• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kellyb72601
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

It's just my opinion but I don't think TT's draft record is bad. IMO it's probably above average in comparison to other GM"s, particularly since they brought Staley on board. Now the coaches are deplorable - ALL of them. They're all incompetent, just in different ways.

Coaching matters . . . . . . . . . . . .
    Telescos drafting is horrible. Worse than his overall record is his philosophy which inherently builds an injury prone finesse team that chargers. Tillery is a perfect example - a 1st round pick on a defensive tackle that doesn't play the run. We need a height, weight, speed GM. Telesco is not that guy. He comes from the Polian school and I warned people about this when he was hired. He drafts short arm undersized linebackers, safeties that can't tackle, etc. Even worse is at some point he decided to beat the chiefs the team needed to become even more finesse oriented and we still can't beat the chiefs and get run all over by everyone else. If you want to stop chargering a change in philosophy towards more fundamentally sound players is in high order.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

Telescos drafting is horrible. Worse than his overall record is his philosophy which inherently builds an injury prone finesse team that chargers. Tillery is a perfect example - a 1st round pick on a defensive tackle that doesn't play the run. We need a height, weight, speed GM. Telesco is not that guy. He comes from the Polian school and I warned people about this when he was hired. He drafts short arm undersized linebackers, safeties that can't tackle, etc. Even worse is at some point he decided to beat the chiefs the team needed to become even more finesse oriented and we still can't beat the chiefs and get run all over by everyone else. If you want to stop chargering a change in philosophy towards more fundamentally sound players is in high order.
      I get the Spanii are in the building but Telesco is the GM - so he can take the fall

the record shows he is a below average GM. He was gifted Rivers - failed him; he has Herbert now, -- we shall see

He can be fired yesterday

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I get the Spanii are in the building but Telesco is the GM - so he can take the fall

the record shows he is a below average GM. He was gifted Rivers - failed him; he has Herbert now, -- we shall see

He can be fired yesterday
        Not all Telesco but That’s why the Chargers can’t be linked to other woebegone franchises. They’ve had Brees, Rivers and now Herbert in succession. Teams like the Brown meanwhile have gone thru 20+ starting QBs in that time. If it’s a QB league and we’ve had top performers at that position our failure to capitalize becomes more glaring.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Not all Telesco but That’s why the Chargers can’t be linked to other woebegone franchises. They’ve had Brees, Rivers and now Herbert in succession. Teams like the Brown meanwhile have gone thru 20+ starting QBs in that time. If it’s a QB league and we’ve had top performers at that position our failure to capitalize becomes more glaring.
          I think a good way to evaluate a team is take the starting QB off the team and how many games would they win? Belichik went 11-5 with Matt Cassell. The Chiefs were a 10 win team with Alex Smith and still play winning football when Mahomes goes down. The Cowboys last year went 3-1 with Cooper Rush. San Francisco seems to lose their starter every year & still wins games. Seattle won 9 or 10 games with Geno. Tomlin won 9 or 10 games with Duck Hodges & Mason Rudolph playing QB. Meanwhile Polian's Colts went 2-14 without Peyton Manning and we hired Telesco from that team lol What would our record be without Herbert? Probably 2-14 and it shouldn't be a surprise because that's what he proved would happen coming from that Indy staff.

The next GM should come from a program with a history of building solid ROSTERS that win games even without elite QB play. There needs to be a massive emphasis on solid fundamental football throughout the organization - blocking, tackling, special teams, ball security, protecting the QB, stopping the run up front - that's what's missing from this team and that's why they find ways to charger.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

I think a good way to evaluate a team is take the starting QB off the team and how many games would they win? Belichik went 11-5 with Matt Cassell. The Chiefs were a 10 win team with Alex Smith and still play winning football when Mahomes goes down. The Cowboys last year went 3-1 with Cooper Rush. San Francisco seems to lose their starter every year & still wins games. Seattle won 9 or 10 games with Geno. Tomlin won 9 or 10 games with Duck Hodges & Mason Rudolph playing QB. Meanwhile Polian's Colts went 2-14 without Peyton Manning and we hired Telesco from that team lol What would our record be without Herbert? Probably 2-14 and it shouldn't be a surprise because that's what he proved would happen coming from that Indy staff.

The next GM should come from a program with a history of building solid ROSTERS that win games even without elite QB play. There needs to be a massive emphasis on solid fundamental football throughout the organization - blocking, tackling, special teams, ball security, protecting the QB, stopping the run up front - that's what's missing from this team and that's why they find ways to charger.
            I think this is my biggest complaint if you will of the Telesco era. And I get he has had many coaches, many DCs, many styles of defense - but there had not been this type of defense that carries over from coach to coach. No consistency in the style of defense, the players, etc. I get the feeling he looks at the player and doesn't take into account if that player fits a scheme or not. Like this current Defense, I think both Bosa and Mack are listed as DEs. Well for me, one of them should be listed as a LB and have a true DE - almost like playing a five man front The defense needs a DE like Brent Keisel of Aaron Smith to do the damn dirty work with the DTs so that Bosa and Mack can have a free run at the QB

But either way, what has been the identity of a Tom Telesco defense?

