X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I remember Reed in preseason, there’s a reason he wasn’t getting a lot of opportunities in the regular season. He wasn’t that impressive. Of course he can improve, all young players can improve. I’ll be delighted to see him become a professional WR. I just don’t get the hysterical calls for him to be given tries. Why him?

Chargers carried 6 WRs under Lynn and previously, but they didn’t under Staley. Staley is the coach. Last year’s offense was better than the year before. Demanding Staley must carry 6 WRs on the roster for the offense to operate is de facto proven false. If there is 6 WRs on the roster, odds are close to certain that #6 is inactive on game day anyway. If WR6 is on the 53 roster and inactive or on the PS, its kind of the same except for him and his pay. I’m agnostic on it.

The Huntley thing is another example of his shoot-from-hip inability to synthesize all information. Its not just he wants Huntley, its that he wants Huntley BECAUSE he is a completely different style and skill set than Herbert. But why do we have QB2? To run a couple trick plays per week?

No - we need QB2 to be able to jog in off the sideline after any play at any time in any game throughout the season and continue to execute the offensive game plan installed that week for Herbert without missing a beat. Coaches do not install two different offenses in a year, much less prepare the team to execute two different schemes every week. It is not just a bad idea, its insane. If, pray never, we needed QB2 to go in, with CC we’ll have a QB that can’t execute our offense.

he thinks thats a genius move as he’s going to fool defenses with that. Lol.
    Man, you are just not getting a single word I have written.

Nobody has demanded that Staley keep 6 WRs on the roster. So let's try this again. If a 6th WR such as Reed shows well in the preseason, Staley could keep a 6th WR and it would not be unusual as pretty much all of HCs in recent memory (at least back to Marty) kept 6 except Staley last year. Also, we have cuttable players at QB to make room for a 6th WR.

And you do not seem to understand NFL playbooks at all. The playbook is large enough to encompass different QB styles within the same playbook. And few QBs have a game similar to Herbert. Also, you are undervaluing Huntley. The guy has a whopping 4 NFL starts. He has NFL arm talent (much more so than Taysom Hill), is adept at off schedule plays, and can run with the ball. His traits are across the board better than either Daniel's or Stick's.

Further, your "the offense will not know what to do" discussion is absurd. You could call the exact same plays as were called for Herbert and Huntley probably would be able to move the team. That said, assuming Lombardi is not a complete moron, if his backup is on the field, Lombardi will know which plays from the playbook his backup runs best and will call more of those plays than the plays that Herbert runs best. I would not expect as many fastballs thrown to the sideline or for the ball to come out as frequently on time, but I would expect Huntley to make some plays with a combination of his legs and then his arm and also just his legs.

If a player like Huntley ever had to come in for Herbert, defenses could easily be thrown off as a player like Huntley is much more likely to get outside the pocket and run with the ball than Herbert is to do that. That, of course, is exactly what we would want to happen if Herbert ever did get injured--for the defense to be thrown off and therefore less effective. What we do not want is a less effective backup that cannot throw something new and different at the opponent.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post
      This is what makes CC such a fascinating read. You can go from one thread where he says Palmer is garbage and can’t possibly get any better, then come to another thread where he’s suggesting Reed has the potential to be the next Deebo Samuel. I’m sure I’m missing something…and I’m sure he’ll let me know where I’m wrong, but this seems like a total contradiction.
      What I said in response to a poster that suggested that Guyton could be like Deebo Samuel was that the player whose traits most closely resembled Samuel is Joe Reed. Both are 6 feet tall. Both are thicker WRs (better for the extra contact that a RB takes) with Samuel weighing 216 pounds and Reed weighing 224 pounds. Samuel runs a 4.48 40. Reed runs a 4.47 40. Both players have moves.

IMO, Reed's lack of great success as a return man does not have to do with his moves, which are good, but rather with how he catches kicked footballs as his high catching technique seems to cause him to have to gather himself for a split second before running with the ball. But the running ability itself is pretty good--pretty fast, pretty shifty. I would not say elite at either, but a little above average at both.

I do not know if Reed could ever be anything like Samuel, but in a copycat league, Reed is the guy on our roster that I would be looking at for that type of role.

Also, what I have said about Palmer is that he lacks any elite traits to build from and that will limit him as a player. I think he can improve, but he is not suddenly going to be as good as Tyrell Williams was for us. Absent the injuries he suffered, Williams was on his way to being a solid WR1 as he had size, speed and leaping ability that he could take advantage of once he learned how to be a WR in the NFL. Tyrell Williams was a player that clearly had the untapped potential. Palmer does not have elite traits, which is why I keep asking everyone, "How does Palmer win in his matchups?" If we were discussing Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Vincent Jackson or Tyrell Williams, we could easily answer that question.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I am with you on this. Retreads are expensive and ineffective. I would like cheap and athletically gifted. And to be clear, the QB does not have to be Huntley and only Huntley. It could be a similar player. A third QB as pocket passer would be fine as well. And I 100% agree that our present backups are not going to do anything for us unless we are lucky enough to be playing an NFL worst type team in the week in question.
        And our defense (or special teams) scores too . . . . .

