• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
    I want to put this out here to get clarification from anyone who knows more about this than *eye* do.

I have heard from several different sources* that the Chargers *really* like LB Amen Ogbongbemiga. (The Bolts signed him as an UDFA after the draft last spring, after he played his college ball at Oklahoma State.)

Like, speaking about him in the kind of tones that have been reserved for guys like Kris Dielman. In other words, a guy who becomes a valued starter.

So I'm thinking, "Really? Not a Damion Square or a Kassim Osgood or a Jahleel Addae, but a Dielman or an Ekeler?!?"

Now, this may be a significant amplification of A.Bong's future with the Bolts. It's just that I've heard these reports from several sources*, and I've never heard anything that contradicts them.

So what does anyone else know about him? Is it possible that Staley sees A.Bong as suited to step into the position Kyzir White played last year? If so, that would explain a few things.

* None of these "several sources" were Hacksaw.
    Amen got some run last season and it wasn’t good

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Translation.
      Great intangibles.
      Not a good scheme fit.
      The "All-In" with StaleyD + JC
      makes it abundantly clear to this fan that our HC has SPECIFIC ideas about defenders.
      JMO.
      I think Staley likes his 6th Rd pick Niemann to compete at ILB with Tranquill, Murray, Amen.
      Its an ILB group with more size without White.
      Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

The farther you get from the 1st pick of the draft, the longer the odds against finding a starter. There are exceptions. Mr INT and Ekeler are two very good- excellent UDFA starters.
        Every now and then, there's a gem found late. The Chargers have a pretty good track record in that regard. For that reason, I prefer the shotgun approach.
        Take a bunch, let the position staff pick some 6-7- UDFA favs, you may get a hit.
        The Chargers have a long history of finding gems in undrafted free agency, but from my recollections they really turned up their UDRFA signings in the early 2000s under John Butler. It's the NFL equivalent of bargain basement shopping and most teams in the NFL nowadays sign 10 plus guys a year, although there are still a few teams that only sign 5-6 guys. By comparison, it's not uncommon for the chargers to sign 15-20 guys. I think one year (can’t remember which) they signed 23! Now everyone wants to find that priest holmes, antonio gates, jason peters, wes welker, etc…

The reasons why the chargers have become an UDRFA success story are not all good reasons. Some of that is bad scouting and drafting but on the positive side, they’ve become known as an organization that will give UDRFAs a legitimate shot at making a roster if they prove themselves. A lot of teams only used to view those guys as camp bodies. Signing 15-20 guys gives you a lot of ‘at bats’ like Telesco says, you’re bound to find something that accidentally landed in the bargain bin…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I think Staley likes his 6th Rd pick Niemann to compete at ILB with Tranquill, Murray, Amen.
          Its an ILB group with more size without White.
          I like tranquill a lot, I think he's the best ILB we have ATM. I can still see that play in the first KC game where he threw joe thunney to the side to get pressure on patrick mahommes. He also seemed to pick up the Staley scheme well too. It’ll be interesting to see if K9 can blossom in year two of Staley scheme, last year he looked lost and fell behind in class due to injuries and just never recovered. I’m still not 100% he’s the type of linebacker Staley wants in his system but for now he might have to carry K9 if for no other reason than the price the chargers paid to get him. I don’t think the FO wants to throw in the towel on a guy that they traded into the first round to get, at least not yet. It wouldn’t surprise me if the chargers select an ILB in rounds 5-7 in this draft again this year. Folks have been saying that nick nieman is strictly a STs guy, I can’t wait to see him prove people wrong, I think nieman could become something, he might be one of the fastest linebackers that the chargers have had in a while. Ogbongbemiga I was not impressed with, he looked slow, but the staff seems to be really high on him. That’s why I’m no scout, to me he didn’t look that good last year, it’ll be interesting to see his progression from last year.

