Tom Telesco Discussion - Retained for 2023 Season.

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Berserker76
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

I don't hate the guy, but it's time for him to go. A decade with not much to show for it is too little ROI.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
      Time to resuscitate this thread.

I usually refrained from talking about firing this guy.

Right about now it just seems right: it is not working out.

Other than moments, it never has been working out.

This is his 10th year as GM, an 11th year will not bring a change to the results.

Its time to admit the obvious:

barring a miraculous change in performance from this team this year, Telesco needs to go.
      Listen to this man.

A GM should A) produce results or B) face accountability. Yet, it doesn't work like that in Chargerland. I believe Telesco should have 7 games remaining in his career in Los Angeles.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post
        I don't hate the guy, but it's time for him to go. A decade with not much to show for it is too little ROI.
        Not at all,
        but being likable is not a qualification for the job.

If he rolls over, i'll stroke his belly .... but i wouldn't want him to continue in his current position with the organization.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/10/kansas-city-chiefs-assistant-gm-mike-borgonzi-2022-general-manager-candidate/

January 10th, 2022 - A member of the Kansas City Chiefs front office staff could be a hot name in the 2022 general manager hiring cycle. With confirmed general manager vacancies for the Chicago Bears, New York Giants and Minnesota Vikings, our friends at Touchdown Wire detailed the best general manager candidates for the upcoming hiring cycle. Among the candidates listed was Chiefs Assistant GM Mike Borgonzi.

Last offseason, the Chiefs had a pair of candidates who interviewed for positions. Executive Director of Player Personnel Ryan Poles and VP of Football Operations Brandt Tilis were both interviewed for the Carolina Panthers’ GM vacancy. Borgonzi, however, didn’t see much traction in the previous hiring cycle.

Here’s what Touchdown Wire’s Mark Schofield had to say about Borgonzi:
          “Mike Borgonzi’s name is another that keeps cropping up during discussions of potential general managers. A member of the Kansas City Chiefs’ front office since 2009, Borgonzi was promoted to assistant general manger this past season after serving as the team’s director of football operations.

Looking at the moves the Chiefs have made during his time with the organization you can see why Borgonzi’s name pops up during these discussions. You certainly know the names at the top of the drafts, but Borgonzi reportedly played a role in some later-round selections, such as L’Jarius Sneed, Kareem Hunt and Travis Kelce.

Last year’s promotion, and his tenure with the team, is a nod to how the organization views him. But opportunities to take over a franchise do not come around every day.”

Borgonzi has really been Brett Veach’s right-hand man during his tenure as general manager in Kansas City. The two served as Co-Directors of Player Personnel under John Dorsey. It’s easy to see how Borgonzi would be an attractive hire for a team as he’s served under three different front offices in Kansas City, first joining the team back in 2009. He’s seen a lot of growth during his time with the Chiefs, so they’d probably be motivated to keep him if possible.

In his first season as Assistant GM, Kansas City had one of its best draft classes in recent memory. They landed two studs in the second round, with C Creed Humphrey and LB Nick Bolton. The team also managed to find the steal of the 2021 NFL draft in RG Trey Smith.

hvdyatofrvy9fmog1hfh.jpeg
          Chiefs Assistant GM Mike Borgonzi

Comment

• Fleet 1
            TPB Founder
            • Jun 2013
            • Kauai
            • Send PM

Been itching to fire TT for a while now. But the problem is John. John is picking these guys. So football IQ is likely not totally needed. Think John may need to feel like he has some control over these guys. Sean Payton likely tells John to get the fuck out of the draft room. The only way John hires Payton is if the light is shined bright on John Spanos and his managing of the team. TT is a tight buddy with John. You think hes still our GM based on record? Nope. Fans start ripping John enough he just might try and do the right thing and bring in a guy like Payton. And to me...Payton isnt just about coaching and making sure our best player has a winning career...its all the other stuff that comes with him. I think you can hire Payton and he can pick and choose the right GM and everyone underneath that GM. Payton in a way is likely that HC/GM type anyways. I think Payton puts John in a closet. Thats why i want Payton. The proper coaching and player development is a plus for sure though. Not to mention the game prep and in game adjustments. Id even be fine with his former DC running our D. If he gets fired in NO.

