• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

So to could be Rivers...

We will need a QB for more than one year IF we draft Mariotta...
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• G-Money
      Trojan4Life Fight on!
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
      This QB talk is insane. "I'd rather start over with a developmental QB over the elite guy we already have"... said no one ever.
      And send Gates with him... window of opportunity is closed for Rivers and this group. Team has too many holes. Time to rebuild around Mariotta.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
        Take a look at what's going on in Carson and in Oakland. Carson is a bluff and it's slowly falling apart. The Chargers are probably going to keep playing this adversary act until the stadium negotiation is done but then they're going to have to start winning over the public here and that means winning this year. Trading Rivers away shows that they are giving up.

If the Chargers and the city agree on a stadium deal, that means LA is officially dead and Rivers will like that.

I agree with your last sentence. If they move to LA, they can go 0-16 with Mariota or Kellen Clemens for all I care.
        I can't almost imagine a WORSE bluff then Carson. That sight has almost nothing positive about it; and that's coming from people who live there.

I would also not care if they went 0-16 - even WITH Rivers - if they moved out of San Diego. Going to LA, or any other city, and the team is D-E-A-D to me. And my interest in the one, final spectator sport that I follow will probably die along with it. Which might not be a bad thing, given the way in which I allow the silly games to ruin my day.

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

This one just won't go away:

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Well on another note, your still here...

Go Rivers!

Comment

• Kyle
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
              LaCanfora forgets the Chargers can control Rivers for the next 3 seasons with his contract and tags. He ain't going anywhere.
              sigpic

Comment

• Fleet
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Cardiff - Poipu
                • Send PM

If we visit with Winston then ill think this may have legs.

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
                  LaCanfora forgets the Chargers can control Rivers for the next 3 seasons with his contract and tags. He ain't going anywhere.
                  They can control him signing with another team, yes. They can't control him retiring...even if it's premature (in his eyes). He really doesn't need the money. And there are several HOF QBs who don't have a SB ring.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                    Charger Fan till the end
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Carolina
                    • Send PM

I think Philip loves playing the game too much to retire. I just dont see him as the selfish or all about the money type either. Im sure he loves the life hes built in san diego and doesnt want to leave. I expect once the stadium deal is selected it will clear up...or rivers clarifies with the media.

I think its way overblown. A real nonissue. That said, crazier things have happened... Throw a couple #1s and a 2 and a player...maybe it could happen. But at Rivers age I dont quite know if 3-5 years is worth it to a franchise like Tennessee that has too many holes for a push to get to the SB. Dont see any teams except Browns that might do something nuts like that.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
                      I think Philip loves playing the game too much to retire. I just dont see him as the selfish or all about the money type either. Im sure he loves the life hes built in san diego and doesnt want to leave. I expect once the stadium deal is selected it will clear up...or rivers clarifies with the media.

I think its way overblown. A real nonissue. That said, crazier things have happened... Throw a couple #1s and a 2 and a player...maybe it could happen. But at Rivers age I dont quite know if 3-5 years is worth it to a franchise like Tennessee that has too many holes for a push to get to the SB. Dont see any teams except Browns that might do something nuts like that.
                      How is Tenn problems an issue to us? So what if Tenn doesn't think it is worth it. This is about what Rivers is worth to the Chargers. If Tenn is prepared to pay, Washington and some other teams are desperate for a QB, let them check it out. But no matter who might be looking at Rivers, the Chargers set the price. And if they don't like our price too bad. Lost on a lot of these clown sportwriters, Rivers has said he will play this year no matter what. That is an important part of this. Then we can franchise him after that. So we hold his rights, which we can then trade (at a lesser value), but it still gets us through for a couple of years, which is huge.

The question ends up being, Do you think Marriotta is a true franchise QB or not? If you think he can be our Andrew Luck, then this is worth exploring.