And don’t forget christiansen from the practice squad, he flashed a bit in preseason last summer too, plus he’s also solid on STs. Sometimes the UDRFAs develop better than lower round picks. It’s just a toss up because the differences between lower round picks and most UDRFAs is minimal at times. Sometimes the only advantage the lower round picks have is that their position was a greater need on the team that drafted them, that’s it.
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

That and LB and OL still stand out. They haven’t drafted a good #2 back since michael Turner which pre dates TT. He hasn’t been able to do it. Like OL. Just can’t seem to draft the position
            Just saw a list - - for a cheap deal - would take a chance with
            David Johnson
            Devontae Booker
            Philip Lindsay

Just somebody as a different option than a day 3 pick or Rountree or Kelley

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Just saw a list - - for a cheap deal - would take a chance with
              David Johnson
              Devontae Booker
              Philip Lindsay

Just somebody as a different option than a day 3 pick or Rountree or Kelley
              isn’t Sony Michel still unsigned too?

alex collins from seattle and marlon mack from the colts I think those two remained unsigned as well. They need to clean house with the backup RBs for sure, kelly is clueless and roundtree is simply not NFL caliber from a physical standpoint

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
                I want to put this out here to get clarification from anyone who knows more about this than *eye* do.

I have heard from several different sources* that the Chargers *really* like LB Amen Ogbongbemiga. (The Bolts signed him as an UDFA after the draft last spring, after he played his college ball at Oklahoma State.)

Like, speaking about him in the kind of tones that have been reserved for guys like Kris Dielman. In other words, a guy who becomes a valued starter.

So I'm thinking, "Really? Not a Damion Square or a Kassim Osgood or a Jahleel Addae, but a Dielman or an Ekeler?!?"

Now, this may be a significant amplification of A.Bong's future with the Bolts. It's just that I've heard these reports from several sources*, and I've never heard anything that contradicts them.

So what does anyone else know about him? Is it possible that Staley sees A.Bong as suited to step into the position Kyzir White played last year? If so, that would explain a few things.

* None of these "several sources" were Hacksaw.
                He also said many good things about K White too. Look what he did to him though.
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

SI article from a week ago about the effect Mack will have.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

isn’t Sony Michel still unsigned too?

alex collins from seattle and marlon mack from the colts I think those two remained unsigned as well. They need to clean house with the backup RBs for sure, kelly is clueless and roundtree is simply not NFL caliber from a physical standpoint
                    Sony Michel imo has been unimpressive and the other two....Collins is also a limited player and Mack is injured too much.

So when Staley said the RB group wasn't that impressive for FA running backs,..... For the most part I agree. I only liked D'Eanest Johnson, Fournette and maybe Ronald Jones. One's tendered and the other two are signed.

And I liked Conner who also is resigned. So the free agent running back market for me is done
                    I'm for drafting it running back now.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Sony Michel imo has been unimpressive and the other two....Collins is also a limited player and Mack is injured too much.

So when Staley said the RB group wasn't that impressive for FA running backs,..... For the most part I agree. I only liked D'Eanest Johnson, Fournette and maybe Ronald Jones. One's tendered and the other two are signed.

And I liked Conner who also is resigned. So the free agent running back market for me is done
                      I'm for drafting it running back now.
                      I don’t think the chargers looked at Ronald Jones, he doesn’t catch the ball well, he fell out of favor for his receiving shortcomings and for his fumbling issues. He’s more of one dimensional pure runner.

what round in the draft do you think they start looking at the running backs?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I don’t think the chargers looked at Ronald Jones, he doesn’t catch the ball well, he fell out of favor for his receiving shortcomings and for his fumbling issues. He’s more of one dimensional pure runner.

what round in the draft do you think they start looking at the running backs?
                        3..... And if they trade down and get an extra third even better

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

3..... And if they trade down and get an extra third even better
                          if there is one position that can come in and play right away it’s the running back position, who’s going to be there in the mid third round tho? Hall and Walker III will be long gone, who do you like after those two?

Comment

Working...
                          X