• Show
Clear All
  • Leslie Grossman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Oklahoma
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
    Nobody set the edge well last season. Nwosu wants that, get it from somebody else. Promote Rumph and see if he develops faster, draft EDGE. Spend the money better.
    To beat a dead horse yet again Nwosu is too small to set and edge. Biggest reason I was on the Walker and now Wyatt bandwagon.
    An easy way to see it is the Rams have Donald and Robinson on the ends and before Robinson it was Brockers. That is how they did it with low round picks at linebacker and NT, and of course a good secondary.
    Chargers front hasn't been in the same stratosphere as the Rams.
    If Nwosu can get 10 mil somewhere else go get it. Hopefully it's Denver or Vegas, KC wouldn't be that stupid. The 48th pick gets about 1 mil as a rookie.
    Imo he is a 3-4 OLB/edge not a 4-3 edge, same as Ingram and Nwosu nowhere near the pass rusher prime Ingram was.
    Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 03-07-2022, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If Nwosu signs for $10-13 mil with another team, might be worth a 4th round comp pick...
      Chargers would only get the 4th round pick if they do not sign anybody of equal value or close to it. So if they sign a CB like Ward - no comp pick for Nwosu. I am not beholden to any of Jones, Nwosu or White if the team can get better

The Packers are releasing Za'Darius Smith. He is bigger than Nwosu - closer to Joey Bosa size Not sure how much he would cost from an AAV perspective but if the market heats up for Nwosu - this might be a player of interest once released before free agency. Of course health is a concern - but might be an option since a bit bigger than Nwosu

I know Popper mentions the team might be leery of giving Williams long term cash but I am more leery of giving Nwosu long term cash - if he truly wants 13m

Plenty of options - I am excited to see what Telesco and Staley do in year 2, If this were TElesco and Lynn - it would be Akiem Nicks and Tyrann Mathieu. I don't think Staley settles for those additions. They look good on paper and have some name appeal but really don't push the team forward
      Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 03-07-2022, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

To beat a dead horse yet again Nwosu is too small to set and edge. Biggest reason I was on the Walker and now Wyatt bandwagon.
        An easy way to see it is the Rams have Donald and Robinson on the ends and before Robinson it was Brockers. That is how they did it with low round picks at linebacker and NT, and of course a good secondary.
        Chargers front hasn't been in the same stratosphere as the Rams.
        If Nwosu can get 10 mil somewhere else go get it. Hopefully it's Denver or Vegas, KC wouldn't be that stupid. The 48th pick gets about 1 mil as a rookie.
        Imo he is a 3-4 OLB/edge not a 4-3 edge, same as Ingram and Nwosu nowhere near the pass rusher prime Ingram was.
        Disagree. He isn't too small, he is 251 lbs and Staley says he is perfect for his defense. Ingram wasn't bigger. He got down to 245 lbs and sorry, he was over rated imo.

Hoping we can keep Nwosu at 8 mil but we'll see. Not worth 13 mil.
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-07-2022, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Disagree. He isn't too small, he is 251 lbs and Staley says he is perfect for his defense. Ingram wasn't bigger. He got down to 245 lbs and sorry, he was over rated imo.

Hoping we can keep Nwosu at 8il but we'll see. Not worth 13 mil.
          I might go in the something like 9 to 9.5 range. Maybe 37.5/4 or something like that. Its not my money. But it becomes 50+/4 - that might be too steep and agree with you

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Njoku was tagged by the Browns - interesting player to tag

Graziano from ESPN expects other TEs to be tagged as well. So my guess would be Schultz and Gesicki

Zach Ertz just made a bit more money if all three of these players are tagged. Gronk too

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Perfect for what? Not getting blown up every other play on the edge? Are they transitioning him to the middle? I like the player but he doesn’t seem to have a position in Staley’s D he can excel at.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2020
                • Oklahoma
                • Send PM

Didn't say Ingram was bigger. Think he was also too small, overrated, and overpaid on his last contract. Would have been better off improving the O Line and drafting another edge to split snaps with Nwosu especially playing him at edge rather than LB. The Gus Bradley defense is another whole topic so I digress.
                Agree Nwosu is not worth more than 8. This assuming he would be in a Leonard Floyd role in a true 3-4 Rams defense? otherwise don't want him back period.
                Could probably get Cam Thomas or Drake Jackson at 48 for 1/8 of the cost.

One last thought: What else are coaches and GMs going to say when asked about their players? It has to be positive and often times is an exaggeration. Staley even brags up Norton and Pipkins when we all know they are the weak link holding the offense back. Coachspeak 101.
                Last edited by Leslie Grossman; 03-07-2022, 11:00 AM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Chandler Jones 10 1/2 sacks last year came in only a few games: 5 the opening game against Tennessee, 3 against Seattle's crappy Oline & qb who holds on to the ball, and 2 1/2 the remaining 16 games.

He played 5 games in 2019 with 1 sack.

I know sacks partially tell the story, but i would look good and hard before giving a big contract to the soon to be 32 year older.

You'll probably pay a ton of money to a guy whose roll should be reduced to a part-timer.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                    Chandler Jones 10 1/2 sacks last year came in only a few games: 5 the opening game against Tennessee, 3 against Seattle's crappy Oline & qb who holds on to the ball, and 2 1/2 the remaining 16 games.

He played 5 games in 2019 with 1 sack.

I know sacks partially tell the story, but i would look good and hard before giving a big contract to the soon to be 32 year older.

You'll probably pay a ton of money to a guy whose roll should be reduced to a part-timer.
                    Preaching to the choir but its why I am against Jones, Hicks, Mathieu and even Von Miller. Though Von did have some juice last year

It hasn't worked out well for Telesco recently with the older player: Thomas Davis, Bulaga, Harris, Cook - hell Linval was the best one until COVID but post COVID he was not the same. Pay for who the player WILL BE and not WHAT THEY WERE. It worked for the Bengals

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Preaching to the choir but its why I am against Jones, Hicks, Mathieu and even Von Miller. Though Von did have some juice last year

It hasn't worked out well for Telesco recently with the older player: Thomas Davis, Bulaga, Harris, Cook - hell Linval was the best one until COVID but post COVID he was not the same. Pay for who the player WILL BE and not WHAT THEY WERE. It worked for the Bengals
                      Thomas Davis was I think 35 though. Cook was 34 or 35. I don't mind 30-31on a short deal. It wasn't Bulaga's age for me, it was his injury history which was sketchy.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Plus, don't forget the big contract offer Telesco was believed to have extended to Andre Johnson, who by that time was spent.

You can more than likely get 'impact' vets on a rental basis during some part of the season, when you can zero in on where you need help to get to a Super Bowl.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2020
                          • Oklahoma
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Perfect for what? Not getting blown up every other play on the edge? Are they transitioning him to the middle? I like the player but he doesn’t seem to have a position in Staley’s D he can excel at.
                          well said, Is he even right for a Leonard Floyd or Von Miller role at his talent level? Can't pay him 8 mil to be an inside backer, especially if they are paying Kyzir White.

Comment

Working...
                          X