Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

xenos- Thanks for sharing. Good interview.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

So Herbert is all we have. Got it.
        I seem to detect a lack of respect for the rest of the players and coaches.
        At quarterback? Yes, most likely, unless Stick or Duggan becomes Kurt Warner.

I like the hire of Moore, but if Herbert goes down Moore doesn't have the talent in the backfield to win games running the football. He was able to do it in Dallas because he had Tony Pollard and Zeke Elliott, along with being helped by a defense led by Micah Parsons, the best player in the game. Our running game and defense would have to improve tremendously to go 9-8 with Stick or Duggan at quarterback for a significant period of time.

Maybe Spiller will make that jump, and our defense will get a lot better with the draft picks, addition of Kendricks, J.T. Woods becoming a reliable starter, and a triumphant return by J.C. Jackson. That's a lot to ask, though.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

At quarterback? Yes, most likely, unless Stick or Duggan becomes Kurt Warner.

I like the hire of Moore, but if Herbert goes down Moore doesn't have the talent in the backfield to win games running the football. He was able to do it in Dallas because he had Tony Pollard and Zeke Elliott, along with being helped by a defense led by Micah Parsons, the best player in the game. Our running game and defense would have to improve tremendously to go 9-8 with Stick or Duggan at quarterback for a significant period of time.

Maybe Spiller will make that jump, and our defense will get a lot better with the draft picks, addition of Kendricks, J.T. Woods becoming a reliable starter, and a triumphant return by J.C. Jackson. That's a lot to ask, though.
          1. I believe in Herbert. Talent and brains. A top QB. Great guy. Very glad we have him.
          My theory is that we'll play much better Defense and that Moore can do nearly as well 9-8 with this offense with a backup at the helm as Lombardi did with injured Herbert, the NFL's worst run blocking and minus several OL/ WR players at times. 10-7

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

This talk of how the Chargers would do if Herbert isn’t available is blasphemous.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

1. I believe in Herbert. Talent and brains. A top QB. Great guy. Very glad we have him.
              My theory is that we'll play much better Defense and that Moore can do nearly as well 9-8 with this offense with a backup at the helm as Lombardi did with injured Herbert, the NFL's worst run blocking and minus several OL/ WR players at times. 10-7
              With all of the bolded issues above, it's kind of amazing that Herbert was 2nd in the NFL in passing yards, 8th in TD passes an had 5 game winning drives (could have been 6 if the D held against the Chiefs). With some health on the line and Herbert staying upright, I expect Herbert is firmly in the NFL MVP talk at the end of the season.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

With all of the bolded issues above, it's kind of amazing that Herbert was 2nd in the NFL in passing yards, 8th in TD passes an had 5 game winning drives (could have been 6 if the D held against the Chiefs). With some health on the line and Herbert staying upright, I expect Herbert is firmly in the NFL MVP talk at the end of the season.
                Agreed. Which is why I expect a playoff run with the 2023 Chargers. The 2022 #13 scoring offense is history. TOP 5 or better. @30 PPG.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                  This talk of how the Chargers would do if Herbert isn’t available is blasphemous.
                  I feel your pain. Someone brought up this team is a 9-8 team and I replied we'd do that well with a backup QB.
                  Neither is expected.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                    It would be nice if we had a reasonably competent backup QB . . . . . . . . . a guy who might be able to get you a .500 record (or close) in the games he has to play in.

What do you lean on when you have an average or below average QB?

Running game
                    Defense

What are the major weaknesses of the team?

Running game
                    Defense

If Herbert goes down we're cooked as a competitive team - pure and simple.

Comment

• Eurobolt
                      *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Send PM

I was reding the forum a lot over last week (as I sprained my ankle...) And I agree it is a year of flip, coach flip !

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

It would be nice if we had a reasonably competent backup QB . . . . . . . . . a guy who might be able to get you a .500 record (or close) in the games he has to play in.

What do you lean on when you have an average or below average QB?

Running game
                        Defense

What are the major weaknesses of the team?

Running game
                        Defense

If Herbert goes down we're cooked as a competitive team - pure and simple.
                        Duggan can do it with Moore and a competent run game. Our receivers are no slouch either and Duggan has familiarity with some of them. Plus Duggan is the RB we didn't draft. LOL!
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Duggan can do it with Moore and a competent run game. Our receivers are no slouch either and Duggan has familiarity with some of them. Plus Duggan is the RB we didn't draft. LOL!
                          The same Duggan that got eaten up by Georgia in the championship game?? Let's be reasonable here; Duggan MAY be a good QB someday - he certainly won't be even an average NFL QB if he has to play in his rookie season, and his running ability won't fool NFL defenders, because they won't fear the passing game, and he's not Lamar Jackson.

We will NOT have a competent running game - or anything even close to that - without the fear of a competent passing game, which we will not have if JH goes down. NFL defenses will know we HAVE to run to protect our rookie QB, and we're not good enough to be successful running the ball under those circumstances.

You can delude yourselves if you like, but without JH we're a 5 win / year team (as currently constructed). The same could be said for KC as well - without Mahomes. That's why QB's get paid so much money - because they affect the game more than anyone else.

Let's just all pray that Herbert stays healthy all year . . . . . . . . this is the real reason the referee's allow so much offensive holding - so the owner's big ticket expenditures stay on the field, and not in the hospital, and the NFL gets to show off their marquee players . . . . . . . and generate more advertising revenue. Nobody benefits by having Mahomes / Herbert / Burrow / Rodgers / Jackson / Allen et al on the sidelines (except the teams they happen to be playing), certainly not the league.

Comment

Working...
                          X