• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Then there’s guys like ekeler that make ladainian tomlinson look huge…don’t get me started on darren sproles, LOL…my wife was shocked he was playing in the NFL,…all the way home after taking pics with sproles at training camp practice she was saying, “I can’t believe he was shorter than me!”:LOL:
    At his height, Sproles had a significant center-of-gravity advantage over defenders, in the same way that Mugsy Bogues had a center-of-gravity advantage over HIS opponents. Anyone taller than 5'10" had to stoop down-- losing their center of gravity-- to cover the 5'4" Bogues, and as soon as THAT happened, Bouges was past them in a flash.

Sproles, likewise had the c-o-g advantage, along with punt returner moves. It's how a totally undersized (for the NFL) guy survives in the league for as long as Sproles did!

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Then there’s guys like ekeler that make ladainian tomlinson look huge…don’t get me started on darren sproles, LOL…my wife was shocked he was playing in the NFL,…all the way home after taking pics with sproles at training camp practice she was saying, “I can’t believe he was shorter than me!”:LOL:
      Ekeler is only 5 foot 7.5 inches tall. He's listed as 5 foot 9 or 5 foot 10 in various places. But his Pro Day height was 5 foot 7.5 inches. LT is 5-10. When LT was interviewing Ekeler, LT was 2-3 inches taller than Ekeler. It was plain to see. I don't care how tall or not tall Ekeler is. The guy is a stud, a hard worker, and the mental fortitude of a giant.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Ekeler is only 5 foot 7.5 inches tall. He's listed as 5 foot 9 or 5 foot 10 in various places. But his Pro Day height was 5 foot 7.5 inches. LT is 5-10. When LT was interviewing Ekeler, LT was 2-3 inches taller than Ekeler. It was plain to see. I don't care how tall or not tall Ekeler is. The guy is a stud, a hard worker, and the mental fortitude of a giant.
        As with Sproles, to some extent Ekeler's lack-of-height makes him THAT much more elusive. At 5- 7.5 he's almost certainly more mobile than if he were 5-10.

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

At his height, Sproles had a significant center-of-gravity advantage over defenders, in the same way that Mugsy Bogues had a center-of-gravity advantage over HIS opponents. Anyone taller than 5'10" had to stoop down-- losing their center of gravity-- to cover the 5'4" Bogues, and as soon as THAT happened, Bouges was past them in a flash.

Sproles, likewise had the c-o-g advantage, along with punt returner moves. It's how a totally undersized (for the NFL) guy survives in the league for as long as Sproles did!
          I’m shocked there’s teams with players taller than 5’4”. Would a team with 4’5” players have an even bigger advantage?

Comment

• kgbpasha
            #болтап
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

I’m shocked there’s teams with players taller than 5’4”. Would a team with 4’5” players have an even bigger advantage?
            http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...da-high-school

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

my point was he was saying the toreros highlights they all looked like pop warner kids playing football or somehting. A guy like bandy might be small but what matters most is what he’s made of. We’ve all met smaller guys that could out lift out jump and whatever taller guys, muscle density, bone density, quick twitch whatever, it comes in small packages too. And I’m a shade under 6 foot when I took pictures with LT it felt to me like he was closer to 5’8” maybe 5’9” barry sanders was even smaller…sproles was tiny, I’d say around 5’4” tops but maybe smaller…but it doesn’t matter if they have the toughness and the rest of the physical attributes required to take those types of beatings and keep on going thru all the pain and everything else…when I think of guys like wayne crebet, wes welker, woodhead, edelman, doug flutie etc…on and on…there have been so many…we had little train james (RIP) back in the day, they can make it and thrive in the NFL, aaron donald is a smaller guy that plays like a 6’5” 330 pound monster and he’ll go down as one of the all time greatest…it’s the motor ombined with physical attributes and off the charts toughness but these guys are definitely able to overcome their size limitations (assuming it’s even a limitation for them) and excel in the NFL if given the chance to prove themselves…I think bandy could be one of those guys…we’ll see…
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

my point was he was saying the toreros highlights they all looked like pop warner kids playing football or somehting. A guy like bandy might be small but what matters most is what he’s made of. We’ve all met smaller guys that could out lift out jump and whatever taller guys, muscle density, bone density, quick twitch whatever, it comes in small packages too. And I’m a shade under 6 foot when I took pictures with LT it felt to me like he was closer to 5’8” maybe 5’9” barry sanders was even smaller…sproles was tiny, I’d say around 5’4” tops but maybe smaller…but it doesn’t matter if they have the toughness and the rest of the physical attributes required to take those types of beatings and keep on going thru all the pain and everything else…when I think of guys like wayne crebet, wes welker, woodhead, edelman, doug flutie etc…on and on…there have been so many…we had little train james (RIP) back in the day, they can make it and thrive in the NFL, aaron donald is a smaller guy that plays like a 6’5” 330 pound monster and he’ll go down as one of the all time greatest…it’s the motor ombined with physical attributes and off the charts toughness but these guys are definitely able to overcome their size limitations (assuming it’s even a limitation for them) and excel in the NFL if given the chance to prove themselves…I think bandy could be one of those guys…we’ll see…
                Ekeler is a special person. He's smart, well-spoken, wise and extremely self-motivated. If you ever listen to his interviews, he always has something intelligent to say. I follow him on Instagram. He's under contract for two more seasons at about $6 mil per. He'll be 28-29 when his contract expires. I hope he remains a Charger and retires a Charger.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Utah
                  • Midnight Toker
                  • Send PM

