• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

And where do you think the re-structure and/or extension money goes...? Play around with the Over The Cap website to find out.

Cut Feiler, Re-structure Bosa, Re-structure Keenan, extend Davis... Your cap goes from -$8.75 million to $21.9 million in 2023.
    BUT... your 2024 cap goes from $47.3 million down to $30.8 million. Herbert will get $30+ million his 5th-year option in 2024 (and more than that in 2025).
    Do you like Pipkins more than you like Slater...? Slater's 5th year option will cost you $20+ million in 2025.

Meanwhile, you're paying an average performing RT $8.5 million per year... when you could draft a better RT this draft and pay him 1/3 that amount.
    You know what $8.5 million bought us this off-season...? Kyle Van Noy, Bryce Callahan, Morgan Fox, and Gerald Everett...

Put away the checkers and break out the chess pieces.
    I so hate to not retain an avg RT when TT struggled his entire career to find one.
    You may see them under every rock. but it hasn't been Telesco's strong suit.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Might I suggest Cody Mauch in the 2nd round...?

OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
        I so hate to not retain an avg RT when TT struggled his entire career to find one.
        You may see them under every rock. but it hasn't been Telesco's strong suit.
        TT found Slater... he also found Salyer.
        OLineCentric

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Built-in board! https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...id=86995802712
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Bulletin board... Duckin autocorrect!
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

TT found Slater... he also found Salyer.
              Which one is a starting RT? I don't doubt that either could play there, Slater very well, Salyer in a pinch. His range vs speed isn't good. Meanwhile Pip is his career best RT.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Which one is a starting RT? I don't doubt that either could play there, Slater very well, Salyer in a pinch. His range vs speed isn't good. Meanwhile Pip is his career best RT.
                Both are starting OT's. If you feel anxious about Salyer, draft a RT in the 2nd.
                Pip might be @ HIS career best... but that was a pretty low bar.
                Salyer was already better... as a rookie.
                Save your money for Herbie's and Slater's contracts... go get a better/cheaper RT (or LG if you believe Salyer is your future RT).

People are focusing on Pipkins... when they should be focusing 2 or 3 years down the road (Herbie/Slater).

I get it... people are finally excited that Pipkins isn't tripping on his own feet... or getting tossed around like a rag-doll.
                But we can do better. Hell, we already did (with Salyer).

With Lombo's quick hit offense... do we even need an All-Pro RT...? I know we certainly shouldn't be paying $8+ for one...
                OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Rashan Slater, Jamaree Salyer, Corey Linsley, Zion Johnson, Cody Mauch...? Hell yeah!
                  Rashan Slater, Jarrett Patterson, Corey Linsley, Zion Johnson, Samaree Salyer...? Hell yeah!

Shit Jarrett Patterson could transition to center once Linsley retires...
                  There are so many better options than re-signing Trey Pipkins...
                  OLineCentric

Comment

• cmplxgal
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • New Jersey
                    • Send PM

Sorry if this news was already posted, as it came out yesterday, but I'm just seeing it now:

Chargers OL Zion Johnson named to PFF's 2022 NFL All-Rookie Team

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/20...-zion-johnson/

Gavino Borquez
                    January 10, 2023 7:19 pm PT

​The Chargers’ year is not over, as they are set to go toe-to-toe with the Jaguars in a playoff matchup on Saturday night.

But players are starting to be recognized for their efforts during the regular season, and among them is rookie Zion Johnson.

Pro Football Focus released its 2022 NFL All-Rookie Team, and Johnson made the cut.

Johnson didn’t quite live up to his NFL-ready billing as much as the Chargers would have hoped, but he was still easily the NFL’s best rookie starter at guard. He finished with a 64.8 overall grade, although that was mainly down to his performance as a run-blocker, as he allowed 40 pressures on the year.

Selected No. 17 overall out of Boston College in the 2022 NFL draft, Johnson was thrown into the fire in his first season, filling in as the team’s starting right guard from the get-go.

He appeared in every game, playing 100% of the offensive snaps, except for Week 11 against the Raiders when he came off the field for 11% of the snaps due to a shoulder issue that he experienced.

Johnson experienced rookie growing pains, particularly in pass protection, as he was tasked to go up against elite competition. However, he was steadily strong as a run blocker alongside Trey Pipkins.

With another full offseason to work on his game, Johnson could grow into a good player at the position for years to come.

The whole team:

Comment

• cmplxgal
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • New Jersey
                      • Send PM

Scott had the best hangtime in the league this season, although his punts are shorter than the league average:

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

And where do you think the re-structure and/or extension money goes...? Play around with the Over The Cap website to find out.

