• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Jackson left 2 games early last year. 1 after his first offensive series as I recall.

He played 231 snaps last season. 125 of those were on STs so saying he played in 14 of 17 isn't the same as saying MW played in 16 if 17 because his were all on offense, 80-90% of the the downs (896 offensive snaps)

Jackson had many games when he only had 1 to 3 touches on offense.
    He had 90 total touches on offense and missed 3 games. He missed 7 the year before w/ 78 offensive touches and 9 the year before that w/ 38 touches. .

Ive said many times I like JJ but he is too brittle to be counted on. We need a good and more reliable backup to Ekeler. JJ can be the backup to the backup in my view.
    I'll take it! Give me a 5th-7th round RB... and JJ can be his back-up.

OLineCentric

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'll take it! Give me a 5th-7th round RB... and JJ AND ROUNTREE AND KELLEY can be his back-upS.
      There...fixed it for 'ya!

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

I'll take it! Give me a 5th-7th round RB... and JJ AND ROUNTREE AND KELLEY can be his back-upS.
        Originally posted by Topcat View Post

There...fixed it for 'ya!
        And either Kelly or Roundtree gets cut...

There, fixed it for ya...
        OLineCentric

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Nut, I'd be fine with that! Not impressed at all with Kelley...and Rountree isn't far behind...

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
            we were a nine win team w/MW @wideout.... how are you convinced he is gonna uptick and help bump up the win column ?? my suspicion is that if anything, the risk is much greater that he will miss even more games, or be @half speed/hamstrung for the ones that he does show up/out for, and who's to say his reception totals might not dwindle as well ?? and the biggest question is: was that the best/optimum use of our financial resources as related to our roster build ??
            We were a nine win team with Herbert at QB - should we not extend him? MW is not the reason we only won 9 games last year, it was mainly the D and right side of the line. The way MW plays, there is always the risk of injury but for the reason I mentioned before his contract did not turn out to be all that excessive.

he is also taking a large chunk of the cap, and he missed half of last season and was on the injury report near every game the season before.... don't know how you don't assign a fair amount of risk to that history ?? and for the if and when he does see the field, @what percentage health is he at ?? 100 percent, or something a little or even significantly less ?? he is a risky add, and given our history w/adding aging FAs, not so sure would be counting that egg in my basket, and yes.... great if the both of them run the table and we waltz into the playoffs and make a run for the SB, and.... not so sure 'bout that ??
            That is fair, but the surgery on his toe was a while ago so I expect him fully healthy by the time the season starts. Sure it is a risk, just like extending James (which is about to happen) is a risk. But when on the field, he is a monster player and while the cap space is high, we have the room and an out without a major penalty if we did decide to move on.

personally think our biggest weaknesses were the run game, on both sides of the ball, and... Telesco has had multiple chances to sign a complementary FA RB, and he has chosen not to, and now.... there is a Golden Domer RB sitting there @79.... that makes me nervous, coz just like MW, the question is not really 'bout the player, as both Kyren Williams and MW can play.... 'tis about the allocation of draft capital and cap monies.... not sure team Tommy John is optimizing our resources, and in the longrun/end game, that's the bottom line/name of the game.
            I agree we need another RB, but still don't think it is the most pressing need on the team - that would be the RG/RT IMO. Again, if the coaching staff isn't enamoured with any of the FA RB or they are just asking for budget breaking numbers I can see trying to fill that hole in the draft or with a post draft FA after rosters are more settled.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

You have to catch them before you cut them. They’re just so fast and elusive you know.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

No more plodders at RB. Please.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

You have to catch them before you cut them. They’re just so fast and elusive you know.
                  I will admit... I liked Kelly coming out of college. I had mocked him in the 5th and 6th rounds many times.
                  But that was when we were dabbling with Lynn's RPO. Kelly fit that system better than what we run now.
                  Having said that, he's still better than Roundtree. I would be sad to see both of them replaced.
                  OLineCentric

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

I will admit... I liked Kelly coming out of college. I had mocked him in the 5th and 6th rounds many times.
                    But that was when we were dabbling with Lynn's RPO. Kelly fit that system better than what we run now.
                    Having said that, he's still better than Roundtree. I would be sad to see both of them replaced.
                    I think Kelly goes before Roundtree. He wasn't that good in Lynn's offense either. Just lacks burst.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I think Kelly goes before Roundtree. He wasn't that good in Lynn's offense either. Just lacks burst.
                      I wouldn't mind if Kelly or Roundtree were replaced via draft or FA.
                      I just wouldn't use round 3 or 4 to replace them... too many good players in those rounds.
                      I think safety in round 3 and WR in round 4 (or EDGE).
                      Abram Smith could be had in round 7 (if size is what you want). Cam'ron Harris is another good late rounder.
                      OLineCentric

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

personally think our biggest weaknesses were the run game, on both sides of the ball, and... Telesco has had multiple chances to sign a complementary FA RB, and he has chosen not to, and now.... there is a Golden Domer RB sitting there @79.... that makes me nervous, coz just like MW, the question is not really 'bout the player, as both Kyren Williams and MW can play.... 'tis about the allocation of draft capital and cap monies.... not sure team Tommy John is optimizing our resources, and in the longrun/end game, that's the bottom line/name of the game.
                        Staley mentioned that he didn’t like what was currently available in FA for RBs so it looks like they’re looking at the draft again. I prefer a third day pick again. No to anything in the 3rd unless we trade down and get more day 2 picks.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

I wouldn't mind if Kelly or Roundtree were replaced via draft or FA.
                          I just wouldn't use round 3 or 4 to replace them... too many good players in those rounds.
                          I think safety in round 3 and WR in round 4 (or EDGE).
                          Abram Smith could be had in round 7 (if size is what you want). Cam'ron Harris is another good late rounder.
                          To me it makes no difference. There are good RBs in round 3 &4 as well and it's a need. We have 2 starting safeties so it's a depth thing there. We need a RB to split carries and duties. WR we have 3 productive guys so that is also depth. I agree on getting another CB and WR but it isn't as big a need as RB.

RT and RB imo are the biggest needs right now. Fill in the blanks after that.

We can also trade down and get another 3rd.

Comment

Working...
                          X