Minshew was drafted 12 spots after Stick in the 2019 draft. Yeah, Minshew would be an ideal back up. Minshew got drafted into a situation where he got pressed into starting almost immediately. He was the only backup behind Nick Foles in Jax, and when Foles fractured his clavicle Minshew was suddenly the starting QB. He's been decent in his career, a 93.8 passer rating and a 41-12 TD to INT ratio. I wonder how well Stick would have played if pressed into a similar situation as a rookie. It's not really possible to evaluate Stick; he's been stuck at 3rd on the depth chart behind two starting QBs who've been very durable (knock on wood) and he's not had any playing time. I thought he looked pretty good v. the Rams though, especially running the 2-min offense at the end of the game. What was Telesco thinking when he drafted Stick anyway?
                  He took a flyer because of his outstanding college record. 3 total losses at any level deserves a good look. The Wentz sensation was still hot and he figured if he could scoop up a QB that shattered all of Wentz's records then why not. I still am fine with the pick. He a good character guy. Again why is everyone so down on a backup QB? That's really strange to me. Again the coaching staff gets to see him run the scout team and running with the 2's and 3's. I think if he wasn't decent they would have cut him by now. There's a reason he's on the roster.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

He took a flyer because of his outstanding college record. 3 total losses at any level deserves a good look. The Wentz sensation was still hot and he figured if he could scoop up a QB that shattered all of Wentz's records then why not. I still am fine with the pick. He a good character guy. Again why is everyone so down on a backup QB? That's really strange to me. Again the coaching staff gets to see him run the scout team and running with the 2's and 3's. I think if he wasn't decent they would have cut him by now. There's a reason he's on the roster.

I'm not bashing Stickman, I really like him. I just don't know that the plan was when they drafted him. To eventually replace Rivers? They had signed Tyrod Taylor in March to back up and possibly succeed Rivers. Then they drafted Stick the next month. Maybe Lynn was thinking Tyrod was going to replace Rivers and that Stick would be groomed as TT's back up and eventual successor? They probably weren't expecting the Chargers to suck so bad in 2019, after they had won 12 games in 2018. And when the team was in position to draft one of the top QBs in the 2020 class, plans changed. They couldn't pass up the opportunity to get Herbert or Tua. Then Tyrod cracked his ribs in the 1st game of the 2020 season and a doctor punctured his lung minutes before game 2 and Herbert went in played lights out, and every thing changed. The fact that Stick is still on the roster is a testament to how much Telesco and this coaching staff like him and want to keep him around. That is assuming he makes the opening day roster.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Ekeler is a special person. He's smart, well-spoken, wise and extremely self-motivated. If you ever listen to his interviews, he always has something intelligent to say. I follow him on Instagram. He's under contract for two more seasons at about $6 mil per. He'll be 28-29 when his contract expires. I hope he remains a Charger and retires a Charger.
                      one of the things ekeler has said in interviews that I absolutely love is “there are things OUTSIDE of football that define me as a success first and then football” meaning he measures himself as a human being first, how good of a person he is FIRST then the football, it’s really nice to see a young man with that type of depth and maturity, it’s not very common. I didn’t come around to thinking like that until I was 30-31 but I least I got there and it took drug addiction and almost losing my life to get there…
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

one of the things ekeler has said in interviews that I absolutely love is “there are things OUTSIDE of football that define me as a success first and then football” meaning he measures himself as a human being first, how good of a person he is FIRST then the football, it’s really nice to see a young man with that type of depth and maturity, it’s not very common. I didn’t come around to thinking like that until I was 30-31 but I least I got there and it took drug addiction and almost losing my life to get there…
                        agree...Ekler is far more than a great athlete. He is a great person.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                          I'll take Bandy over Reed right now
                          Bandy looks like the better pure WR and that's what we need more to support the offense.
                          Give Herbert a variety of traditional WR pieces, in his case a classic slot guy with sneaky seperation skills.

VS Reed, more of a tweener. With Herbert at QB, we don't have to take risks on tweeners that might hopefully become a mismatch.
                          Allen, Williams, Palmer, Guyton, Carter and Bandy
                          give you all you can ask of a pro wr corp.
                          Now we should post Reeds highlights which arent from the Pioneer league lol.

Reed isnt really a tweener, its just he has the size to do the Deebo role and he did have some carries in college on top of being a KR but doubt we do the copy cat thing.

Me, i think Reed is the better player. And even if he is a teeener, nobody has a problem splitting Ekeler out in the slot so what does it matter anyways?
                          Last edited by Boltjolt; 08-16-2022, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X