Chargers New Practice Facility - Big Mistake?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tomdutchy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2021
    • Send PM

Chargers New Practice Facility - Big Mistake?

I think they should have kept it in OC. Even Herbert said he likes the area and it would keep our players away from the debauchery. There's a reason the Rams didn't choose LA.

Growing up in OC, we hate LA, so can sympathize with original SD fans.

The Los Angeles Chargers today announced that the team has reached an agreement with Continental Development Corporation to construct its new corporate headq...

cmon ,.....if you look at the map, its close to SOFI and 5 minutes from Manhattan Beach...ever been to Manhattan Beach? Adjacent to Redondo Beach, and Palos Verdes. One of the primo spots in the entire world. This idea that "LA" is full of debauchery has no basis. The raiders were based in El Segundo for years...I used to go to a really nice Mexican restaurant where they hung out and drank margaritas. Nothing negative about El Segundo other than its close to the plane noise of LAX and there are some oil wells or something offshore. If you watch the video..the layout/plan of that place is amazing. Top of the line. Whats not to like.

I worked in OC for years...sure nice restaurants etc...but the traffic is out of this world. And they are the LA Chargers...not the OC chargers.

I would think the main thing is, its a short drive to SOFI. And I am sure the boys can find some nice condos/apartments on the boardwalk. Its a no brainer.

If this new complex was in San Diego, a similar place would be close to La Jolla.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2021, 06:57 AM.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Can wait to see it up and running in 2024 for fanfests.
      Darius "4.36" Davis
      top play speed: 23.47 MPH

SDP2024: (Triple Play)

Comment

• Tomdutchy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Hupperdoo View Post
        cmon ,.....if you look at the map, its close to SOFI and 5 minutes from Manhattan Beach...ever been to Manhattan Beach? Adjacent to Redondo Beach, and Palos Verdes. One of the primo spots in the entire world. This idea that "LA" is full of debauchery has no basis. The raiders were based in El Segundo for years...I used to go to a really nice Mexican restaurant where they hung out and drank margaritas. Nothing negative about El Segundo other than its close to the plane noise of LAX and there are some oil wells or something offshore. If you watch the video..the layout/plan of that place is amazing. Top of the line. Whats not to like.

I worked in OC for years...sure nice restaurants etc...but the traffic is out of this world. And they are the LA Chargers...not the OC chargers.

I would think the main thing is, its a short drive to SOFI. And I am sure the boys can find some nice condos/apartments on the boardwalk. Its a no brainer.
        Ok I can agree with you about the South Bay. It's like the only place in LA that resembles OC which means it's not Hollywood. Ie Sunset Blvd.

Comment

• Tomdutchy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2021
          • Send PM

Wow. Look st Ruggs. Thst's what I mean about debauchery. Would that have happened in OC or Ventura?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomdutchy View Post
            Wow. Look st Ruggs. Thst's what I mean about debauchery. Would that have happened in OC or Ventura?
            I did not know what the Ruggs reference was so I looked it up. 22 year old millionaire with a Corvette..and it happened in Las Vegas or something. I mean when I was young I rode my 750 Ninja 160 MPH and almost ate it....thats how it goes when you are young..and I suppose having the bucks to buy more horsepower only makes it worse. I am sure a LOT of guys here did the same type of dumb things when they were young....nothing to do with locale.

My only comment is highways and roads are just for passing thru...don't see the correlation to OC or LA or whatever....I suspect you can live in statistically the safest neighborhood in the world and have some bad luck....at which point the stats do not matter. anyway I am done with this post.

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

Probably a better looking overall package when they sell the team.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                Outback Goon
                • Sep 2018
                • Australia
                • Send PM

got the best place for them:

Lightning Ridge, NSW Australia

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

They should have set up their facility in Rough Acres. It worked for their last championship.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

A practice facility increases the team’s net worth. Players don’t. Wins don’t. It was an easy decision.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Maybe I’m being naive but I’m having trouble seeing the negatives and I see a lot of positives to this location. The facility will be small when compared to what other teams have been doing but the real estate prices and availability might’ve been a big factor in that regard. It’s definitely going to be light years ahead to their old place here off the 15 freeway. A short drive from the airport, closer the coast, AND a short drive to their stadium. Plus they’re firmly planting the Charger flag in LA. IDK, it sounds to me like they really did their due diligence in finding a suitable place.

Something else to keep in mind, California is leaning towards downsizing it’s oil industry in the state. Right now we are the 7th largest oil producing state in the country, much larger than most people realize considering the green state reputation. Electric cars are taking over the state and in the next 5 years 5 million of them are projected to be registered here. The state is also investing heavily in electric car infrastructure. But here’s the kicker, unlike in other states, the oil industry is just a drop in the bucket in respect to Californias overall economy. Imagine what the minimizing of that industry would do in that region? Imagine what that would do for property values from huntington beach to santa monica. We’re talking tourist destinations and high end housing like the world has never seen for miles and miles and miles of coastline. Even Long Beach could become the paradise it should be.

So whatever the chargers invested in this facility, they stand to make back in spades within the next ten years let alone 25 years. It sure seems like they are setting themselves up to get top dollar from the sale of the team. It’s on pace with the agreement that dean spanos made with his siblings, something is going to happen in 2024. They either sell the team or they take full control by buying out the rest of the family, IDK.
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Un warranted thread. I dont see a downside and looks like an amazing building they are going to have.

Young and dumb is everywhere. it doesnt matter if you are in Vegas or LA, or New Orleans, etc. Corvettes go 156 MPH anywhere you are at 3:40 AM and drunk......and you are young, dumb and rich.

If this raises the worth of the team and Dean decides to sell..........id be one happy camper. Please sell this team!!

Comment

Working...
                        X