And you are right - he came from Polian and that was all Peyton Manning

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I think you're overestimating how much the Spanos clan cares about public opinion. Now if the team starts losing VALUE due to their record - I do believe thy care about that. Everything else - not so much. They run the Chargers like a business - not a sports club dedicated to winning
              they go through great lengths to draft players that they feel are squeaky clean off the field often times to the teams detriment on the field, at least in terms of acquiring the absolute best players...that by itself leads me to believe that they do care about public opinion...and I've been saying it for years that they TRY to run the team as a business, it's just that Dean is not the great business man that he imagines himself to be...
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

they go through great lengths to draft players that they feel are squeaky clean off the field often times to the teams detriment on the field, at least in terms of acquiring the absolute best players...that by itself leads me to believe that they do care about public opinion...and I've been saying it for years that they TRY to run the team as a business,it's just that Dean is not the great business man that he imagines himself to be...
                Dean Spanos as a business person could not have sold ice slurpees and water in Death Valley this summer when it was 130 degrees
                He comes across as as dense, obtuse, zero business acumen. ZERO. He was gifted the team as he was the oldest child. He hired Mark Fabiani, Mariah Carey's PR person to handle the stadium in San Diego when he had one of the most well-conected people in the NFL on his staff in his building! He once mentioned he would be happiest opening a burger joint in Aspen. I say sell the team and don't let the door hit your backside on the way out of town.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

I think this is my biggest complaint if you will of the Telesco era. And I get he has had many coaches, many DCs, many styles of defense - but there had not been this type of defense that carries over from coach to coach. No consistency in the style of defense, the players, etc. I get the feeling he looks at the player and doesn't take into account if that player fits a scheme or not. Like this current Defense, I think both Bosa and Mack are listed as DEs. Well for me, one of them should be listed as a LB and have a true DE - almost like playing a five man front The defense needs a DE like Brent Keisel of Aaron Smith to do the damn dirty work with the DTs so that Bosa and Mack can have a free run at the QB

But either way, what has been the identity of a Tom Telesco defense?

And you are right - he came from Polian and that was all Peyton Manning
                  You got that wrong. They are listed and play OLB not DE. It should be the other way around. Both Bosa and Mack have played DE at very high levels.
                  Our personnel up front is better suited for the 4/3 with Mack/Bosa as DEs. Except that we don't have a strong LB core. Last week there were plays where
                  Mack or Kendricks were covering Hill. Really stupid scheme.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

You got that wrong. They are listed and play OLB not DE. It should be the other way around. Both Bosa and Mack have played DE at very high levels.
                    Our personnel up front is better suited for the 4/3 with Mack/Bosa as DEs. Except that we don't have a strong LB core. Last week there were plays where
                    Mack or Kendricks were covering Hill. Really stupid scheme.
                    thanks for the clarification

So in essence the Chargers play with 2 DTs, 2 LBs, Bosa and Mack and 5 DBs?

I would do whatever defense allows Bosa and Mack to be the best Edge Rushers they can be

Comment

• AK47
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

thanks for the clarification

So in essence the Chargers play with 2 DTs, 2 LBs, Bosa and Mack and 5 DBs?

I would do whatever defense allows Bosa and Mack to be the best Edge Rushers they can be
                      I only have 4 words for the Chargers defense the rest of the season.

Let you nuts hang!!!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        JH3 and Me
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                        Don't they realize the team would be infinitely more valuable if they spend money on proven coaches? Give John a token title of whatever and just pay him to stay away from the facilities and watch the money flow in.

Like what more could they ask for? Is it really THAT important for them to feel like they actually had a hand in picking talent? Narcissistic sociopaths.
                        Thats like a rich hack guitarist built a studio, bought the equipment, hired song writers, and recruited pro musicians to play in his new band. Then the band tries to tell him to keep sending the money but stop playing and go home. uh no.

John Boy loves this shit, he an't going nowhere. Nobody is giving John token titles, John is deciding his title and role himself. He set up his role to have someone else responsible/accountable. We are gonna Ride or Die with Our Man John.

Dean is a fucking putz who can't even work out a marketing deal, I don't think he's even involved with the team at a functional level anymore.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

It will be interesting to see what Belichick cooks up to slow down Miami's offense Sun night. I don't think the Patriots will win that game, but I also don't think Miami will have 536 yards of offense against Belichick. He's not going to let the game become a Tyreek track meet like Staley did.

Comment

Working...
                          X