• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fan1970
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The longer time goes by since those Marty teams the more I respect. Its coaching hiring season in the NFL and you see lists of what somebody wants in a coach.

I want Boss Ross or Marty Schottenheimer. Yes, we all know Marty's playoff record. But we also know he was a teacher of football, his players and teams as the season went on or year over year, got better. Two, attention to detail- the small details add up.

You can talk about being a leader of men, respect in the locker room, analytics, whatever. Give me coaches like Bobby Ross and Marty Schottenheimer and I will give you teams that get better over time. Even if the talent stays the same year over year, those teams would get better.
    I remember right after Bobby Ross took over they here on the plane after a loss. They were having fun & Ross said “why are you happy after a loss?” He turned the attitude of team around.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Los Angeles Chargers at Las Vegas Raiders (+3) | 8:20 p.m. ET Sunday, NBC

Playoff implications: It’s “win and you’re in” for both these teams. The Raiders could already be in before the game kicks off if the Colts and Steelers both lose earlier in the day. Whichever team gets in could be as high as the five seed and as low as the seven seed.

I said at the top that I wasn’t going to go over all the tie scenarios, but this game is the exception. If the Colts lose earlier in the day, the Chargers and Raiders could both get in with a tie. Would they agree to a series of kneeldowns for 60 minutes to ensure that result? Would either coach betray the other’s trust and try to score in the fourth quarter? This has the potential to be the most exciting football game of all time.

Assuming they both try, I have no confidence in picking a winner. The Chargers are the better team, but it’s entirely possible that they end the season by Charger-ing and blow it. I picked them to make the playoffs before the season and want to believe that this team is different. So I’ll stay consistent here.

The pick: Chargers (-3)

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

The longer time goes by since those Marty teams the more I respect. Its coaching hiring season in the NFL and you see lists of what somebody wants in a coach.

I want Boss Ross or Marty Schottenheimer. Yes, we all know Marty's playoff record. But we also know he was a teacher of football, his players and teams as the season went on or year over year, got better. Two, attention to detail- the small details add up.

You can talk about being a leader of men, respect in the locker room, analytics, whatever. Give me coaches like Bobby Ross and Marty Schottenheimer and I will give you teams that get better over time. Even if the talent stays the same year over year, those teams would get better.
        I don’t know if a Bobby Ross or Mary Schottenheimer would last in today’s NFL.

Here’s a good breakdown of the qualities a HC needs in the modern NFL:

Comment

• chargeroo
          Fan since 1961
          • Jan 2019
          • Oregon
          • Retired Manager/Pastor
          • Send PM

I know you are all aware of how the Bolts dominated the raiders while Marty was the coach, but did you know he also dominated them when he was the Chief's coach?
          His Chiefs won 11 of 12 against the raiders - and the raiders were a very talented team back then. He must have been a real talented motivator. Let's hope Staley can match what Marty did.
          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• SBbound
            Casual fanatic
            • Feb 2019
            • Merced/San Diego
            • Send PM

Rivers first start
            Monday night football in Oakland
            Game was 27-0 and it really wasn't even that close

I think Rivers threw 11 times total or was 11 for 16 or something
            A dominant performance.

Let us hope for a repeat and yes, lets hope those words are repeated!
            I was there with my son, it was beautiful. We sat between Raider Elvis and some guy in a gorilla suit, they were very quiet.
            On the way out there was a Raider fan standing on an overturned garbage can yelling, "It's not over!" It was like a scene out of a movie.
            Hopefully SNF in Vegas will be a similar routing.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

https://theathletic.com/3043231/2022...nes-to-follow/
              Marty//Bobby Ross didn't last in the 'old' NFL: they kept on getting fired after 5 - 8 years.

NFL owners didn't like something about them: probably they didn't genuflect to group think sufficiently (which is even more valued today).

Would they have made a good coach in today's NFL? In terms of teaching & preparing players week to week - of course: they would have adapted to rules changes.
              Gruden did all right: he finally changed the Raider's course.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post

Yep, Marty wasn't perfect, but I do miss his attitude. Same with Ross.
                I went to practices back then and what I most liked about Marty was his ability to coach all the positions. He went around and worked on the details he wanted to deliver a quality team effort. I see some of that in Staley & staff.
                I know the work with Schofield, Norton and Pipkins has been very impressive.
                Many doubted Mike W would be productive as the "X".
                I believe the stage is set for the Chargers defense to assert themselves. Most of our D talent will be available and ready to play team D.
                We got this.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

https://theathletic.com/3043231/2022...nes-to-follow/
                  I read that yesterday. I liked the article but I thought the order was wrong. Leadership was pretty high. Lynn was a good leader but come Gameday, his clock and game mgmt were not the best

I still think a person who can "teach football" - meaning both individually and as a group, the players and team get better combined with being able to coach on game day are strengths to have

Granted, like anything, how do you identify if somebody can teach or manage the game

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I went to practices back then and what I most liked about Marty was his ability to coach all the positions. He went around and worked on the details he wanted to deliver a quality team effort. I see some of that in Staley & staff.
                    I know the work with Schofield, Norton and Pipkins has been very impressive.
                    Many doubted Mike W would be productive as the "X".
                    I believe the stage is set for the Chargers defense to assert themselves. Most of our D talent will be available and ready to play team D.
                    We got this.
                    Staley and the coaching staff getting the improvement from the names you mention, Adderley as well -impressive work

I think once Staley gets the defense and the players he needs for his system, look out AFCW and NFL

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I read that yesterday. I liked the article but I thought the order was wrong. Leadership was pretty high. Lynn was a good leader but come Gameday, his clock and game mgmt were not the best

I still think a person who can "teach football" - meaning both individually and as a group, the players and team get better combined with being able to coach on game day are strengths to have

Granted, like anything, how do you identify if somebody can teach or manage the game
                      I disagree. Leadership is the most important because if you lose the players than you’re done. Ask Urban Meyer and Patricia. Players respected Lynn and played hard for him, enough to overcome his conservative and game management issues the first couple of seasons.

Additionally, that’s why there are other things you need on that list.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

I disagree. Leadership is the most important because if you lose the players than you’re done. Ask Urban Meyer and Patricia. Players respected Lynn and played hard for him, enough to overcome his conservative and game management issues the first couple of seasons.

Additionally, that’s why there are other things you need on that list.
                        Fair point.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Need a reminder of how good Rivers was against the raiders? Check this out;
                          Check out highlights of former Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers and his top 10 plays vs the Raiders, courtesy of NFL ThrowbackSUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtub...
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X