If a team can go in playoff with 8-9 or under this year
    must be for champion of NFC East or AFC North

Comment

• NashBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post

Looked like Gaz kept telling him to relax & calm down. Whatever SJD was complaining about, Gaz was getting tired of hearing it.

Sebastian Joseph-Day & Morgan Fox Get Into A Heated Fight On The Sideline - YouTube
      The way I heard it is , SJD was pissed Morgan Fox wouldnt get the extended warranty.....

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

Nice article on Kyle Van Noy in The Athletic Pulse this morning. Keyed on his role/performance at both Edge and Linebacker against Tennessee. Good read.

Comment

• SBbound
          Casual fanatic
          • Feb 2019
          • Merced/San Diego
          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post
          Nice article on Kyle Van Noy in The Athletic Pulse this morning. Keyed on his role/performance at both Edge and Linebacker against Tennessee. Good read.
          Thanks.

(The subscription is worth it. You'll have to read the article to see the screen shots and descriptions.)

When the Chargers signed Kyle Van Noy in May, they envisioned deploying him in a versatile role in Brandon Staley’s defense.

During his time with the Patriots and Dolphins, Van Noy had played both edge rusher and inside — or off-ball — linebacker. He even wore the green dot at times with the Patriots as the defensive signal-caller in the huddle. This positional flexibility, along with playoff and championship experience, made Van Noy an attractive piece for Staley.
          ​Van Noy could provide depth on the edge behind Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa. He could also provide depth at off-ball linebacker, which was important in the spring as Kenneth Murray Jr. was still working his way back from offseason ankle surgery. Van Noy spent all of training camp playing off-ball linebacker while Murray was sidelined. With a fully healthy defense, Van Noy could be utilized in specialized pass-rush packages. Staley could disguise Van Noy as a pass rusher before dropping him into coverage or disguise him as an off-ball linebacker before sending him after the quarterback. Van Noy’s versatile skill set fueled that vision.

“His trademark is that he can do either,” Staley said during OTAs.

Of course, that plan never fully materialized. Bosa went down with a core muscle injury in Week 3 and has been on injured reserve since. Chris Rumph II sprained his MCL in Week 7 and went on to miss two games. Those two injuries, in particular Bosa’s, forced Van Noy into a full-time edge rusher role.

As Van Noy told me in Week 9, with the Chargers coming off their bye, there was a mindset shift as he transitioned from playing exclusively off the ball in training camp to exclusively on the edge after the Bosa injury.

“It’s just getting comfortable and getting back into the go, go, go mode versus read and react off the ball,” he said then

Van Noy has slowly grown more comfortable in the edge rusher role in Staley’s defense. There was a scheme transition, as well, considering Van Noy spent his previous five-plus seasons in the same system with Bill Belichick in New England and Brian Flores, a former Belichick assistant, in Miami.

Over the past two weeks, Van Noy has started to significantly impact games as an edge rusher in multiple phases — pressuring the quarterback, stopping the run and defending in coverage.

He had his first sack of the season in a Week 14 victory over the Dolphins, winning against Pro Bowl left tackle Terron Armstead on a spin move to the inside.
          ​Van Noy followed that up with an outstanding performance against the Titans — what Staley called “maybe his best game” of the season. A lot of factors have gone into the Chargers’ recent defensive surge. A key one has been Van Noy’s level of play.

Let’s start with what Van Noy did in run defense against Derrick Henry.

The Titans prominently feature outside zone in their rushing offense — which refers to a blocking scheme in which the offensive linemen all block laterally as opposed to being assigned a specific gap or player to block. These outside zone blocking schemes can put a lot of stress on the edges of a defense’s run front. The running back will typically take an outside handoff or pitch, and it is up to the runner to identify the crease and hit it with one cut upfield.

This blocking scheme is an ideal fit for Henry. It allows him to build up momentum and attack the defense north-south.

The Titans called outside zone frequently against the Chargers. Van Noy was crucial in thwarting this facet of the Tennessee offense. He regularly got penetration off the edge, disrupting Henry’s track and forcing him to hesitate in the backfield.

It took Van Noy most of this season to find his stride in Staley’s defense. But he is now playing some of his best football when it matters most.

Each day brings the Chargers closer to a Bosa return. But even when Bosa is back, Van Noy should continue to be a weapon for Staley as the Chargers barrel toward the postseason — in whatever capacity he is needed.

Comment

• cmplxgal
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • New Jersey
            • Send PM

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Send PM

OK, admit it, which of you are in this video?

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
                Is Staley going to wear that in-game? Talk about clock management -- and with style to boot.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

Is Staley going to wear that in-game? Talk about clock management -- and with style to boot.
                  Stylish, yes. Accurate...not so much. My wife bought me a Rolex for my birthday one year and the perpetual motion just doesn't keep accurate time (I am anal about it) so I brought it back and exchanged it for an Omega. Not as flashy but a much better watch. Of course, now I just wear an Apple watch. Don't suppose Derwin buying Apple watches for everyone would be that impressive!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Stylish, yes. Accurate...not so much. My wife bought me a Rolex for my birthday one year and the perpetual motion just doesn't keep accurate time (I am anal about it) so I brought it back and exchanged it for an Omega. Not as flashy but a much better watch. Of course, now I just wear an Apple watch. Don't suppose Derwin buying Apple watches for everyone would be that impressive!
                    My dad had a Rolex someone in the family gave him as a gift of a lifetime. He almost never wore it because it kept shitty time and was too gauche for his understated classy taste.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• NashBolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

Coach Staley opted for the chain with a diamond bedazzled stopwatch.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • New Jersey
                        • Send PM

Let's see if we can check off two more of the playoff-clinching results today:

Comment

• cmplxgal
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • New Jersey
                          • Send PM

Was the transactions and injuries topic folded into this one?

Comment

Working...
                          X