I hold back on this stuff because it comes back to bite me more often than not. Even on twitter over the course of this season i have been way down on this team. From the start of the offseason the hype was massively tempered by myself. Even at 5-3 i knew something was broken. Fans on twitter really got after me. lol Now they are all on board with it but still feel sort of cancelled. I dont care its just twitter...but its why i post so much more there than here. The last thing i want is for my TPB community to turn against me for being so down. So i try and stay centered. But im a fan like everyone else. I long time one. "Chargers are still Chargering" You been a fan long enough you can see that most everything being done around this team is fairly superficial. There are times when i wonder if the team is trying harder to build the brand via social media and productions than trying to win or create an environment of winning. I am personally so tired of the players doing skits and social media side work. Players just seem other focused. And Staley himself loves the camera. He loves to hear himself talk. So im also really down on charger social media because i feel it may take players away. It might suggest its ok to take time off and chill. Have fun etc. There seems to be a whole lot of hype around this team. Always. And so much of that is because the Chargers Twitter team is on fire. They do their job better than every other team. But is it too much?

Staley was the great diagnostician. The MD who could see this teams systemic illness/disease and correct it. The sickness remains. Not just the games. Camp. Prep. Practice. In game adjustments. The finer details of playing...all of it sick. STILL!!!!!! Even with so many studs brought in. I dont even feel these players fight for Staley. Chargers still chargering. Do you think Payton watches all the film and can see why this team collapses so easily? I do. So again...its not just about calling the right plays for Justin in game...but his vision that makes him so good. His diagnostic skills.

Hey John....just step aside and let Payton run the show. Just do what he says and you just might look like the football executive you want so desperately to be.

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
              Been itching to fire TT for a while now. But the problem is John. John is picking these guys. So football IQ is likely not totally needed. Think John may need to feel like he has some control over these guys. Sean Payton likely tells John to get the fuck out of the draft room. The only way John hires Payton is if the light is shined bright on John Spanos and his managing of the team. TT is a tight buddy with John. You think hes still our GM based on record? Nope. Fans start ripping John enough he just might try and do the right thing and bring in a guy like Payton. And to me...Payton isnt just about coaching and making sure our best player has a winning career...its all the other stuff that comes with him. I think you can hire Payton and he can pick and choose the right GM and everyone underneath that GM. Payton in a way is likely that HC/GM type anyways. I think Payton puts John in a closet. Thats why i want Payton. The proper coaching and player development is a plus for sure though. Not to mention the game prep and in game adjustments. Id even be fine with his former DC running our D. If he gets fired in NO.

I hold back on this stuff because it comes back to bite me more often than not. Even on twitter over the course of this season i have been way down on this team. From the start of the offseason the hype was massively tempered by myself. Even at 5-3 i knew something was broken. Fans on twitter really got after me. lol Now they are all on board with it but still feel sort of cancelled. I dont care its just twitter...but its why i post so much more there than here. The last thing i want is for my TPB community to turn against me for being so down. So i try and stay centered. But im a fan like everyone else. I long time one. "Chargers are still Chargering" You been a fan long enough you can see that most everything being done around this team is fairly superficial. There are times when i wonder if the team is trying harder to build the brand via social media and productions than trying to win or create an environment of winning. I am personally so tired of the players doing skits and social media side work. Players just seem other focused. And Staley himself loves the camera. He loves to hear himself talk. So im also really down on charger social media because i feel it may take players away. It might suggest its ok to take time off and chill. Have fun etc. There seems to be a whole lot of hype around this team. Always. And so much of that is because the Chargers Twitter team is on fire. They do their job better than every other team. But is it too much?

Staley was the great diagnostician. The MD who could see this teams systemic illness/disease and correct it. The sickness remains. Not just the games. Camp. Prep. Practice. In game adjustments. The finer details of playing...all of it sick. STILL!!!!!! Even with so many studs brought in. I dont even feel these players fight for Staley. Chargers still chargering. Do you think Payton watches all the film and can see why this team collapses so easily? I do. So again...its not just about calling the right plays for Justin in game...but his vision that makes him so good. His diagnostic skills.