Cut Feiler, Re-structure Bosa, Re-structure Keenan, extend Davis... Your cap goes from -$8.75 million to $21.9 million in 2023.
                        BUT... your 2024 cap goes from $47.3 million down to $30.8 million. Herbert will get $30+ million his 5th-year option in 2024 (and more than that in 2025).
                        Do you like Pipkins more than you like Slater...? Slater's 5th year option will cost you $20+ million in 2025.

Meanwhile, you're paying an average performing RT $8.5 million per year... when you could draft a better RT this draft and pay him 1/3 that amount.
                        You know what $8.5 million bought us this off-season...? Kyle Van Noy, Bryce Callahan, Morgan Fox, and Gerald Everett...

Put away the checkers and break out the chess pieces.
                        It really bothers me that the chargers are probably going to do exactly what you are suggesting…but to me it’s absolutely nuts to put in all that time to develop a player that is still ascending and then let him walk right out the door precisely when he has finally begun to earn his keep on the roster…we all know the draft is a fucking crapshoot…how many years of drafting linemen that didn’t pan out? Have we already forgotten that just because they hit on slater and johnson the last two years? Who can say if they’ll hit on the next guy? No me, I know all too well that the next lamp could be right around the corner…why would they even chance it when we know damn well the grass isn’t always greener?

I get it, I was a hardcore pipkins critic too, but you have to appreciate the growth and you have to move past three years of disappointment and not undervalue the guy, I know it’s hard to but if I can do it, anyone can! It’s not unusual for O-linemen to take several years to develop and pipkins plays tackle and for whatever reason tackles tend to have much longer careers, the best is still ahead for him and the guy doesn’t have a lot of wear and tear either…I necome fond of him because he suffered a nasty knee injury when he got rolled up against the browns(?) and he’s battled thru it and proven that even when playing with a flat tire he’s still waaaay better than anyone else on this roster…he’s earned my respect this year for playing thru all that, he’s a tough bastard and a bulldozer in the run game, plus his pass pro has improved dramatically and he’s still improving his technique…

IMO, he’s the best RT in the AFC west (at the present time) and he still hasn’t maxed out his potential, it would not surprise me to see pipkins in the probowl in the next couple of seasons, look at his competition in the AFC, go division by division and you’ll see how hard it is to find “above avg linemen” just look at the playoff teams in the AFC this year, can you find 3 better RTs than trey pipkins amongst that group? If you can’t find three better than him that means he’s slightly ABOVE average in the bunch, I guarantee you the chiefs would not hesitate to upgrade their RT spot with pipkins and they’re considered one of the best most complete teams in the NFL!

for a lot of folks on here, I’m afraid pipkins is going to be one of those “didn’t know what I had until it was gone” deals…but to me it’s clear as day right now that this team can’t afford to let him walk, not if they are serious about building a perennial contender…with all the turmoil we’ve had at RT for a very long time now, it surprises the shit outta me that folks are so dismissive with that “we can do better nonsense” it just blows my mind how quickly people forget…
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Rashan Slater, Jamaree Salyer, Corey Linsley, Zion Johnson, Cody Mauch...? Hell yeah!
                          Rashan Slater, Jarrett Patterson, Corey Linsley, Zion Johnson, Samaree Salyer...? Hell yeah!

Shit Jarrett Patterson could transition to center once Linsley retires...
                          There are so many better options than re-signing Trey Pipkins...
                          So just roll the dice with unproven guys? That’s your chess? Your strategy is a perpetual revolving door of starting rookies on the O-line, justin herbert might be getting sick and tired of that shit, don’t you think? You can’t really want rookies up front continually and never pay guys? You can never have depth like that NEVER…

Even if you could guarantee that the chargers can get at least one of your guys (which you can’t), you could never guarantee how those college kids will project into the NFL especially as year one starters, I’ll take pipkins over a “roll of the dice” rookie…I know he’s good enough to compete with right now and he has acquired the experience, knows the offense, and has already built rapport with my RG…

I’d rather we hit the ground running 2023 with slater and pipkins and with the knowledge that if either of them miss some time we have salyer who can do a respectable job filling in for either of them if needed…THAT’s how you create depth…I still draft another lineman in the top 3 rounds regardless because other than sarrell we have nothing beyond slater, salyer, linsley, johnson, and pipkins…and let’s be honest, while I still think sarrell has potential him being our swing tackle doesn’t sound like a very good plan to me…
                          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

Working...
                          X