The problem I have is that it is not quite the same situation as Luck.
                      1). The Colts had Manning coming off a very serious injury, and in truth while he has played at a very high level, he does appear to be damaged goods (see end of the last 3 seasons).
                      2). Luck was a classic pro style QB who had a lot of experience in a pro style offense. Mariotta is playing in the Oregon style spread (run oriented) that relies on the fact that it is difficult to stop a bunch of fast WR if you have to commit extra defenders to stop the run and can play single coverage all over the field. Mariotta has had a lot of easy throws because that is the design of the offense. He hasn't had to make a lot of throws against an NFL secondary full of players who can all cover and play a lot of different coverages. He is the man against single coverage, but like all college QB (even Luck), he has to step up his downfield accuracy.
                      3). Mariotta is going to have to learn a pro style offense. That means footwork and throwing the ball on time, instead of waiting for his guys to get open. It means not just reading simple coverages, but more complicated coverages to know not just who to throw the ball too, but where to throw it . He is going to have to learn to call plays in the huddle.

The question ends up being, Do you think Marriotta is a true franchise QB or not? If you think he can be our Andrew Luck, then this is worth exploring.

The problem I have is that it is not quite the same situation as Luck.
                      1). The Colts had Manning coming off a very serious injury, and in truth while he has played at a very high level, he does appear to be damaged goods (see end of the last 3 seasons).

2). Luck was a classic pro style QB who had a lot of experience in a pro style offense. Mariotta is playing in the Oregon style spread (run oriented) that relies on the fact that it is difficult to stop a bunch of fast WR if you have to commit extra defenders to stop the run and can play single coverage all over the field. Mariotta has had a lot of easy throws because that is the design of the offense. He hasn't had to make a lot of throws against an NFL secondary full of players who can all cover and play a lot of different coverages. He is the man against single coverage, but like all college QB (even Luck), he has to step up his downfield accuracy.

3). Mariotta is going to have to learn a pro style offense. That means footwork and throwing the ball on time, instead of waiting for his guys to get open. It means not just reading simple coverages, but more complicated coverages to know not just who to throw the ball too, but where to throw it . He is going to have to learn to call plays in the huddle.

4). I don't think Mariotta can come in and run a full blown offense that we have been running. We have to cover up some of his flaws, and be a lot more run oriented. I don't mind the idea in principle, but our run offense was incredibly inconsistent. All it takes is that one play here or there to lose yardage, and we are forcing Mariotta to make a lot of big throws downfield. We were like 29th in our offense being stuffed on running plays, and we were the worst of the passing teams (the others you could afford to just keep run blitzing on because they couldn't throw).

5). A lot of our passing offense doesn't suit a dink and dunk offense that we probably would need to favor. Allen fits fine, and Gates does OK, but Floyd takes time to build speed. Stevie Johnson is kinda a sloppy route runner (which is why he is so much better in the slot). Woodhead also works best running the short routes with the rest of the receivers pushing the D downfield so he can run underneath. I like our receivers with Rivers, not nearly as much with Mariotta.

The reason I think we entertain the thought at all is that Mariotta is the one franchise QB in this draft. I think Winston has a bad habit that cannot be broken. He tends to ignore his reads and just throw were he likes to throw to whoever he wants, not necessarily follow the guy he is supposed to throw to. And I think he makes a lot of bad reads. I am not sure QB who start out make those types of mistakes ever fix that. Like baseball players who swing at bad pitches, they continue to swing at bad pitches throughout their career. A lot of QB who make bad reads continue to make bad reads. While that is not the kiss of death, because Winston is so accurate, but I do think that is a big negative. Mariotta seems to have a great decision making. he just doesn't throw the ball where it can be picked off. And that is what, IMHO, will make all the difference.

Again, it is mostly about what we want in compensation, which should be considerable. If other teams think it is excessive, tough. Let them go out and get a franchise QB of their own.

Comment

• Maverick
                        (Coryellian)
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Point Loma
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                        Connor Cook as well.
                        Cook would be my choice NEXT year as well, if PR really does decide to step away from the game. That said, I hope PR plays at least another 3 years for us though.

Comment

• Boltx
                          Dominate the day
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I think neither Winston or Mariota will amount to much. JMO.
                          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

Working...
                          X