Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    JH3 and Me
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
    Clearly Steichen went to the Eagles.
    Staley's 1st choices were Mike McDaniel, Kevin O'Connel, Nathaniel Hackett. https://theathletic.com/4101751/2023...e-coordinator/.
    This board was faaaaaaar from unanimous that Steichen was a genius, or that he was the next coach prodigy to hang on to at all costs. A lot thought he basically ran a clone of the Whiz offense. Its nice to see him succeeding so far ...
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      JH3 and Me
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      https://www.joebucsfan.com/2023/05/y...a-quarterback/

Interesting discussion about whether a head coach from a defensive background can develop young QB talent. Alex Smith was on Sirius radio talking about it.

“There is a different mentality, from my career, when you play for an offensive head coach that wants to light up the scoreboard and outscore the opponent. There’s a different mentality you have, especially as a young quarterback versus a defensive head coach, when really the [coach’s] mentality is ‘Hey, don’t screw up, don’t turn the ball over, don’t put us in a bad situation.’ … That’s a huge difference in a mentality and a mindset for a young quarterback, especially if it’s a bit rocky to start.”

Smith got personal when it came to the New York Jets, with defensive-guru head coach Robert Saleh, and their failings with first-round pick Zach Wilson at quarterback.

“Yeah, Robert Saleh, you’re a great defensive mind and coordinator, but like you have no idea how to develop a quarterback. The coordinator you hired never called plays. So that’s a completely different animal. And as much as you think you’re prepared to handle that development of a young kid, you’re just not.”

Smith started his career with the 49ers and his head coach was Mike Nolan. I can see where Nolan would adopt that attitude toward a rookie QB - be careful and don't screw up. We've had this discussion before, whether Staley is the right choice to be Herbert's head coach. Staley has zero experience with NFL offenses. But his attitude toward young QBs is not a dour as Nolan probably was when Smith was a rookie. Staley is not conservative and wants an offense that will push the ball down the field, and take risks doing so. He's got that mindset in an OC with Moore. But it doesn't change the fact that he has head coach has absolutely no experience playing on or coaching an NFL offense, and one still has to wonder if that has been detrimental to Herbert's development.
      well, someone stunted the fuck out of Alex Smith - he has every reason to search for answers

shocked canadian GIF by CBC

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

IF you listen to the words he says, and disregard his performance . . . . .
        His version of coachspeak makes me a little nauseous, bores me to sleep.
        I enjoyed the top 10 pass D.
        Can't wait to see our starters vs Mia Sep 10.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

This board was faaaaaaar from unanimous that Steichen was a genius, or that he was the next coach prodigy to hang on to at all costs. A lot thought he basically ran a clone of the Whiz offense. Its nice to see him succeeding so far ...
          Steichen definitely had some fans here but there were an awful lot of posters who were happy he was gone.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            JH3 and Me
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Steichen definitely had some fans here but there were an awful lot of posters who were happy he was gone.
            that is my recollection as well. I didnt think he was a genius - in hindsight i think I under-evaluated him but its a complete historical rewrite to say letting him go was the most obvious blunder in history.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

It doesn’t matter what posters at TPB think when determining whether something was the right or wrong decision.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

that is my recollection as well. I didnt think he was a genius - in hindsight i think I under-evaluated him but its a complete historical rewrite to say letting him go was the most obvious blunder in history.
                History is literally written with the benefit of hindsight

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

His version of coachspeak makes me a little nauseous, bores me to sleep.
                  I enjoyed the top 10 pass D.
                  Can't wait to see our starters vs Mia Sep 10.
                  I think his 'coachspeak' is his best attribute . . . . . . .

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

It’s how he got the job.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

It’s how he got the job.
                      Clearly . . . . . . . .

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

LOL! Not IMO.
                        Being the Defensive Coordinator of LAR's #1 D was the top selling point.
                        Add the fact that he interviewed for and secured 10 previous coaching jobs, 3 of them in the NFL
                        and it's safe to say he has superior skills at "interviewspeak".

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          JH3 and Me
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Don’t discount the possibility he might just be a good coach. He’s gonna shock the world in 2023 and all yee who doubt shall eat thine crow unplucked. What year is this?

YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X