• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I agree with Lefty. We have enough good players to be a very good defense but we aren't - it's got to be the coaching.

Along those lines, I've noticed that many years KC starts the season with a leaky defense and they keep getting better as the year goes on. They have a very good DC - and that's what we need. Our players can do the job with the right coaching/scheme. Here's hoping the new DC is the man for the job.
    It does seem like KC starts out their seasons a bit ragged on defense - their offense tends to carry them through these lulls. Their defense does get better as the season wears on. I'd like to be able to do the same . . . . .

Comment

• rensoul
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

That's a nice story. Mack is still a quality edge not top 10 last year. KVN utility LB ,Fox 2nd string 3T.
      Bosa in 1st game after projected "season ending" injury was a liability. The Fab Four had some pressure in 1st half. Age, injury and stupidity(Bosa) erased them in 2nd half. Who blew up plays consistently like Chris?
      Ok, so instead of actually examining the coaching you are going to downgrade the personnel again. So Mack/Bosa/Van Noy/Fox isn't good enough the team also needs an all pro DT to succeed or at least have a top 20 defense? Hahahaha.

The better question is who else does KC have on the defensive line besides Chris Jones? A rookie in Karlaftis, some other mid DT's, a close to mid 30's Carlos Dunlap and a rotational former 5th round pick in Mike Danna. Somehow they managed to get 55 sacks out of their team in 2022. That is 15 more than the Chargers defense had.

Instead of degrading the personnel it might be a bright idea to examine the coaching differences. Spags disguises coverages and also is known to play a lot of press man and blitzes regularly. It is an aggressive scheme, an aggressive scheme helps cover up deficiencies in the personnel. And he actually knows how to make half time adjustments.

Comment

• DennisR91
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

It does seem like KC starts out their seasons a bit ragged on defense - their offense tends to carry them through these lulls. Their defense does get better as the season wears on. I'd like to be able to do the same . . . . .

that’s by design

they do the same thing on the level of gameplanning. By third and fourth quarter the game plan is effective and only minor adjustments need to be made. They design it that way.
        someone needs to hire spagnuolo away from them also. Don’t know why none broadcasters have announced spagnolo as the best available dc

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

That's a nice story. Mack is still a quality edge not top 10 last year. KVN utility LB ,Fox 2nd string 3T.
          Bosa in 1st game after projected "season ending" injury was a liability. The Fab Four had some pressure in 1st half. Age, injury and stupidity(Bosa) erased them in 2nd half. Who blew up plays consistently like Chris?
          On what do you base this? If you are referring to numbers, why not then elevate Fox to level 1 or 2 status as pass rushing 3T instead of a 2nd string banana.
          And Kyle Van Noy was really coming on those last 8 games providing pressure ...... his first 8 -9 games you can pretty much ignore.

Are you John Spanos commencing your offseason contract negotiating stance? Is that why you are giving them all a thumbs down?

How often did you see Derwin blitz (who is pretty good at it btw) in the 2nd half?

There is a reason why they suddenly didn't get pressure in the 2nd half:
          It was Staley's patented deer in the head lights 2nd half can't make adjustments at this time moment.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

If Bosa was such a liability why was he playing? Is Bosa on one leg more effective than a healthy Rumph? It's really not rocket science.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Actually, I thought they didn't get pressure that 2nd half
              because Staley opted for the linemen to push in the pocket instead of trying to get penetration.
              It was a conservative approach (Staley's hallmark, aside from the ill advised 4rth down gambles)
              to trying to milk a big lead that only served to get the Jacksonville offense going.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

That has been traditionally true with Spagnoula's defenses.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

If Bosa was such a liability why was he playing? Is Bosa on one leg more effective than a healthy Rumph?It's really not rocket science.
                  Rumph was struggling with an MCL Was he active for that game?.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Rumph was struggling with an MCL Was he active for that game?.
                    I thought he was healthy for that game . . . .could be wrong though.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

I agree with Lefty. We have enough good players to be a very good defense but we aren't - it's got to be the coaching.

Along those lines, I've noticed that many years KC starts the season with a leaky defense and they keep getting better as the year goes on. They have a very good DC - and that's what we need. Our players can do the job with the right coaching/scheme. Here's hoping the new DC is the man for the job.
                      What difference is the new DC going to make if Staley is still calling the D?

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

What difference is the new DC going to make if Staley is still calling the D?
                        I even wonder why he wanted a DC? If he's calling the defense, what does his DC do?
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

I even wonder why he wanted a DC? If he's calling the defense, what does his DC do?
                          That question comes up a lot. It's obvious that I don't know what Ansley will do for HC Staley.
                          My guess:
                          1. Whatever he's told.
                          2. Play calling in a framework designed primarily by Staley and per game by both.

Realistically, we have to wait & see. Right now it's just talk & rumor.

Comment

Working...
                          X