Nervous about this one, fellas.

Let Derwin fire you up.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      Regarding the holy roller game - what's it called when a QB throws a pass forward? How could that not have been ruled an incomplete pass? I was at that game and I almost cried. I sat there in my seat for a long time after that game - there weren't many others still there when I left. The sad thing about it was the Chargers hadn't beaten the raiders in a long time and on that day they did but they were cheated out of the win. It still annoys the hell out of me.
      It was my 12th birthday - so you can do the math how old I am now (55). But right, it was a gawd damn forward passed.

The Chargers I think were 1-3 when Coryell got the job. Finished the year I think 9-7 so Corywell went 8-4 (if my facts are straight)
      Game cost them the playoffs

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Let Derwin fire you up.
        I can see why the defense was flat without him in Houston, and why the defense kind of collapsed v the Chiefs at the end of the game. He is really the coach out there, the chief motivator. His intensity might be a bit much for me, and I don't like it when someone invades my personal space (unless I have an intimate relationship with that someone). You can kind of see some of the other players cringe a bit when the gets too intense, same with Coach Staley. But he really does keep those guys motivated and he's a true leader on the field. When other players see his total devotion and constant energy, never taking plays off, it gets infectious. I can understand why he can inspire a defense to play its best and even above itself. Just gotta make sure Derwin stays on the field. His hammy didn't seem to be bothering him Sunday, and I've read nothing about it being a concern in the past few days, so that is good.

There is a clip that was not in this video, I saw it at Chargerspulse on Insta, where Derwin and a few other defenders were on the field before the game, and Drew Lock did a drive-by and said "no picks today" to Derwin. DJ said to the other guys, man that pissed me off let's go get some picks, or words to that effect. He almost did pick Lock on a few plays, but no dice. However, Derwin did flatten Lock on one blitz, and he was penalized for it. But I think Derwin took the shot anyway, knowing he would probably draw a flag, just to let Lock know what's what.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

It is a playoff game, it is nervous time as a fan. I think we should have some confidence as well. We can take these guys no sweat.

Hit Sid early and hit Sid often.
          I like that I am nervous - but in a good way for the game

Beats the hell out of playing in KC in the last game of the season, like last year, with zero on the line except draft positioning. This is a good thing to have anticipation, excitement, maybe nervous for a game.

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Beats the hell out of playing in KC in the last game of the season, like last year, with zero on the line except draft positioning. This is a good thing to have anticipation, excitement, maybe nervous for a game.
            I think every Charger fan wants to see us at least make the playoffs to see how well our bright new shiny toy (Herbert) does there!

:shifty:
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

It was my 12th birthday - so you can do the math how old I am now (55). But right, it was a gawd damn forward passed.

The Chargers I think were 1-3 when Coryell got the job. Finished the year I think 9-7 so Corywell went 8-4 (if my facts are straight)
              Game cost them the playoffs
              It was clearly an incomplete forward pass and should have been whistled dead right there. But Markbreit, the referee, was behind Stabler and did not see it, the ball just came out, and he ruled it a fumble. There was no overturning calls with replay back then. What the officials ruled on the field stood, even if it was clearly a bad call. For years and years Stabler denied intentionally pitching the ball forward, but shortly before his death he finally admitted that he intentionally pitched it forward. Back then, there was no rule against advancing a fumble the way the Raiders did, but it should have been ruled an incomplete pass. Even Markbreit admits that now. The league passed a new rule after the season to prevent it from happening again. Known as the Holy Roller Rule, it specifies that after the two-minute warning, or on 4th down at any time during the game, the only player who can advance a ball that has been fumbled is the player who fumbled it.

Comment

• Caslon
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Chargers, everybody not Wang Chung tonight. Everybody stay home tonight.

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                  Chargers, everybody not Wang Chung tonight. Everybody stay home tonight.
                  well said! =)

Comment

• Charge!
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Send PM

true.... its been a long time since we had a win and you are in game..... sunday is a big day

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

So you think the refs are getting paid to make calls to fix games? Come on, man. Think about what you are saying. You are accusing these refs of being totally corrupt. Do you really believe that? It doesn't sound like you, you seem to be level-headed and reasonable, grounded in reality.

Are refs human? Yes. Do they make mistakes? Absolutely. NFL refs have made egregiously bad calls that we at home can see plain as day were 100 percent B.S. But the refs are down on the field with the players, the action is fast, split second. It's a tough job, and very few people can do it. When you are that close the action with players flying around and everything moving so fast, mistakes are going to be made. But I don't believe for a second that any NFL game has ever been "fixed" by calls referees have made. What would that accomplish? Who is instructing them to "fix" the game? Which referees are involved? People are quick to cry "conspiracy!!!" when something isn't going there way. But most people don't understand that it's very difficult to pull off a bconspiracy. Everything has to go just right, and the people involved or have knowledge of it have to stay silent about it forever, even on their deathbeds. To me, accusing an NFL ref of "fixing" a game is like believing the moon landings were faked

Here is a very brief video about the Holy Roller. The official who called a TD for the Raiders, Jerry Markbreit, talks about it, what happened. Do you believe Markbreit was corrupt and was in on some sort of fix? I don't think you really do at the end of the day.

Obvious grounding penalty.....if called, it would have given the Raiders one last play beyond the 20?

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        Regarding the holy roller game - what's it called when a QB throws a pass forward? How could that not have been ruled an incomplete pass? I was at that game and I almost cried. I sat there in my seat for a long time after that game - there weren't many others still there when I left. The sad thing about it was the Chargers hadn't beaten the raiders in a long time and on that day they did but they were cheated out of the win. It still annoys the hell out of me.
                        Was there as well. It was horrible. And after the game my then girlfriend and some others drove to La to see the Blues Brothers opening for Steve Martin at the universal amphitheater. That place no longer exists, Belushi’s dead and my ex girlfriend’s daughter is a Raiderette!!! I shit you not

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Obvious grounding penalty.....if called, it would have given the Raiders one last play beyond the 20?
                          You are right, it might have been intentional grounding, if called correctly, instead of an incomplete pass. There were 10 seconds left in the game when the play started, so I guess the play would have whistled dead as soon as Stabler pitched if forward, and there might have been time left on the clock to run one more play. But I'm not sure what down it was, and I can't find that information anywhere. if it was 4th down, of course the Chargers would've taken possession of the ball. If it wasn't 4th down, I suppose the Raiders would have been penalized 10 yards with a loss of down, and given time for another play.

Comment

Working...
                          X