• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
    I just don't want to lose Kyzir White to sign "Thomas Davis" or older cheaper veterans. Build a team that can compete for a few years
    ^ This...come on, TT, u have plenty of cap room...here's yer to-do list:

1. Sign a solid FA DT
    2. Let Bulaga go, and sign a solid FA RT
    3. Sign White
    4. At #17, go after BPA among DT, Edge, RT, LB. If we double up between draft and FA, especially on D-line, even better for depth.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

1. Sign a solid FA DT
      3. Sign White
      4. At #17, go after BPA among DT, Edge, RT, LB. If we double up between draft and FA, especially on D-line, even better for depth.
      My thing looking at free agent RTs - the list is kind of underwhelming -- I think Telesco can get RT and CB in the draft by Day 2

But in free agency - if you bring back Jones or sign two solid IDL - that works
      White and Edge (whether thats Nwosu or a guy like Reddick)
      Mike Williams - -if you don't sign him - the money SHOULD go to like caliber player. Maybe Telesco spends more for Reddick and gets a WR like Kirk

My point is - Telesco doesn't need to go bargain hunting and waiting for the first wave - he can be aggressive in terms of finding the right 6 players between his own free agents and external candidates. IF he signs enough of his own guys, as long as they are the RIGHT guys, - he doesn't need to do what Hoodie did last year signing 6 guys on Day 1

Again, I am not beholden to any of the big 4 internal - my guess Telesco signs at least 3 of those guys so that means 3 external bigger names

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

First of all - who the hell is Matt Lombardo

Second of all - one persons idea of "aggressive" might not be the same as another person

I am going to take a wait and see what Telesco does. For me, the Chargers have the cap space for six bigger money players in addition to bringing back Guyton, Parham, Aboushi, Hopkins, Roberts and other cheaper players:

Mike Williams - or another player in the same age range, for the same AAV (15m+)
        Kyzir White, Nwosu and Justin Jones: again, same age range, AAVs ranging from 6-9m

and two external free agents: one in the 10-12AAV range; one in the 6-8 AAV range

So if Telesco doesn't do the above and goes cheaper, Lombardo at least to me, is right. I just don't want to lose Kyzir White to sign "Thomas Davis" or older cheaper veterans. Build a team that can compete for a few years
        Its been said here before;
        after resigning their own players, the Chargers will have around $17 million in fun money to go after other players.

They won't be 'aggressive' unless they fail to resign MDub, White, Nwosu, or Jones......otherwise, they will attempt to patch up holes with Fackrell types,
        & maybe a mid level free agent.

:thumbsup:

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

They might think of skipping on resigning White, hoping that Murray's head is better screwed on this upcoming season, and maybe having Nieman/Obongbimega compete with him. Draft an inside linebacker in rounds 1,3,4 or 5 perhaps (one of Tom Telesco's delights in this world).

Maybe, Devin Lloyd is bap at #17 to the Chargers.....Tranquil's contract is up next year

In that case, Telesco will have around $25 million to spend.

Comment

• WindsorUK
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Windsor, U.K.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

Just an NFL article on some players who should be released...
            Gotcha.
            And I agree... no reason to keep dead weight.
            We need guys that can play.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Its been said here before;
              after resigning their own players, the Chargers will have around $17 million in fun money to go after other players.

They won't be 'aggressive' unless they fail to resign MDub, White, Nwosu, or Jones......otherwise, they will attempt to patch up holes with Fackrell types,
              & maybe a mid level free agent.

:thumbsup:
              17m is a good amount of cap space. They signed Linsley and Feiler for like 12m of cap space last offseason.

thats two very good players. I am not expecting Davante Adams and top tier players for that amount of cap space. But not bargain basement players either

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

17m is a good amount of cap space. They signed Linsley and Feiler for like 12m of cap space last offseason.

thats two very good players. I am not expecting Davante Adams and top tier players for that amount of cap space. But not bargain basement players either
                That was last years cap hit: Feiler + Linsley this year is a $19 million dollar cap hit which escalates in the following years with a significant dead cap hit until 2025 (Linsley)
                & 2024 (Feiler).

You could have squeezed them in this year, but we are one year closer to James/Herbert's new contracts:
                Telesco isn't in to doing that type of thing consistently.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

That was last years cap hit: Feiler + Linsley this year is a $19 million dollar cap hit which escalates in the following years with a significant dead cap hit until 2025 (Linsley)
                  & 2024 (Feiler).

You could have squeezed them in this year, but we are one year closer to James/Herbert's new contracts:
                  Telesco isn't in to doing that type of thing consistently.
                  Hence - you take advantage of the next two years and maximizing the chances of winning. The cap is all BS and mirrors. It can be reworked every single year if its worth it.

If the Chargers want to win - they have to play the game

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Bolt Beat
                    @BB_Chargers

Another NFL exec told @MattLombardoNFL that the Chargers likely won't be aggressive in free agency this offseason.
                    I didn’t realize that another team’s exec knows what we’re going to do.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I do too. And maybe we see the same things but label them differently: a solid RT would be huge; an EDGE opposite Bosa who comes close to his game would be huge; a lock down CB would be huge; an IDL who doesn’t lose 5 yards after the snap would be huge. These are the things we absolutely need to win those close games (an upgrade at WR3 and RB2 would also be, well, slightly less than huge but little? Nah). These are upgrades we need to the level of teams and compete for a SB. We might get one, maybe two if we’re lucky from the draft, but we can’t fill all those needs with the picks we have IMO. TT needs to be a surgeon this off-season in FA, take care of a couple or three of those needs before the draft. Otherwise, 9-8 again and no playoffs.
                      Yes, at least in part. I expect some of the fix to come from 2nd yr experience (coaches and players), player physical and mental improvement.
                      A key FA + a couple decent vets and the right choices with LAC FAs.
                      Solid talent in our 1st 3 picks and some interesting prospects / depth the rest of the draft.
                      Inconsistency on D was our biggest downfall. I'll be shocked if that doesn't improve and we at least make the playoffs.

Comment

• DennisR91
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2021
                        • Send PM

Super Bowl 29 against whiners on roku Pluto nfl network Chanel right now

Comment

• electricgold
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

1. Sign a solid FA DT
                          3. Sign White
                          1st sign DT Sebastian Joseph-Day 2nd. Sign TE David Njoku 3rd. Draft Trevor Penning 4th Consider Leonard Fournette to add as a 1 2 puch with Austin Ek.

& yes Sign White.

Comment

Working...
                          X