Improving the WR Corps (Mike Williams Signs - 3 Years 60M)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

It got hostile, so I closed it. I don't think Mike needs his own thread, but if you want to go back to his draft thread, its still available.
    OK, I didn't know it got hostile. You did the right thing to close it.

Comment

• UtahBolt
      Did we win?
      • Jun 2013
      • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
      • Send PM

Great move. In a league that is increasingly becoming more offensive minded, hard to let a 1000+ yard WR walk out your door. Especially when the cornerstone of your franchise, the foundation of the offensive influence wanted him back.
      I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Send PM

Hebert will be going into this third season with the three top receivers from his first two record-breaking seasons intact. Mike, Keenan, Austin. And with an emerging Josh Palmer going into his 2nd season and Guyton going into his third with Herbert as well. This is going to pay huge dividends. Just upgrade at RT and at backup RB and the offense is set. The team now spend the bulk of its cap space and draft resources on upgrading the defense.

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Hebert will be going into this third season with the three top receivers from his first two record-breaking seasons intact. Mike, Keenan, Austin. And with an emerging Josh Palmer going into his 2nd season and Guyton going into his third with Herbert as well. This is going to pay huge dividends. Just upgrade at RT and at backup RB and the offense is set. The team now spend the bulk of its cap space and draft resources on upgrading the defense.
          We need a TE too!

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

We need a TE too!
            Your're right. Forgot about that.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
              Oline-Tip of the Spear...
              • Feb 2019
              • McLean Illinois
              • Pipefitter Illinois State University
              • Send PM

A little steep, but Im glad its done...he has the talent to play up to the contract...lets see what happens.
              Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I hate it when a team has to use a tender or FT on a real good player, it just means there isn't enough money in the deal to make the player happy. I was sure that Mike was going to get tagged because a long contract was a risk because of his availability issues. 3 yrs is a good compromise, Mike gets a life-changing deal, Chargers kept a good player, and can manage the cap, and Herbert is happy. Also glad that his agent didn't negotiate in public.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                  I hate it when a team has to use a tender or FT on a real good player, it just means there isn't enough money in the deal to make the player happy. I was sure that Mike was going to get tagged because a long contract was a risk because of his availability issues. 3 yrs is a good compromise, Mike gets a life-changing deal, Chargers kept a good player, and can manage the cap, and Herbert is happy. Also glad that his agent didn't negotiate in public.
                  Its the best of both worlds. Mike Williams gets paid and the Chargers get the cap flexibility they need this year.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
                    I am now seeing that Mike Williams was just re-signed on a 3 year, $60M deal that includes $28M in the first year. If so, there goes half of our salary cap space.
                    That doesn’t mean his cap hit this year will be that amount though.

This is what Popper believes:

Based on the contract numbers, I would expect Williams’ 2022 cap hit to be around $10 million, give or take. That is well below the franchise-tag cap hit of $18.419 million, and those added savings this season were certainly a factor in the Chargers getting this extension done.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

That makes sense. As other teams have shown - push cash out where you can - especially if the NFL salary cap goes up in 2023 and beyond.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
                        That makes sense. As other teams have shown - push cash out where you can - especially if the NFL salary cap goes up in 2023 and beyond.
                        We’ll also have salary cap relief if Keenan leaves or gets cut.

Edit: you also don’t want to do this cap pushing for older players. It’s why I think the Arod deal was a mistake.

Comment

• Rugger05
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

It is a solid deal for all sides. There was no way the Chargers were going to let Williams leave, and having to franchise him at 18 million would of hampered them to sign other players. I expect Nwoso to be signed next, followed by Jones. For some reason I see them moving on from White. I think TT is still gun shy after diving Donald Butler that horrendous contract

Comment

Working...
                          X