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

You aren't remembering right is all. He didn't play last season and got an injury in TC and then had surgery.

Why him? Well I know CC never saw him play in college so for me, he is a big body WR with speed.
          He returned kicks in college and was good at it. Our STs stink under Lynn so I'm not writing him off from that based on that and he can do other things. He ran the ball a handful of times as a rookie.

Can he be Deebo? I don't know about that.

He can run the ball demonstated by returning kicks but didn't do it a lot in college. Had 1 season with 21 carries and a career of 34. So we'll see what they do with him.

Just someone I'm not writing off and I don't see Carter as anything special to call him a lock with a vet minimum 1 year deal that would cost us 100K to cut him.

As for Huntley, yeah we aren't bringing him in to be a 196 lb Taysom Hill lol. Arguing he has a lower INT rate than Herbert is a laugher as well. 5 game sample with little tape on him.
          CC likes to use these miniscule stats that mean nothing for a argument.
          So OK, Herbert's INT rate last year was 2.2, Huntley was 2.1.

Herbert has thrown 1267 career passes and his INT rate is 2.
          Huntley has 190 career passes and his INT rate is still 2.1, so technically, he is wrong,.... career wise.

Last year a big .1% difference with Herbert throwing 500 more passes.

Or you can turn it into a negative and say Huntley INT rate is higher than his TD pass %. He only had 3 TD passes and 4 INTs
          Im remembering Reed from 2020. I know he didn’t play last year. Lets see, I’ll keep an open mind and be delighted if he’s progressed. The more improved players the better, i have nothing against im. He has a bit of speed, some size. He can back up as a returner, he did ok there, nothing eye popping. If he tackles on ST, he’s got a roster spot.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Im remembering Reed from 2020. I know he didn’t play last year. Lets see, I’ll keep an open mind and be delighted if he’s progressed. The more improved players the better, i have nothing against im. He has a bit of speed, some size. He can back up as a returner, he did ok there, nothing eye popping. If he tackles on ST, he’s got a roster spot.
            That is fair. I do not think we will keep him because I think Staley wants to keep 5 WRs and 3 QBs and although Reed has some potential, I do not see an immediate breakout happening for him, especially when his reps will be limited by our top 5 guys at WR. If Reed or another WR or even a player at another position plays well, I will not like it if/when keep 3 QBs, though, two of which are pretty much useless.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Let them all compete!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

That is fair. I do not think we will keep him because I think Staley wants to keep 5 WRs and 3 QBs and although Reed has some potential, I do not see an immediate breakout happening for him, especially when his reps will be limited by our top 5 guys at WR. If Reed or another WR or even a player at another position plays well, I will not like it if/when keep 3 QBs, though, two of which are pretty much useless.
                Makes sense. I think if he drops a jaw or two in PS games either as alternate returner or receiving … or heck, lets seem him be the Deebo … he could claim a spot. Otherwise - practice squad again.

I think NFL teams should have to pay the protected PS guys more, to be honest. If teams can prevent another team grabbing them, they should pay the kids for it.

Stick (based on limited sample) made a huge jump from rookie PS to last year. Interested to see if he capped out or grows more. Daniel does nothing for me. Absolutely nothing. He’s got the career survivability of clipboard Jesus for some invisible reason i cannot see.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

From first day:

• Rookie cornerback Deane Leonard had the play of the day in the secondary. Playing against Daniel and the second-team offense, Leonard was matched up on the outside with Jalen Guyton. Daniel saw the one-on-one matchup with the speedy Guyton and lofted a throw down the sideline. Leonard, though, was in prime position. He matched Guyton step for step, turned for the ball, and knocked it away for a pass breakup. Leonard was a standout in OTAs and is continuing to make plays.

Ouch, Mr. Elite! Schooled by a late round pick rookie, not a good beginning to 2022.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                    From first day:

• Rookie cornerback Deane Leonard had the play of the day in the secondary. Playing against Daniel and the second-team offense, Leonard was matched up on the outside with Jalen Guyton. Daniel saw the one-on-one matchup with the speedy Guyton and lofted a throw down the sideline. Leonard, though, was in prime position. He matched Guyton step for step, turned for the ball, and knocked it away for a pass breakup. Leonard was a standout in OTAs and is continuing to make plays.

Ouch, Mr. Elite! Schooled by a late round pick rookie, not a good beginning to 2022.
                    Lol. I swear i wasn’t going to copy/paste the exact same thing. No, I’ve matured alot over the last day. Well, half-day. I should be sent to Cabo to truly learn my lesson though.

Comment

• equivocation
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2021
                      • Send PM

Guyton can be neutralized on the boundary with inside leverage and physical play. He lacks the physicality to attack the ball or alter the catch point. He's better in space. But I repeat myself.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Lol. I swear i wasn’t going to copy/paste the exact same thing. No, I’ve matured alot over the last day. Well, half-day. I should be sent to Cabo to truly learn my lesson though.
                        Why is it a bad thing to notice the obvious? Is what it is.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

What I really hope is that defense makes a bunch of plays one day, then the offense rally's and makes them another. Defenses usually start camp ahead of the offense, then the offenses rally. But that is what competition is all about. Football games aren't won on paper.

Comment

Working...
                          X