• Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

If you win the players will like you
    Problem is those guys rarely win. And when they lose, it seems the lockerroom gets splintered even faster.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I think Quinn and Macdonald would cost about the same. I rather get Quinn. But I can see people seeing the benefits of a Macdonald as a first timer especially since he’s from a respectable franchise like Baltimore. It would also entirely depend on our what our next GM is looking for also.
      Very good point.

I hope the Chargers follow the Seahawk model - find a 59ish year old college coach and let them find a GM . Harbaugh is the college coach of course

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Very good point.

I hope the Chargers follow the Seahawk model - find a 59ish year old college coach and let them find a GM . Harbaugh is the college coach of course
        That’s a possibility but given the Spanos’s history before this, I unfortunately think they’ll get a GM first before doing a HC search. My hope is that they get one from a winning franchise like the Ravens, Eagles, Niners etc.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

That’s a possibility but given the Spanos’s history before this, I unfortunately think they’ll get a GM first before doing a HC search. My hope is that they get one from a winning franchise like the Ravens, Eagles, Niners etc.
          Yes, they will follow the model of how its been done in the past. The Lions hired Campbell before Brad Holmes and it worked out okay. And I understand usually the GM hires the coach - really not sure why. I personally look at them as more peers actually. But for sure, the Spanii would not deviate from what has worked so well before

Agree though - those three teams are the teams to target: Adam Peters, Joe Horvitz and Alec Halaby

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Yes, they will follow the model of how its been done in the past. The Lions hired Campbell before Brad Holmes and it worked out okay. And I understand usually the GM hires the coach - really not sure why. I personally look at them as more peers actually. But for sure, the Spanii would not deviate from what has worked so well before

Agree though - those three teams are the teams to target: Adam Peters, Joe Horvitz and Alec Halaby
            In a traditional structure, the GM is usually the HC’s boss. It’s rare even today to have it the other way around. Seattle, San Fran, NE, KC, Detroit are the outliers. But you have winning franchises like Philly, GB, Baltimore, Rams etc stick to that format primarily. So I think the point is that it can work either way.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

I think Quinn and Macdonald would cost about the same. I rather get Quinn. But I can see people seeing the benefits of a Macdonald as a first timer especially since he’s from a respectable franchise like Baltimore. It would also entirely depend on our what our next GM is looking for also.
              Ravens are #2 in defensive yards and points allowed. 2022 they were #10 yards/game, #3 ppg. Macdonald is very young 36 but his pedigree shines compared to Staley
              • UGA defensive quality control
              • Ravens Defensive Asst, DB coach, LB Coach 7 yrs
              • UM DC - top 10 defense 1 yr
              • Ravens DC 2 yrs
              That is 9 yrs in a strong Ravens defensive environment. I don’t know if he is the architect and genius of the Ravens defense, don’t really know much about them

I endorse your hopeful adoption of a next GM - I really hope that comes true - 11 yrs is too long to fail to succeed at your job
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

The GM is supposed to be responsible for the org - On paper, the coaching staff reports to the GM - thats why. GM isn’t just player acquisition - “usually”. in too many cases, because the HC is so high profile / generally higher profile than the GM - the owners often can’t help themselves but to interject.

Comment

• bolthead123
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • San Diego
                  • I work in IT.
                  • Send PM

Know how you can tell if you have a bad football team? When it consistently loses close games.

Know how you can tell if you have a bad football coach? If he consistently loses close games.

Know another way to tell if you have a bad football coach? If he goes all Ralph Kramden, waves his players toward the bus after another bad loss, and throws them under it — as Brandon Staley did last week, following yet another stupid, avoidable close loss in Green Bay.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2023
                    • Send PM

I wonder if Marty approved of A.J. Smith's ascension to G.M.

Did Telesco hire McCoy? If not, why bring in the GM first?

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2023
                      • Send PM

Wow! Canepa going for the jugular here:

"For the Judases, it’s both. Fredo Spanos & Sons are cheap and weak, and have hired two good coaches since they bought the team in 1984 — Bobby Ross, who didn’t get along with the GM, and Marty Schottenheimer, who didn’t get along with the GM.

When given a choice — and I don’t know if Fredo ever tried to play marriage counselor to solve those domestic issues — owners are going to keep a good GM over a good coach. Harder to find.
                      "

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

"For the Judases, it’s both. Fredo Spanos & Sons are cheap and weak, and have hired two good coaches since they bought the team in 1984 — Bobby Ross, who didn’t get along with the GM, and Marty Schottenheimer, who didn’t get along with the GM.

When given a choice — and I don’t know if Fredo ever tried to play marriage counselor to solve those domestic issues — owners are going to keep a good GM over a good coach. Harder to find.
                        "
                        Rex breaking down the genius design and teaching of the Staley D … If we all had more All22 tape, we’d have seen it sooner. At least I would have. Staley talks about execution - execution is a result of instruction. He’s a horrible instructor apparently as they crap their pants up with greater regularity than the Metamucil spokesman.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

"
                          Canepa is right

Fredo is incompetent - he is cheap and weak. He just looks weak-minded to me. Acts it too.

Comment

Working...
                          X