• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • electricgold
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

C'mon man. Real Charger fans want to kick the raiders rear, not tie! It's the raiders - Whip them by a bunch! 56-0 would be nice.
    What is everyone talking about a tie for? I think we may be thinking about the wrong thing. Correct me if I am wrong but Isn't it as simple if the Chargers BEAT the raiders WE make the PLAYOFFS!, period If I'm not mistaken I want to take this time to thank Brandon Staley for putting the Chargers in a position to make the playoffs with the final regular season game, that's all we expect and ask for as fans.......However this season has always been about 1 thing and that would be PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like our chances in this game IF we play our game...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

What is everyone talking about a tie for? I think we may be thinking about the wrong thing. Correct me if I am wrong but Isn't it as simple if the Chargers BEAT the raiders WE make the PLAYOFFS!, period If I'm not mistaken I want to take this time to thank Brandon Staley for putting the Chargers in a position to make the playoffs with the final regular season game, that's all we expect and ask for as fans.......However this season has always been about 1 thing and that would be PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like our chances in this game IF we play our game...
      The reason a tie is mentioned is because if the Chargers do end tying the Raiders - they make the playoffs. Both teams will be 9-7-1 but the Chargers own the tiebreaker over the Raiders as they beat them earlier. Also if the Steelers finish at 9-7-1, the Chargers beat them

You are correct that if the Chargers win, they are in the playoffs - but a tie also gets them in. But strategically, the Raiders do not have that option.

And lastly, I want a fifty burger win. I want to blow out the Raiders. But if the Chargers are on their own 10 yard line with 30 seconds to go and its tied, thats where strategy comes in.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The reason a tie is mentioned is because if the Chargers do end tying the Raiders - they make the playoffs. Both teams will be 9-7-1 but the Chargers own the tiebreaker over the Raiders as they beat them earlier. Also if the Steelers finish at 9-7-1, the Chargers beat them

You are correct that if the Chargers win, they are in the playoffs - but a tie also gets them in. But strategically, the Raiders do not have that option.

And lastly, I want a fifty burger win. I want to blow out the Raiders. But if the Chargers are on their own 10 yard line with 30 seconds to go and its tied, thats where strategy comes in.
        Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

But won't have to worry about a tie as primetime Justin HErbert will be rocking and rolling
          bolts - all day!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

Play for the tie at end of regulation, you might watch the raiders win the OT coin flip and march it down to win. Fuck playing for tie. If we are at our own 10 with 10 sec left in OT, ok - kneel not because i want a tie but because the risk of a Raider score exceeds the probability we will score from our own 10 in one play.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Play for the tie at end of regulation, you might watch the raiders win the OT coin flip and march it down to win. Fuck playing for tie. If we are at our own 10 with 10 sec left in OT, ok - kneel not because i want a tie but because the risk of a Raider score exceeds the probability we will score from our own 10 in one play.
              right - there is a strategy involved

if at the end of regulation, i would want the chargers to go for 2 for the win rather than try to do all that in OT

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

The only 'tie and in" scenario for the Chargers is if the Colts lose to the Jags. Colts have a history of not playing well in Jacksonville, If they lose there will be a lot of time for potential collusion, the benefit is keeping the Steelers out of the playoffs, and going in healthy if they decide to bag it with the Raiders. I don't think that will happen, but I do think if there were a tie at the end of regulation after the teams are playing like they should, it will be an epic story if it does end up a tie after OT.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Conspiracies between > 100 people are never kept secret. NFL could suspend or ban individuals once they started identifying culprits and scheme participants. My 2c, who knows. Which of our TPB fellows believes every game is already fixed? Can’t recall …
                  I think the conspiracies involving more than 5 or 10 people are impossible to keep secret! Indeed, I read somewhere that if two teams actually did conspire to create a tie and not play the game to win, the league office has the power to make both teams forfeit. So the Chargers and Raiders tying could actually be a path for the Ravens and Dolphins to get into the playoffs. Any tie between the Chargers and Raiders would have to be absolutely legit. No, I don't think games are fixed. That is ridiculous. Could you imagine Staley participating in fixing games and being involved in cover-ups? Can you imagine Herbert being involved in that? To fix games, the league office, individual franchise owners and their employees, coaches, refs and players would have to be involved and never spill the beans. I know there are people who believe the outcome of games are fixed, but it's obviously absurd.

Now, let's assume the Colts beat the Jaguars. What happens then if the Chargers and Raiders legitimately tie? Who gets in and who doesn't?

Comment

• ChargingBolts
                    Superbowl?
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Los Angeles/Chicago
                    • Send PM

If Chargers lose, Colts lose, Ravens lose, can Chargers still get in?

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargingBolts View Post
                      If Chargers lose, Colts lose, Ravens lose, can Chargers still get in?
                      No. If the Chargers lose the Raiders get in, no matter what else happens.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Rich Bisaccia hoping to have Darren Waller back this week

The Raiders will be in the playoffs if they beat the Chargers on Sunday night and they could have a big piece of their offense back to help make that happen.

The Raiders will be in the playoffs if they beat the Chargers on Sunday night and they could have a big piece of their offense back to help make that happen.

Tight end Darren Waller was nearing a return from back and knee injuries last week when he landed on the COVID-19 reserve list. He wound up missing his fifth straight game as a result, but interim head coach Rich Bisaccia is hopeful that Waller will be able to pick up where he left off before the COVID interruption and make it back onto the field.

“We were hoping to have him back in the walkthrough practice of Wednesday last week, so we are even more anticipating that we have a chance to get him back for this week,” Bisaccia said, via Vic Tafur of TheAthletic.com. “And hopefully if we get him in Wednesday’s practice, he feels a little bit better about how it feels when he moves around, then we’ll be really excited about what Thursday and Friday could possibly look like.”

Waller had 53 catches for 643 yards and two touchdowns before getting hurt and his return would give the Chargers another offensive threat to worry about in the final regular season game of the 2021 season.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

All this silly talk about playing for a tie reminds me of some posters suggesting "losing out" to get a top draft pick...sorry, doesn't work that way...teams play to win...unless u r the 1919 Black Sox...and even then, not everyone on the team was in on the fix...

Comment

Working...
                          X