones would fall to us. I know he wasn't a need after the FA, period, but I thought he was 95% as good as Davis and could be had much later.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Malik Willis looks phenomenal.

Comment

• Shock&Awe
                  Great White North
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Kenny Pickett looks really good, I thought this would be a red shirt year but maybe he'll be starting quicker than everyone thinks. Dax Hill in Cincinnati looks like it's an easy decision to move on from Jessie Bates next off-season. Trevor Penning is the other rookie that has really stood out from that OT class. There's going to be a lot of good ones but he has this mean streak too him that will propel him to the next level.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Shock&Awe View Post
                    Kenny Pickett looks really good, I thought this would be a red shirt year but maybe he'll be starting quicker than everyone thinks. Dax Hill in Cincinnati looks like it's an easy decision to move on from Jessie Bates next off-season. Trevor Penning is the other rookie that has really stood out from that OT class. There's going to be a lot of good ones but he has this mean streak too him that will propel him to the next level.
                    I will say this about trevor penning…I was one of the people that didn’t want us to draft him, but not because I thought he’d be a bust, I thought this team needs help now not in 2 years and penning is big time raw…that being said, as bad as he was in preseason game #1 and the fact that his coach was pissed about his behavior in training camp and even said so in a press conference and even had to suspend him from practice for a day…even after all of that, I still came on here when people started saying, “SEE, he’s going to be a bust!” And I said, not so fast he can still become something and the kid has great tools to work with if he can get his focus and technique right…so that difference from week one to week two, the way he was WAAAAY more composed and played within himself, still got beat a few times, BUT his improvement from one week to the next was impressive, IMPRESSIVE!….the coaches in NO deserve a ton of credit…and trevor was playing against the packers, right? It’s not like the packers don’t have good pass rushers, that defense is stacked and has great depth too…the kid held his own and didn’t commit stupid penalties…

Comment

• Shock&Awe
                      Great White North
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I will say this about trevor penning…I was one of the people that didn’t want us to draft him, but not because I thought he’d be a bust, I thought this team needs help now not in 2 years and penning is big time raw…that being said, as bad as he was in preseason game #1 and the fact that his coach was pissed about his behavior in training camp and even said so in a press conference and even had to suspend him from practice for a day…even after all of that, I still came on here when people started saying, “SEE, he’s going to be a bust!” And I said, not so fast he can still become something and the kid has great tools to work with if he can get his focus and technique right…so that difference from week one to week two, the way he was WAAAAY more composed and played within himself, still got beat a few times, BUT his improvement from one week to the next was impressive, IMPRESSIVE!….the coaches in NO deserve a ton of credit…and trevor was playing against the packers, right? It’s not like the packers don’t have good pass rushers, that defense is stacked and has great depth too…the kid held his own and didn’t commit stupid penalties…
                      Yeah he went against Green Bay, the jump from week one to week two was big. I wouldn’t be surprised if a few of the vets on that line pulled him aside after that first game and said focus up, don’t get involved in all those extracurriculars and just focus on you for the time being. The raw talent is there, he just has to reign in that hyena in him.

He’s also the highest graded first rounder so far this preseason per PFF. So the fact he’s standing out already with all the ups and downs is pretty nuts.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Shock&Awe View Post

Yeah he went against Green Bay, the jump from week one to week two was big. I wouldn’t be surprised if a few of the vets on that line pulled him aside after that first game and said focus up, don’t get involved in all those extracurriculars and just focus on you for the time being. The raw talent is there, he just has to reign in that hyena in him.

He’s also the highest graded first rounder so far this preseason per PFF. So the fact he’s standing out already with all the ups and downs is pretty nuts.
                        Yeah, it’s not typical for a kid like this, totally raw and from lower competition, to improve that much in the span of 7 days while facing perhaps even better competition. I’m not saying he’s herbert, but who could’ve predicted what herbert did in 2020 with no OTAs, modified training camo, and no preseason? If penning continues developing at that rate and somehow becomes a competent tackle during the course of this 2022, it’ll completely blow away any expectations I had, I still thought he could become a player but I thought he would be a two year project minimum…

Comment

Working...
                        X