• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    IMO, Salyer has earned a shot to perform at RT. He did better in his 1st year than Pip did in his 4th year. He'll only improve. OT's are hard to find. Don't look this gift-horse in the mouth.

The OG position is much deeper than the OT position this draft. You can get a good one in the 4th round. An OG that could play next year should be the target. It would be wise to look for a guy that could play center once Linsley retires.

The highest I'd be willing to pick OT/OG is the 2nd round. And only if the right one was there... I see 5 or 6 OT's that I believe are 1st/2nd round grades.

So the question is... how much draft capital do you want to spend? A 2nd rounder or a 4th/5th rounder...?
    so keep fieler? Slater-fieler-linsley-johnson-salyer? Or start another rookie on O-line in 2022 and see if the shit sticks to the wall slater-rookie-linsley-johnson-salyer

either one of your proposed “let pip walk” scenarios leaves us with a super thin line an no one (rookie or sarell, LOL) to play tackle if we lose one of our starting guys…

the gift horse like you said is that we have a guy in salyer that can play LG better than (8.5mil man) fieler and he becomes your primary emergency option at either tackle position should pip or slater go down…extending pipkins would hit the cap about as hard in year one as the fieler cut savings of about 6.5 mil and it might even be less of a hit in 2023…so the question is, who do you guys want, you want fieler at 8.5mil or do you want pipkins at with a 2mil fieler dead cap hit and the fieler cap savings offsets pipkins’ 2023 cap hit easy and might even net a couple more mil on the cap…

you guys are talking about building depth and how are going to do that by cutting fieler AND letting pipkins walk? you want to leave up to cheap veteran FAs and rookie draft picks?

mark my words, they let pipkins walk and he’ll be wearing a chiefs, raiders, or broncos uniform next year…he’s better than the RTs on their rosters…how will you guys feel then? It’s idiotic to even consider letting him go, the dude was trash for three years so people don’t appreciate the guy but he has turned his shit around, pipkins has been our best OT for the greater part of the season while playing with a sprained ligament in his knee for the majority of the season…go back and watch the first couple of games of the year to see how good he was before the knee and it’s amazing he’s been as good as he has been while injured…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Trey Pipkins is an average RT. Somewhere between La'el Collins and Chukwuma Okafor. Now everybody may discredit PFF, but Pip's agent is going to use those scores to get that next contract. That puts Pip's "value" right around $8.5 million per year (OTC has him @$9.5 million).

Herbert's 2024 salary (5th year option) jumps up to $30+ million. Ain't no way I'm paying an average RT $8.5 million per year.
      Especially when I have a rookie OT that has already played better (in his 1st year) than Pipkins played in his 4th year.
      I'm looking @OT's in the 2nd round. And if I believe Salyer is my future RT for the next 3 years... I'm looking @OG in the 4th round.

Chargers are $13 million over the cap next year... I wouldn't make plans for re-signing everybody/anybody. If I'm re-signing someone, it would be Morgan Fox.
      the chargers had no issue paying a POS guy over 10mil a season to play RT three years ago, or paying a POS LG 8.5mil per year two years ago…you’re right, why would they pay a homegrown guy that has already proven himself (and is only 26 years old) less than that now? BTW that RT guy I mentioned ended up making over 22mil for a total of like 4-5 games worth played fragments over the course of two seasons, pipkins has already outplayed bulaga’s two seasons in one year while playing with one leg and while making 800k this year…you call pipkins avg but he hasn’t even maxed out yet and he’s still young and has been relatively injury free, his knee is not going to be a long term issue…he just needs time to heal…

Right now, today, pipkins is the best RT in the AFC west, yes, let’s let him walk because the chiefs, raiders, or broncos will have no problem giving him his 8 per and upgrading their offensive lines…

we FINALLY have a RT worth half a shit (and he’s still going to get better) and now you fucking guys want to let him walk, what a crock of shit!
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

And the cap is a fucking joke, 13 mil over give me a fucking break! All they have to do is convert joeys salary from 2023 into a bonus and we clear like 18-20 million on the cap in one fucking move! And that’s before the new cap increases kick in, ONE FUCKING MOVE! give a break with the cap already! Cutting fieler and hopkins clears up an additional 9million in cap space, extend michael davis and create another 5-6 million in cap space, do I really need to continue, the chargers are no where near getting into cap trouble, STOP FUCKING BULLSHITTING ABOUT THE FUCKING CAP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
          And the cap is a fucking joke, 13 mil over give me a fucking break! All they have to do is convert joeys salary from 2023 into a bonus and we clear like 18-20 million on the cap in one fucking move! And that’s before the new cap increases kick in, ONE FUCKING MOVE! give a break with the cap already! Cutting fieler and hopkins clears up an additional 9million in cap space, extend michael davis and create another 5-6 million in cap space, do I really need to continue, the chargers are no where near getting into cap trouble, STOP FUCKING BULLSHITTING ABOUT THE FUCKING CAP!
          Yeah baby - bring that truth down on the warped plains of TPB and let your sanity quench the parched valleys of confusion! Letting Pipkins go would be the single worst OL move they could make and he would be immediately signed by one of our rivals. Sign Pipkins to a fair cap-friendly contract, dump Feiler who is the real overpaid average/mediocre OL player, and stop creating new roster problems we don’t now have. End of discussion.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Release Feiler, apply the cap savings from it towards resigning Pipkins and move Salyer to LG. Draft our future center. That gives us a good, young core of olinemen and the luxury of having a guy in Salyer who could move to tackle if needed.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                Wait - I thought the D was better without James playing??? Clearly the players who watch him and play against him treat this as a popularity contest instead of based on merit and performance.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

This can't be. I keep reading here that our defense is better without him.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    Release Feiler, apply the cap savings from it towards resigning Pipkins and move Salyer to LG. Draft our future center. That gives us a good, young core of olinemen and the luxury of having a guy in Salyer who could move to tackle if needed.
                    They’ll have to do more than release Feiler. Probably some additional tricks. Maybe a Vato extension to free up more cap this year?

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

They’ll have to do more than release Feiler. Probably some additional tricks. Maybe a Vato extension to free up more cap this year?
                      Sure, there are a lot of tough decisions on who to keep, who to restructure, who to cut. I'd restructure/extend both Davis and Allen and cut Feiler as a start.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

@ jolt and rich

Both can be true.
                        James is the most talented, versatile defender we have
                        AND
                        the other 10 guys on the field play better with regular ol Gilman in.

maybe a coincidence, maybe not
                        I've never seen anything like it, but I'm enjoying the phenomenon.
                        2024: Far From Over

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Wait - I thought the D was better without James playing??? Clearly the players who watch him and play against him treat this as a popularity contest instead of based on merit and performance.
                          Lol, right? They just like he’s been buying low-contract dudes bling. Majority of players are on near-min deals, they want to encourage more money transfers from the worthless overpaid team-crippling “stars” to the truly deserving lunch pail grinders.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X