• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eurobolt
    *** Jim Harbaugh ***
    • Sep 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    This guy wanders far afield from the subject matter at times, but he drives home the point: Why pay Justin Herbert all that money then go cheap on the head coach?

Answers below:

Coaches, executives, and other staff members do not count against the NFL salary cap. While head coaches like Bill Belichick and Sean Payton reportedly earn $20 million or more per year, that money is not factored into the salary cap equation​

While the NFL has a salary cap, it also has a salary floor, so teams cannot hold onto money in perpetuity. Teams must spend at least 89% of the cap over a four-year period, while the NFL as a whole must spend at least 95% of the cap.​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

Now the next question is. If Staley were to be out and Moore in as HC. Do you let Ansley take over as DC or bring in a vet who has had success and simplify the D like a Mike Zimmer?
      That would be entirely up to Moore...it would be his hire...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Of course they would keep Moore - he is cheap

They would probably keep Telesco too
        I called this scenario when they hired Moore, cheap, hungry, wants to work with herbert, and will be okay letting charger ownership call the shots, he's perfect, LOL!
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Staley said JCJ was “not very good” on Sunday. He went on to say that nobody in the secondary had a good game. True. When one or two guys play poorly you can look at the players but when everybody plays poorly you have to look at the coach. Year 3 of Staley’s tenure and the defense is getting worse not better.
          Staley had me fooled when they hired him, great story, articulate, professional, squeaky clean, etc...I mean what's not to like? But despite how much belief he has in himself, he is not a leader of men, that much is perfectly clear to me and I've been out on him since halfway through his first year, I do like some of the team building and the positive influence he's had on the draft, but he'd be a better GM in my opinion...

Comment

• Caslon
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

I didn’t listen all the way thru on that podcast, sorry. Was being cheap a factor in hiring Staley? Was it first on their minds? How much net worth do they have if you deduct the dollar value of their franchise? How does Staley rank in salary compared to other HC’s ?

Comment

• SuperCharged
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Utah
              • Midnight Toker
              • Send PM

All I know is that Staleys seat is smouldering right now. He better do something. Especially with his swiss cheese defense.

I hope he can get this defense turned around quick if not this season will be in flames just like his seat.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Staley had me fooled when they hired him, great story, articulate, professional, squeaky clean, etc...I mean what's not to like? But despite how much belief he has in himself, he is not a leader of men, that much is perfectly clear to me and I've been out on him since halfway through his first year, I do like some of the team building and the positive influence he's had on the draft, but he'd be a better GM in my opinion...
                I was on the Daboll wagon
                when i first heard the news, I didn't like the hire
                I drank the kool-aid
                I thought from y1 to yr 2 he would improve as a coach

he is a lot of talk
                the defense has gotten worse under him - even with the same talent - they should get better

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

How can Jets HC Robert Saleh turnaround the Jets defense in one year - #2 ranked defense in the NFL - and Staley has set NFL records with his defense for collapses and all-time offensive yardage in year 2 + 3?

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I was on the Daboll wagon
                    when i first heard the news, I didn't like the hire
                    I drank the kool-aid
                    I thought from y1 to yr 2 he would improve as a coach

he is a lot of talk
                    the defense has gotten worse under him - even with the same talent - they should get better
                    that's an understatement, his defenses have been historically bad...and for Pete's sake! he's considered a defensive genius, wow!

Comment

• AFboltfan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2018
                      • Balboa Park bench
                      • Medical Simulation
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post

Answers below:

Coaches, executives, and other staff members do not count against the NFL salary cap. While head coaches like Bill Belichick and Sean Payton reportedly earn $20 million or more per year, that money is not factored into the salary cap equation​

While the NFL has a salary cap, it also has a salary floor, so teams cannot hold onto money in perpetuity. Teams must spend at least 89% of the cap over a four-year period, while the NFL as a whole must spend at least 95% of the cap.​
                      I've been saying this for years... But the problem is now its in fashion to "discover" the young hot shot HC which started with McVay... The Chargers stumbled onto the trend but have not mastered it after 2 other failed attempts after Norv.

Spanos is just cheap... This current HC trend will not change that.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                        How can Jets HC Robert Saleh turnaround the Jets defense in one year - #2 ranked defense in the NFL - and Staley has set NFL records with his defense for collapses and all-time offensive yardage in year 2 + 3?
                        Saleh would've been a great hire, he was the coach I wanted over Daboll, I didn't even have Staley on my radar...Herbert with Saleh's defense would have these charger contending for real...another reason why not grabbing Saleh was a major fuck up was Saleh's connections to the shanahan offensive coaching tree, they really fucked up when they didn't sign Saley...I was wrong about Daboll he turned out to he a good coach too, but damn...Saleh was tailor made for this team, he was exactly what they needed...

this is why it doesn't really matter if the chargers have a franchise QB or not, these owners can't get out of their own way...it's hopeless as long as these people own the team...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Saleh would've been a great hire, he was the coach I wanted over Daboll, I didn't even have Staley on my radar...Herbert with Saleh's defense would have these charger contending for real...another reason why not grabbing Saleh was a major fuck up was Saleh's connections to the shanahan offensive coaching tree, they really fucked up when they didn't sign Saley...I was wrong about Daboll he turned out to he a good coach too, but damn...Saleh was tailor made for this team, he was exactly what they needed...

this is why it doesn't really matter if the chargers have a franchise QB or not, these owners can't get out of their own way...it's hopeless as long as these people own the team...
                          I on the other hand missed on Saleh but Daboll - had a good feeling

as for Staley - I just htink his inexperience and not going through some up and downs - has been to his detriment.

as for the Spanii - I truly think they don't care about winning.... its not a big deal to them
                          The new Suns owner is so different from the old Suns owner - guy is spending the cash - he wants to win. Its been a breathe of fresh air

Comment

Working...
                          X