Hey John....just step aside and let Payton run the show. Just do what he says and you just might look like the football executive you want so desperately to be.
              You can’t put the top dog in the organization “in the closet”

Your fantasy is analogous to putting Jerry Jones in the closet.

Once these owners are “out”, they aren’t going back.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2021
                • Davis, CA
                • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                • Send PM

Wait until we find out they quietly gave TT a 5 year extension!

Should have been fired when they fired AL.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                  Chargers Hall of Fame
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

THANK YOU FLEET!!! So glad you said the quiet part outloud, "but its why i post so much more there than here. The last thing i want is for my TPB community to turn against me for being so down." This place has become more about others spending time complaining about those of us who see problems with the team (as opposed to simply all of us pointing out the good AND the bad about this team and freely discussing it).

The 5-3 record was a mirage we knew it. A win isn't always a win (if you know what I mean).

Anyway, great to hear your perspective. Your voice needs to be heard more on this forum.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

https://dolphinnation.com/2022/11/17/highly-regarded-dolphins-oc-frank-smith-named-as-candidate-for-coming-hc-cycle-by-nfl-insider/

My HC candidate #2 behind Mike LaFleur is Dolphins OC Frank Smith. He needs no introduction to the people here.

1. Mike LaFleur
                    2. Frank Smith
                    3. Sean Payton

Smith was one of almost two dozen names that Pelissero mentioned for this coming cycle.
                    “Highly regarded in league circles, Smith is in his 13th season as an NFL coach, mostly working with tight ends and offensive line,” wrote Pelissero. “His close relationships with players and role in developing the likes of [Las Vegas] Raiders tight end Darren Waller and [Los Angeles] Chargers left tackle Rashawn Slater speak to his strong personal skills. It’s no surprise he, along with head coach and play-caller Mike McDaniel, have Miami utilizing all its weapons at a high level. Smith’s heavily involved in game planning and with an offensive line that keeps playing better and better.”

Smith has only been with the Dolphins for a few months, as the team hired him in February of this year. In his short time with the organization, he has helped bring Miami’s offense to life.

The Dolphins are averaging a whopping 391.5 yards per contest this season, which ranks third in the NFL. They’re also averaging 25.2 points per contest, which ranks seventh.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kauai
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

You can’t put the top dog in the organization “in the closet”

Your fantasy is analogous to putting Jerry Jones in the closet.

Once these owners are “out”, they aren’t going back.
                      My fantasy huh?

I dont look at the 2 the same. lol Jerry and John are worlds apart. What im trying to say is that all player personnel decisions go through Payton and not John. John can keep his hat...but he needs to do what Jerry does and bring in coaches that have a clue.

I dont think Payton even takes the job without an agreement that he controls it all. Not taking Johns place...just telling him that his decisions on roster/coaching is the end all say all.

Given Johns record...this teams record...i think its a smart move for John.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kauai
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

THANK YOU FLEET!!! So glad you said the quiet part outloud, "but its why i post so much more there than here. The last thing i want is for my TPB community to turn against me for being so down." This place has become more about others spending time complaining about those of us who see problems with the team (as opposed to simply all of us pointing out the good AND the bad about this team and freely discussing it).

The 5-3 record was a mirage we knew it. A win isn't always a win (if you know what I mean).

Anyway, great to hear your perspective. Your voice needs to be heard more on this forum.
                        I agree with all of that. I know who those guys are. Im not oblivious to it. I can feel the chippiness. And when it comes my way? I no likey.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

My fantasy huh?

I dont look at the 2 the same. lol Jerry and John are worlds apart. What im trying to say is that all player personnel decisions go through Payton and not John. John can keep his hat...but he needs to do what Jerry does and bring in coaches that have a clue.

I dont think Payton even takes the job without an agreement that he controls it all. Not taking Johns place...just telling him that his decisions on roster/coaching is the end all say all.

Given Johns record...this teams record...i think its a smart move for John.
                          I agree :cheers:

Comment

Working...
                          X