• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockyMtnBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Out-coached but won despite also being outplayed? Thats a theory, i guess.
    How many games have you walked away from saying “that was impressive”?

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2022
      • Send PM

Trust what you see…this is not a good football team

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

IMV, the prepondurance of this board projects the Chargers to lose to the Dolphins, realizes Spanos will fire no one and also to retain ownership of the team.

While it would be an upset for the Chargers to win, my post that you quoted in part, points out the simple fact that the game has not been played yet.

The storyline for the Chargers, since late September, has been to sneak into the playoffs under challenging circumstances and then make a long and surprising run.

You, and too many posters, have made it clear that this storyline is not only unlikely, but also repugnant.

That's a football take, I guess.
        While I would love to see a a long and surprising run happen in the playoffs like the Giants of old, or the Packers in 2010, I have little to no faith in Lombardi not regressing to the mean even and assuming if he is able to play call a a couple great games leading up to any potential playoff run. And I have no faith in the run defense, or the defense in general to not fuck up in critical moments that will inevitably end up costing us due to lack of preparedness or poor scheme to talent fit. That's really the storyline for this season and even last, for the most part.

In spite of all of this, and contrary to all evidence thus far, I still have faith in Staley to adjust, make necessary changes (to staff and/or scheme, offensively and defensively) and inevitably become a great coach (possibly elsewhere). I just don't think he has all that much time here, but we shall see.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

While I would love to see a a long and surprising run happen in the playoffs like the Giants of old, or the Packers in 2010, I have little to no faith in Lombardi not regressing to the mean even and assuming if he is able to play call a a couple great games leading up to any potential playoff run. And I have no faith in the run defense, or the defense in general to not fuck up in critical moments that will inevitably end up costing us. That's really the storyline for this season and even last, for the most part.
          Fair enough.
          Thank you for responding.
          See ya @ Staley's Dolphin post game locker room speech.
          Guaranteed cringe material.
          Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2020
            • Send PM

Fair enough.
            Thank you for responding.
            See ya @ Staley's Dolphin post game locker room speech.
            Guaranteed cringe material.
            I edited my post to reiterate my stance on Staley. I could be wrong with my take, but I wasn't wrong with Dan Campbell thus far, and I'm hoping to be proven right about Staley, even though nothing indicates he's trending that way yet.

I'll say this though -- I started watching and following the Chargers prior to the start of the 2004 season, and I stopped watching in 2011 when Ron Rivera left to the Panthers and we hired Greg Manusky as DC. I've watched a few games a season up until 2020 when Herbert started and have been watching mostly every game since, so here's to hoping we get some magical runs like we did from 2004-2009.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post

How many games have you walked away from saying “that was impressive”?
              If you think our coaches were bummed about their performance, how did the losing coaches feel? I just don’t buy the notion they were out coached, their players were outplayed, but they won.

But to answer: I have not been impressed with the Charger team like I expected I would all year long. I still see more players not playing well vs coaching, but i see some of both. I see other coaches also not mistake-free, i see a Charger team that has been in almost every game so its just a bit detached from fact to say they are completely outclassed.

Someone was hoisting McVey yesterday as an example of how a great coach does it vs Staley (v Raiders). The win got them to 4-9, how does analysis get so detached from reality? Seriously - the 4-9 coach shows how great coaches make the difference? Lol.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

I edited my post to reiterate my stance on Staley. I could be wrong with my take, but I wasn't wrong with Dan Campbell thus far, and I'm hoping to be proven right about Staley, even though nothing indicates he's trending that way yet.

I'll say this though -- I started watching and following the Chargers prior to the start of the 2004 season, and I stopped watching in 2011 when Ron Rivera left to the Panthers and we hired Greg Manusky as DC. I've watched a few games a season up until 2020 when Herbert started and have been watching mostly every game since, so here's to hoping we get some magical runs like we did from 2004-2009.
                You missed out on Tom Bass and Bill Arnspager. :thumbsup:

Ron Rivera would have been a good Charger HC, don't ya think ?

Golden Bear.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I think TT and Co thought they had a good defensive roster plan: Add on lockdown CB pushes all the DBs down one peg in responsibility to perhaps where they can thrive. Add a second star Edge and two pro IDTs that can hold the point better.

they decided to not overhaul LB, just add one movable piece KVN. That was an error. They thought two IDTs were enough but once they were hurt, the backups are still as inadequate as they have been for 5 years. And they figured 2 great Edge players would suffice, many here were screaming that a pro team must have 3 good edge rushers.

Their OL plan in hindsight was about as solid as could be. No teams can absorb 4 starters out well, its a total crap shoot to hope that many backups can play cohesively together.

RB plan wasn’t much of a plan. Spiller could be a decent player, he’s not changing anything thats going on.
                  WR plan didn’t appreciate the speed needed in today’s NFL. I didnt appreciate it enough. I do today.
                  TE was a patch job, figuring other parts would help it.

All in all - more than usual tragedy befell or warriors and TT’s second and third layers of roster are glaringly exposed yet again. This is the story of TT’s run. He gets enough good players to make the team average and that is it. Probabilities and dice eventually tell the story - 10 years is what TT is.

I ride another year or two with Staley - i still just like the cut of his jib
                  Everyone thinks they have good plans starting out.

No one held a gun to their heads when they decided to have Clapp as their insurance policy to the aging Linsley.
                  Lombo, having worked with him before, should have known that he was an inadequate backup.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2020
                    • Send PM

You missed out on Tom Bass and Bill Arnspager. :thumbsup:

Ron Rivera would have been a good Charger HC, don't ya think ?

Golden Bear.
                    On the old CMB, I always stated that if the roles were reversed, and Ron Rivera was HC and Norv was OC, we'd go much farther. I'd go as far as to say that Ron might be one person that AJ would have worked amicably with and would have taken some input from in terms of draft choices and/or personnel decisions, whereas I don't believe Norv was all that involved or had much input.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

On the old CMB, I always stated that if the roles were reversed, and Ron Rivera was HC and Norv was OC, we'd go much farther. I'd go as far as to say that Ron might be one person that AJ would have worked amicably with and would have taken some input from in terms of draft choices and/or personnel decisions, whereas I don't believe Norv was all that involved or had much input.
                      Good take.
                      Norv was for Phil.
                      My Raider co workers up here laughed in my face
                      about the former Silver and Black coach.
                      The only Raider HC they ever hated worse was Joe Bugel.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Everyone thinks they have good plans starting out.

No one held a gun to their heads when they decided to have Clapp as their insurance policy to the aging Linsley.
                        Lombo, having worked with him before, should have known that he was an inadequate backup.
                        So Lombo is in charge of player scouting and signing now too? TT owns the roster, how many times must we repeat this fact.

Staley can input. Lombo can input. John Jr can input. The fucking equipment manager can input. But TT owns the roster.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post
                          Trust what you see…this is not a good football team
                          6-6 ,AFC #9 seed is a high average team. Don't ignore the facts.
                          Not what I had hoped for, granted.

Comment

Working...
                          X