• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Teams scored an average 23 points per game in 2021. The Chargers on average scored 27.9 points per game - 5th best. The defense gave up on average 27 points per game - tied for Atlanta for 3rd worst.
    We were above avg scoring 12 games, allowed above avg scores against us 11 games.
    We were clearly an offensive team. With an avg D / STs, the numbers indicate a 12-5 season. It would have been different.

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

We were above avg scoring 12 games, allowed above avg scores against us 11 games.
      We were clearly an offensive team. With an avg D / STs, the numbers indicate a 12-5 season. It would have been different.
      I like to think with a better D, some of those high scoring Ls would be Ws, yes. Let ‘em play.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

This is my contention too. With just an average D, the Chargers would’ve been in the playoffs, because the offense in 2021 was not just playoff caliber, it was Super Bowl caliber. The offense was in no way to blame for the Chargers missing the playoffs. And watching Herbert hang his head in disappointment after the defense failed to make a stop v the Raiders, after all he had done to bring the team back in the 4th Q, was sickening.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Teams scored an average 23 points per game in 2021. The Chargers on average scored 27.9 points per game - 5th best. The defense gave up on average 27 points per game - tied for Atlanta for 3rd worst.
          5th best, yet 9-8. Hmm, maybe the O and D ranking by points is misleading, as a lot of points scored against us were in games we scored a lot of points in - but lost.

Until we actually make the playoffs, I don’t feel I can say either group are playoff caliber. Gotta win games that matter, especially close ones.

Comment

• equivocation
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2021
            • Send PM

I'm too old for this shit.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

5th best, yet 9-8. Hmm, maybe the O and D ranking by points is misleading, as a lot of points scored against us were in games we scored a lot of points in - but lost.

Until we actually make the playoffs, I don’t feel I can say either group are playoff caliber. Gotta win games that matter, especially close ones.
              You can't be serious. The Chargers' offense scored more points per game than either team in the Super Bowl, but you still say the offense is not playoff caliber?

Comment

• eaterfan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

This is just results based evaluation. This logic means the Rams don't have any holes or any room for improvement this off-season. All of their units are Superbowl championship level. Not only that, any change to the roster is a downgrade because they are removing a Superbowl championship caliber player and replacing him with one who isn't...

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Every team always needs to get better, at ALL facets of the game. Our D was 90% trash last season, ST at best 50/50, our O was 90% optimal. No squad should not improve. No one barking about how good our O was seems to have a problem with dropping a first round pick in a OG, spending $$$ on the TE position, and drafting competition for RB2 - all positions everybody here seems to identify as weak spots for us last season. Yet suggest the O, that DID gave those issues (plus unheard of WR drops…), was at all at fault in any loss causes conniption fits.

Cant gave it both ways, my dudes. Just be glad Staley ain’t returning the extract same O.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

This is my contention too. With just an average D, the Chargers would’ve been in the playoffs, because the offense in 2021 was not just playoff caliber, it was Super Bowl caliber. The offense was in no way to blame for the Chargers missing the playoffs. And watching Herbert hang his head in disappointment after the defense failed to make a stop v the Raiders, after all he had done to bring the team back in the 4th Q, was sickening.
                    This year's offense potentially is better with the new additions, certain players coming on, and a 2nd year to congeal together.
                    Probably good enough to take last year's team to the playoffs.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

I like to think with a better D, some of those high scoring Ls would be Ws, yes. Let ‘em play.
                      It could have changed a low scoring game or 2. Makes stops, get takeaways, give the ball to Herbert and it could have been a lot different.
                      Change anything and it becomes a different game.
                      What happened is history. It's a good bet that we'll be a tough out in '22.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

This year's offense potentially is better with the new additions, certain players coming on, and a 2nd year to congeal together.
                        Probably good enough to take last year's team to the playoffs.
                        Agree 100 percent. I will not be surprised if the offense is the league's best in 2022.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Every team always needs to get better, at ALL facets of the game. Our D was 90% trash last season, ST at best 50/50, our O was 90% optimal. No squad should not improve. No one barking about how good our O was seems to have a problem with dropping a first round pick in a OG, spending $$$ on the TE position, and drafting competition for RB2 - all positions everybody here seems to identify as weak spots for us last season. Yet suggest the O, that DID gave those issues (plus unheard of WR drops…), was at all at fault in any loss causes conniption fits.

Cant gave it both ways, my dudes. Just be glad Staley ain’t returning the extract same O.
                          Not when you trade for Mack, sign JC, and sign two DTs and a nickel CB.
                          I mean cMon man, we didn't spend big money on Everette and Spiller was a 4th round pick.
                          Did we not need another RB or were you fine with Kelly and Roundtree?

Defense needed a big overhaul and the O just needing refining and that's what they did.

Comment

Working...
                          X