• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Agreed - Moore will (hopefully) ignite the offense. Now let's see how we manage FA, the cap, and the draft.
    Yes.
    OC Moore, QB Coach Doug Nussmeier, ILB Coach Jeff Howard, QC coach Robert Muschamp join the rest of Staley's staff in a timely way to help review personnel decisions and help set up the draft board.
    This off-season is a major part of advancing in the 2023 playoffs, or not.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Are you serious ?
      I see you avoided highlighting the losing to a green team part.
      So, you are still playing the devastated by injuries number, or you question the vets?

Key vets: Keenan Allen, Kyle Van Noy, Ekeler, Linsley, Mack,.... you can even put Derwin there.
      Compare that with what Jacksonville had .......

Mostly intact: missing Slater, Mdub (due to the idiot playing him the week before), ...... no drop off between Fehoko/Fox and Austin Johnson/Otito.

Losing Davis hurt, no doubt ...... it was the difference between a narrow victory and a narrow defeat.

Thinking back to Staley's first year:

Dline: Bosa, Nwosu, Jones, Joseph ..... thin, but pretty good
      Linebackers: Kyzir White, Tranquil ....... decent
      dbs: Mdavis, Derwin, ASamuel, Adderly ....... top half rather than bottom half

- they had no business being a bottom 4 defense.

Staley sold us on how he didn't have the talent ... soft peddled as players not fitting his scheme

I bought his snake oil, despite him starting off saying he fits schemes to players talents.

Draft top talent in the upcoming draft and don't worry about filling perceived defensive needs.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I see you avoided highlighting the losing to a green team part.
        So, you are still playing the devastated by injuries number, or you question the vets?

Key vets: Keenan Allen, Kyle Van Noy, Ekeler, Linsley, Mack,.... you can even put Derwin there.
        Compare that with what Jacksonville had .......

Mostly intact: missing Slater, Mdub (due to the idiot playing him the week before), ...... no drop off between Fehoko/Fox and Austin Johnson/Otito.

Losing Davis hurt, no doubt ...... it was the difference between a narrow victory and a narrow defeat.

Thinking back to Staley's first year:

Dline: Bosa, Nwosu, Jones, Joseph ..... thin, but pretty good
        Linebackers: Kyzir White, Tranquil ....... decent
        dbs: Mdavis, Derwin, ASamuel, Adderly ....... top half rather than bottom half

- they had no business being a bottom 4 defense.

Staley sold us on how he didn't have the talent ... soft peddled as players not fitting his scheme

I bought his snake oil, despite him starting off saying he fits schemes to players talents.

Draft top talent in the upcoming draft and don't worry about filling perceived defensive needs.
        Talking about Jax vs Staley's D- the plan was get ahead and force them to throw- which we did, mostly with D. 2nd half they throw at a 6th rd rookie when Davis went out and had success repeatedly while our pass rush got nowhere, and the LAC O struggled to get a 1st down.
        Our blocking and play calling stunk the place up. End of game.
        At least we won't have to depend on Lombardi for O again.

* agree about BPA

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Talking about Jax vs Staley's D- the plan was get ahead and force them to throw- which we did, mostly with D. 2nd half they throw at a 6th rd rookie when Davis went out and had success repeatedly while our pass rush got nowhere, and the LAC O struggled to get a 1st down.
          Our blocking and play calling stunk the place up. End of game.
          At least we won't have to depend on Lombardi for O again.

* agree about BPA
          Davis's loss cost them the game, no doubt.

The question is, wasn't Jacksonville moving the ball with Davis in the game at the end of the first half, and beginning of the 2nd half?

I think the answer is yes.

There was a problem with adjustment, and Davis's loss opened the floodgates wider.
          The pass rush was effective in the first half, and then suddenly disappeared.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Davis's loss cost them the game, no doubt.

The question is, wasn't Jacksonville moving the ball with Davis in the game at the end of the first half, and beginning of the 2nd half?

I think the answer is yes.

There was a problem with adjustment, and Davis's loss opened the floodgates wider.
            The pass rush was effective in the first half, and then suddenly disappeared.
            I'm sorry, but losing 1 guy (even your best guy - which Davis is not) should NOT render the entire defense incapable of adequate play. Staley's coaching (of the defense) in that game was horrendous. He needed to be able to make adjustments to stop the bleeding, or at least get his guys settled down and STOP the panic. Instead he stood by and watched Bosa implode, without even trying to protect him (from himself).

He personally shit the bed . . . . . and I blame him more than the players. He's supposed to be better than that, and it's his RESPONSIBILITY to be the leader, to be the one to stop the chargering mindset before it can get rolling. I had high hopes for him early on and agreed with most of the aggressive play calling in 2021, even when it backfired on him, but I no longer am confident he's cut out to be a head coach in the NFL, and I was very disappointed in some of the statements he made publicly in the aftermath of the Jville game.

He'll probably develop into a good DC (sooner or later), but HC . . . . . ehh - not so sure. I will be very happy to be wrong though!

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

I'm sorry, but losing 1 guy (even your best guy - which Davis is not) should NOT render the entire defense incapable of adequate play. Staley's coaching (of the defense) in that game was horrendous. He needed to be able to make adjustments to stop the bleeding, or at least get his guys settled down and STOP the panic. Instead he stood by and watched Bosa implode, without even trying to protect him (from himself).

He personally shit the bed . . . . . and I blame him more than the players. He's supposed to be better than that, and it's his RESPONSIBILITY to be the leader, to be the one to stop the chargering mindset before it can get rolling. I had high hopes for him early on and agreed with most of the aggressive play calling in 2021, even when it backfired on him, but I no longer am confident he's cut out to be a head coach in the NFL, and I was very disappointed in some of the statements he made publicly in the aftermath of the Jville game.

He'll probably develop into a good DC (sooner or later), but HC . . . . . ehh - not so sure. I will be very happy to be wrong though!
              Yep he’s in over his head. It’s gonna take a massive turn around for Staley to be a Super Bowl capable HC. Sad. I drank the kook aid when he came in. Been a bitter pill to swallow knowing I was conned

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                JH3 and Me
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Alrighty! I feel the optimism for Staley slowly rebuilding here again!

Happy Good Vibes GIF by ZEPETO
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Air Coryell
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2021
                  • Davis, CA
                  • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Staley sucks. Their, fixed it for you.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

All he has to do is show us we're wrong . . . . . . All of us will be happy to eat crow if he becomes a great HC

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Davis is our best cover CB vs deep speed. ASJ is very good but lacks Davis speed & length.
                      Leave a lot of grass open deep, you have to pressure the QB, quickly Every down. We did not.

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

I'm into winning in 2023. Staley is the Chargers HC Not into predicting no hope.
                        I'm totally on board with the staff changes. See a lot of good things ahead. Like dominant offense, great STs, decent D.
                        Bring on 2023!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Davis is our best cover CB vs deep speed. ASJ is very good but lacks Davis speed & length.
                          Leave a lot of grass open deep, you have to pressure the QB, quickly Every down. We did not.
                          I understand that Davis is important, but c'mon - if we're going to fall apart every time someone gets hurt it's going to be a hell of a year . . . . and Herbert better put 40+ points up regularly.

Comment

Working...
                          X