Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I like the idea of Ertz if Schultz is that high. But hell, Ertz might still be that high. Granted, the cap is all fuzzy math anyway - you can always make numbers work

If Telesco fixes IDL, Edge, CB and RT -- he has a bit of leeway with me
    If Ertz and Schultz are going to cost the same, I want the guy entering his prime over the guy who is on the downside of his career.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Send PM

Here is where I read that Schultz might be a good match for the Chargers. Apparently Gil Brandt thinks it makes sense.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

If Ertz and Schultz are going to cost the same, I want the guy entering his prime over the guy who is on the downside of his career.
        Thats for damn sure. Hell I would go higher for Schultz. Just odd to not pay Henry but pay a TE close to the same cash this year .

Just that time of the year where we are all ready for free agency as we on this board all seem to know what needs to be done to fix the team - just hope TelescoStaley have a similar vision

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Thats for damn sure. Hell I would go higher for Schultz. Just odd to not pay Henry but pay a TE close to the same cash this year .

Just that time of the year where we are all ready for free agency as we on this board all seem to know what needs to be done to fix the team - just hope TelescoStaley have a similar vision
          Yeah I totally don't understand the decision not to pay Henry last season. Maybe his injury history made him too much of a risk for a large contract. I don't know. It didn't scare Belichick away.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

The key to the NE offense is getting a true inline TE for a Gronk/Henry type of guy. Base defenses always allocate either a SS or LB to cover them. So, if you have guys like Gronk and Henry, defenses have to use unusual defenses to defend the inline TE, opening up things to the other receivers. Plus, the NE offense is so multiple, they cannot afford to NOT have an all-around player. They have to have players who can block and attack the field, or it limits big pieces of their offense. NE has what amounts to 7 offenses in one, but having a TE who can attack all over the D is one of the keys to making it work.

Gil Brandt makes a point about a better TE, but if you look at ALL of our TE, they did outproduce Schultz. Cook was 564 yds to Schultz (808), and 4 Td to 8. But if you add in Parham, McKitty and Anderson, then it is down to 7 for the Chargers vs 8.

The big question is if the Charger's existing TE is ready to step up or not. McKitty and Anderson are primarily blockers, and while they will add some production and be fair players, neither is going to an elite receiver at TE. So, it is up to Parham as a receiver. Can he turn into a Flex TE who catches a ton of passes or not? I think he can, but that is just a guess since we don't even know if Parham is coming back next season.

Schultz is probably leaving Dallas no matter what. They simply don't have the cap space to sign him to a big deal. The Cowboys could cut Blake Jarwin to free up some cap space at TE, but that will depend on if they think they can keep Schultz. And we won't be the only team bidding for Schultz's services, so he could be quite expensive.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I like the idea of Ertz if Schultz is that high. But hell, Ertz might still be that high. Granted, the cap is all fuzzy math anyway - you can always make numbers work

If Telesco fixes IDL, Edge, CB and RT -- he has a bit of leeway with me
              Schultz is going to command a lot more money. He is a complete player and much younger. He lines up inline and in the slot or out wide. He is a decent run blocker and he has finally developed into a decent receiver. Unlike most other receivers at TE, he is good at it from the inline position, which helps to not tip our hand. I expect he is going to get a contract similar to Henry.

Ertz had a rebirth of sorts in Arizona's spread offense, but his physical skills are declining on the wrong side of 30. He was never a very good run blocker. He was worth a lot of money when he was catching 80-100 catches, but this season he caught 18. Last year was 36. He just isn't worth a big contract and he isn't a starter anymore. If we want to bring him in to be a role player, he might be OK, but only if his contract is small enough. He isn't an answer at TE. Parham is a better option than Ertz. The only thing Ertz has going for him is that he USED to be a decent player.

If we are going to give up on Parham being a #1 TE, then I would rather see us go for a cheaper option via FA. Someone like Hayden Hurst. Not a great player, but would fit our O by being a younger, more athletic version of Cook. But he would still be part of a TE by committee kind of approach.

The other guy I like is Trey McBride. The biggest knock against him is that he is not a great inline blocker, although I think he can get better in that area, but we already have Anderson at FB, and McKitty (good) and Parham (decent) inline blockers. And we have Parham as a red zone compliment, which is the other area McBride isn't great at.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Schultz is going to command a lot more money. He is a complete player and much younger. He lines up inline and in the slot or out wide. He is a decent run blocker and he has finally developed into a decent receiver. Unlike most other receivers at TE, he is good at it from the inline position, which helps to not tip our hand. I expect he is going to get a contract similar to Henry.

Ertz had a rebirth of sorts in Arizona's spread offense, but his physical skills are declining on the wrong side of 30. He was never a very good run blocker. He was worth a lot of money when he was catching 80-100 catches, but this season he caught 18. Last year was 36. He just isn't worth a big contract and he isn't a starter anymore. If we want to bring him in to be a role player, he might be OK, but only if his contract is small enough. He isn't an answer at TE. Parham is a better option than Ertz. The only thing Ertz has going for him is that he USED to be a decent player.

If we are going to give up on Parham being a #1 TE, then I would rather see us go for a cheaper option via FA. Someone like Hayden Hurst. Not a great player, but would fit our O by being a younger, more athletic version of Cook. But he would still be part of a TE by committee kind of approach.

The other guy I like is Trey McBride. The biggest knock against him is that he is not a great inline blocker, although I think he can get better in that area, but we already have Anderson at FB, and McKitty (good) and Parham (decent) inline blockers. And we have Parham as a red zone compliment, which is the other area McBride isn't great at.
                Ertz had 74 catches this season adding both teams. 56 with AZ.

If we sign Schultz then somebody has to go. Whether that is Anderson or Nabors. ...who we never use so likely him.
                It isn't a lot of cap space but it's some and another roster spot for somebody helpful. Actually with or without Schultz Nabors probably needs to go.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Another name to throw into the If-we-don't-re-sign-Mike-Williams ring is a young guy with potential who is coming off an injury in 2021: DJ Chark of the Jags. He had similar numbers - in 2019 - to MW last year and his QB at the time was Gardner Minshew. I gotta believe that he'd do a LOT better with JH throwing him the rock. And he's only 25.

Comment

• equivocation
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2021
                    • Send PM

I love it when people want to upgrade our run defense by drafting players who won't be as good as Jones this year and then also trash Jones. He's a solid defender, which we need more of not less. Upgrade the spot if the money is right. He's probably gonna get $5M or $6M AAV, where some of the other options are gonna be more like $8M AAV.

Do you even know what 'overrated' means?

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Sounds like exactly what Herbert & the Chargers need! This is the kind of FA signings that could make the Chargers better. Id rather have something like this over a Von Miller sort of player signing going forward!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Sounds like exactly what Herbert & the Chargers need! This is the kind of FA signings that could make the Chargers better. Id rather have something like this over a Von Miller sort of player signing going forward!
                        He is young and we need a better TE. Someone like Schultz....and had we kept Henry, we don't have a pic 6 to help seal a game loss because Cook turned the wrong way, and did it again for another INT and had 7 drops.

Schultz has also been durable. Still like to see us sign a couple of DTs as well.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
                          I love it when people want to upgrade our run defense by drafting players who won't be as good as Jones this year and then also trash Jones. He's a solid defender, which we need more of not less. Upgrade the spot if the money is right. He's probably gonna get $5M or $6M AAV, where some of the other options are gonna be more like $8M AAV.

Do you even know what 'overrated' means?
                          This.

Comment

Working...
                          X